Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default Natural disasters in SEQ and Vic

Thoughts are with the people in South East Queensland that are coping another relentless hammering with storms and mini tornadoes.
As if those people haven't had it bad enough over the last few years.

It really must test a persons resolve in having to rebuild/clean up so often, I personally haven't been in such a situation and pray that I never will.

It seems the bushfires here in Vic are close to being under control and again my thoughts are with the people affected.

Spare a thought for the heroes that give themselves unselfishly, the CFA and SES in Vic and their counterparts in QLD who often are out helping others save property whilst their own properties are under threat.

Old 27-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: Natural disasters in SEQ and Vic

Thoughts also go out for those affected.
Not having a go, but I hate media reports of "mini" tornados. Tornados are tornados. Media really need to pick there game up with that analogy.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Destroyer XR8

Im on the sunny coast, and its been raining pretty heavy non-stop most of yesterday, all night and this morning, its starting to get abit worse now. We've just got warnings not long ago about the possiblity of tornadoes aswell. My thoughts are with people further up north.
Tuned by Real Dyno Performance
270rwkw
Destroyer XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Erm...it isn't just "south east Queensland"...I know the media suddenly goes into a frenzy of reporting when it looks like something might happen to Brisbane, but we're still going through it all up here in central Queensland and have been for a while now...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wind has certainly picked up in Brisbane compared to yesterday.

Both Channel 7 and 9 are airing special disaster bulletins and are really making the situation sound rather dramatic.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on the Gold Coast and although it's been raining steadily through yesterday and all day today, the wind has picked up quite a bit but according to the radar images on BOM, we may not get it as bad as those up north. I spoke to my Dad this morning who is on the Sunshine Coast and they have had around 200-300mm today. It's been an extremely dry summer so far, yet in a couple of days we will end up getting our summer quota!

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

It always amazes me, just as in 2011, one state is flooded and another devastated by bush fires at the same time. Just crazy in the same country.

Stay safe people...
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm in the SEQ region and politics aside I'm glad the Premier (Campbell Newman) acknowledged our neighbors to the north as priorities.

Moreton region is due to be hit within 12 hours but it's already raining cats and dogs! Trees are bending like Beckham, local catchments are being released to flooding is going on all over the shop, multiple local roads closed etc etc.

It's gone from mild to wild in the space of 24 hours, but it's still a long way off what the media is playing it up to be.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cleveland Point getting hit by waves like it normally does on a windy day.

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It belted down here yesterday so can only imagine what it was like up north. 60mm in about 1.5hrs.

Check out the rain on the radar

MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
I'm in the SEQ region and politics aside I'm glad the Premier (Campbell Newman) acknowledged our neighbors to the north as priorities.

Moreton region is due to be hit within 12 hours but it's already raining cats and dogs! Trees are bending like Beckham, local catchments are being released to flooding is going on all over the shop, multiple local roads closed etc etc.

It's gone from mild to wild in the space of 24 hours, but it's still a long way off what the media is playing it up to be.
Was like that here too. The damage seems to be localised. My area was not so bad, others not far away have been flattened.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

It always amazes me on how people vow to rebuild and do so, only to be wiped out again not long after, I admire their tenacity.

I have been a real sceptic of climate change but as these disasters become more frequent one must really rethink their views.

Will the day come when insurance companies refuse to insure those in areas that are frequently inundated ?
I know in some parts of Victoria that there is a 100 year flood rule in place where you cannot build a permanent structure in an area that has been flood affected in the last 100 years.
Old 27-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember having this weather around Brisbane including the tornados some months after the '74 floods.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

It's blowing a gale and rain is light to moderate at the moment 25k's north of Brisbane city, the last few days have been miserable weather.

My neighbours kids and their friends put a smile on my face today: As crappy as the weather is, here they are squealing, bouncing on a trampoline, and chasing each around in the backyard, getting all muddy, and without a care in the world. Niiice!

I too have an issue with the latest media term of "mini tornado". I've never heard this term before this season in the land of Oz. We used to call them rain depressions resulting from a cyclone up north. I'm not a meteoroligist, but FFS keep it real!

I've been listening to local radio (4BC) and am dumbfounded by the advice given. Don't go on the road unless you have to, don't go swimming in drains, don't drive through flooded roads, don't touch downed power lines. Are people honestly that freaking stupid that this has to be broadcasted? WTF happened to common logical sense? (No offense to 4BC intended or implied)

CAMS290: My insurance company for home and contents does not offer flood cover, any other natural disaster apart from war is all good though! Bastards!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 27-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hmm I got done by the brochures, sunny one day perfect the next my backside!

Jokes aside, its been pretty constant here but seems the North has copped it more. Only two weeks ago we were in Tassie watch fires on the horizon and now its non spot rain here...amazing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It happened up here two years ago, then two years before that as well.

As with the other events, all of us up here fear one thing more than any other going by our experiences with the last ones: Once the rain starts to fall in Brisbane & the Gold Coast, the rest of the state will be forgotten about as everyone focuses on the south east corner and resources all head in that direction...it happened two years ago, it'll probably happen again. Hopefully Newman will indeed remember us up here.
Hell, in the 2010/11 floods they even kept saying that "9 people have died in the floods!!"...yes they did...around the area from Toowoomba down to the Brisbane/Gold Coast area. To the annoyance of everyone up here in the centre and north of the state, we gently reminded them that over twenty people had died "in the floods" up here before Brisbane was even affected. The media seemed to forget that and let me tell you, people up this way bloody well noticed it...it was almost as if our problems didn't matter anymore now that Brisbane was being affected.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again...The state doesn't stop at Noosa...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
xrystl

[QUOTE=

I've been listening to local radio (4BC) and am dumbfounded by the advice given. Don't go on the road unless you have to, don't go swimming in drains, don't drive through flooded roads, don't touch downed power lines. Are people honestly that freaking stupid that this has to be broadcasted? WTF happened to common logical sense? (No offence to 4BC intended or implied)

[/QUOTE] But then you get the MORONS (2 today) that have to go boogie boarding in the swollen creeks and waterways and then Emergency rescue personel have to risk their lives to save them , IMHO leave them to the elements to become statistics and they can be the martyrs for the foolhardy - they want to take the risk , let them do it on their own - let the Emergency personel save those whom deserve to be saved.
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Here's a few from facebook I grabbed.

Mrs also has a shot of a tornado on the gold coast but I can't get to it for some reason. Hover mouse over pic for description
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 12-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All over now here but the front has been closed as the ocean has been street racing.

The rivers are still rising as as the Mary flows north I suspect it will be a couple of days before the roads open.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
4stanger