Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
mitch

Default Fusion or Mondeo??

Was at a southern Perth metro dealer today getting some work done to my PJ Ranger (yep EGR valve). While i was waiting for a lift i decided to check out some of the new cars in the yard. Just admiring an FG11 XR6 and a new car salesman came over for a chat.
We talked about all the regular things ie. Good supply of the thai built Focus, not so good supply of PX Rangers, complete and utter lack of ecoboost Falcons in the yard for me to take for a test drive. (when i said ecoboost he thought i was talking about a Mondeo , like he didnt expect anyone to even know about a 4 cylinder Falcon).

Anyway cut a long story short, when we started yarning about the Mondeo he mentioned that there is a new model coming (i looked suitably surprised by this bombshell). Now the young fellas on a roll and told me that at a dealers meeting he was at, it was said this model would be called the Fusion, now i WAS surprised as i assumed the Modeo name was staying with the new model.

Has anyone else heard this? I think if its true it would be a great idea as the Mondeo Badge has never done a thing for me.
Ford Fusion sounds modern and edgy to me, great way to introduce a "new" Ford to Australia

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Fusion or Mondeo??

It seems to be gathering momentum to change the name. I don't know if Fusion is built in RHD or if we'd simply take RHD Mondeo with different badges.

They may not have much choice though as last i heard next gen Mondeo production in Europe isn't scheduled to 2014 now and could've delayed even further whilst Fusion is already in production stateside.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
BAFrod

It wouldn't cost them a great deal in terms of marketing/badging to call it the "Fusion" instead of Mondeo. The way I understand it, the name has only ever held traction in the EU.

Calling it Fusion would be a good move. It's undoubtedly one of the best-looking sedans produced in years, you need to live up to that by presenting it as a revolutionary product, and that can only be done with a new name.
2004 BA1 Futura - XT/Ghia headlight clusters, satin black upper and lower grilles, black slim plates, red interior LEDs, Clarion 6.5" upgrade, XR alloy pedals, FG alloy scuff plates, wheels, tint and lower to come...
BAFrod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Fusion is a cracker of a name and I'd like to see Ford Oz use it here.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fusion is a seden only. We get Mondeo Hatch & Wagen, so I can't see the it happening.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Fusion is a seden only. We get Mondeo Hatch & Wagen, so I can't see the it happening.
Fusion and Mondeo are one and the same. Even though the yanks don't get the wagon or the hatch we'd still get them (Mondeo wagon and hatch) badged as Fusions.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Fusion and Mondeo are one and the same. Even though the yanks don't get the wagon or the hatch we'd still get them (Mondeo wagon and hatch) badged as Fusions.
They are different, Mondeo has provisioning for added pedestrian crash safety..

Before, Christmas, a US photographer snapped a Ranger support vehicle with Ecosport in tow
along with two Fusion sedans, all three vehicles were camoed, strange for US Fusions, hey...
So either our next mid sized car is coming from Hermosillo or more likely, Flat Rock..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
BDA074

Fusion name for me!
Hopefully they come from the US and soon.
They can bring the Hybrid with it too!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
So either our next mid sized car is coming from Hermosillo or more likely, Flat Rock..
...or Broadmeadows...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

Deleted.

Last edited by Rico 110s; 09-02-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Deleted could not upload pics
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The US got the refresh first this time. The next Mondeo will be the same as our current Fusion. Everything I've read says it will still be called the Mondeo outside the US, though.

They sell lots of Mondeos in England, so I'm sure there will be a RHD version.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we get it from the US that would mean no diesel.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
You won't get it from the US any more than you get the Focus from the US. Europe (and Australia) get different versions of the Focus than we get, but it's on the same chassis now. There will still be body styles and engine options tailored to individual markets.

Under Mulally, Ford has become very aggressive about chassis reduction and platform sharing. William Clay Ford Jr. was puzzled when he couldn't get a good answer about why the American Focus was two or three generations behind the version the rest of the world got.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
You won't get it from the US any more than you get the Focus from the US. Europe (and Australia) get different versions of the Focus than we get, but it's on the same chassis now. There will still be body styles and engine options tailored to individual markets.
Insider info that Ford Asia Pacific CD4 wiring harnesses in North American parts allocation, something is up,
it might be to do with bundling supplies through common source or it could be more than that.

Do we really think Ford Aust will continue sourcing Mondeo from FoE given so much trouble with supplies?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Hermosillo to start producing Mondeo variants once Flat Rock begins production for USA?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Insider info that Ford Asia Pacific CD4 wiring harnesses in North American parts allocation, something is up,
it might be to do with bundling supplies through common source or it could be more than that.

Do we really think Ford Aust will continue sourcing Mondeo from FoE given so much trouble with supplies?
Certainly lends credence to the theory the Mondeo nameplate will be pensioned off.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or what about a Fusion Hybrid to go up against Camry?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

But USA Fusion is Sedan only. We get Hatch & Wagon currently. Is the USA market getting a new Fusion hatch & Wagon? If not, I can't see them building them just for Australia. If the switch is on, we'll only get Sedan too?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

I agree Mondeo would do better badged as a Fusion here, separate it from the god-awful Mondeo sold here in the 90's. This is a such a better car, and should not be ever compared to that. And falls into line nicely with the 'all our sedans/hatches should start with an F' which I like.

But what is everyone getting into a fuss about? Ooh, USA fusions are only LHD, and not in wagons... etc

Just take a RHD Mondeo built for European market, take off the Mondeo badge, and stick a Fusion one on instead. Job done.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
BDA074

Quote:
Or what about a Fusion Hybrid to go up against Camry?
Exactly what I said! Great plan!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
But USA Fusion is Sedan only. We get Hatch & Wagon currently. Is the USA market getting a new Fusion hatch & Wagon? If not, I can't see them building them just for Australia. If the switch is on, we'll only get Sedan too?
Camry and Accord don't seem to need them but what I was suggesting is that Hermosillo
may become a Fusion/Mondeo plant building multiple vehicles for markets outside North America,
especially with Flat Rock (Detroit) Fusion production coming on line later this year..
Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Benjamin Smith

Ford Falcon
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
Ford Fusion

A pattern is amerging
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I wonder if US production could be leveraged to also get supply into Europe?

Maybe they can at least get LHD supply started?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The outgoing Mondeo uses the EUCD platform. While the new Mondeo will use the Fusion's new CD4 platform and will basically be the same car.

I think it's a great idea, as years ago I wondered why Ford had two similar sized FWD cars sold in different regions, but shared nothing in common other than the badge.

As for what name they should use here, I don't really care. Although Fusion would be cool due to the Ambrose connection.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #25
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going against the trend here, but I think they should keep the Mondeo name. Forget the 1990s first generation Mondeo - yes, that wasn't a good car, granted - but there was a big gap between its demise in Australia and the 2007 re-launch with the Mk IV. The Mk IV Mondeo is a brilliant car. It wouldn't do the new car any harm to have it named as Mondeo. I don't think too many people would remember the 1990s Mondeo.

The Fusion hasn't established a name here. The Mondeo has. The first generation US Fusion isn't exactly a great car either, so I fail to see why it would be a better choice. Stick with Mondeo.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus, at one point late last year, Ford Australia's main page had a picture of the CD4 Mondeo as a "Mondeo". So it's unlikely that Ford would be considering any name changes.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL_250 View Post
But what is everyone getting into a fuss about? Ooh, USA fusions are only LHD, and not in wagons... etc

Just take a RHD Mondeo built for European market, take off the Mondeo badge, and stick a Fusion one on instead. Job done.
The issue is Mondeos from Europe are going to be difficult to get. Genk, where the Mondeo is made, is being shuttered and I don't know if the workers are still on strike.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #28
Mad_Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The issue is Mondeos from Europe are going to be difficult to get. Genk, where the Mondeo is made, is being shuttered and I don't know if the workers are still on strike.
They started producing Cars on Jan 22nd, after a 3 month union stand off. Was all over the automotive press
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #29
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great idea I reckon. Can anyone confirm that Europe is getting the sedan body too? It looks far more elegant than the hatch. I really hope we get the 1.0 Ecoboost aswell.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #30
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Great idea I reckon. Can anyone confirm that Europe is getting the sedan body too? It looks far more elegant than the hatch. I really hope we get the 1.0 Ecoboost aswell.
It seems that Europe is expected to get all body styles.
Quote:
Built on Ford's global CD-segment platform, the refined new version of the Ford flagship will be available as a five-door and wagon - uniquely developed for Europe - as well as a four-door that will also be offered as segment-first petrol Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV).

- http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2013-mondeo/
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post