Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Buying American Registration Plates

Hi All,
I am off the the good 'ole US of A in September for a 2 week holiday with the family. Whilst there I wouldn't mind picking up a US number plate as a souvenir (would be nice to have a car attached to it but won't fit on my luggage). We are in California for a week and San Diego for a week. Can these legally be purchased and taken out of country. If so where from and how much approx. Are any more deisrable than others. Any other comments or experiences you would like to offer. TIA.
Mark.

MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
V8 6I

Default Re: Buying American Registration Plates

American car parts suppliers like Mustang or Camaro sellers and the like have them for sale,Ring around most likely $10-$15 will get you one.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you are spending 2 weeks in California?

Surely its legal to take a plate home, a guy around the corner from my mums house has an Old chevy ute which has a real California number plate attached as well as the regular NSW one.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
fordman302

i picked up about 5 different plates at a market in hawaii and had no trouble bringing them home, they had stands with heaps of them, i picked up all different states and i think i paid around 30 bucks after some hagling, the tried to sell them to me for $15 each originally
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im pretty sure they have to get a new plate ever 2 yrs or so ,in florida anyway thats why there are so many plates around
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
So you are spending 2 weeks in California?

Surely its legal to take a plate home, a guy around the corner from my mums house has an Old chevy ute which has a real California number plate attached as well as the regular NSW one.
Ummm yeah, I should have said 1 week in Anaheim and 1 week in San Diego, cause every knows California is a state

Thanks for all the replies.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

My wife and I drove through the southern states of the USA last year - We picked up a licence plate from every state we travelled in.

Didn't pay for a single one - just pulled up at small-town wrecking yards and houses with piles of old car bodies in the front yard and started talking. Met some really cool people - car people always love talking to other car people.

It became a bit of a challenge for us too, particularly on days where we were just crossing a state for a few hours.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

PM sent
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post