Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Brians

Default Engineers Certificate for a R/H drive conversion

I dont know what section to put this in, Sorry.

I need an Engineers Certificate for a right hand drive conversion for a Mobile home I have imported from the USA,

Its already been fully converted in the states, Its on an Oshkosh truck Chassis,
The conversion was just an unbolt it and bolt up on the right hand side, there have been no welding or other parts modified to make it fit,,

Its imported ready to Roadworthy and register,

Who in Victoria does these Engineers Certificates, Any help would be appreciated,

Also any Idea of costs involved,

Thanks,
Brian,

Brians is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Default Re: Engineers Certificate for a R/H drive conversion

Brian I had this list saved from early 2011. I imagine most of the same people are still in business. You will need someone who can do Imports:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...n16Feb2011.pdf
Old 21-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Brians

Thank you, Thats exactly what I needed, The people who do it,

All the import documentation and approvals have already been done,

The ship arrives here on the 15 of February, So I get it about 10 days after that,

I could not build or buy any thing like it here for the price, $50,000-00 AUD drive away,

1989 Foretravel Grand Villa 36 foot, ORED, 300 Cat motor, 4 speed Allison Auto Gear box,

Has every thing that opens and shuts, all the bells and whistles,

I bought it in August 2012, The wait has been killing me, I am excited, Yeah, and then some,

Thanks,
Brian,
Old 21-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i did a bit of a google on your description , they are a nice looking unit Brian, i think anyone would be very happy to be cruising around in one of those, nice pick up..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'll could be looking at something like this in a few years.

How does it go complying with Aus ADR's ?
Old 21-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wow that looks nice, keep us up to date as I'm also looking at the same thing in a few years, but I'm looking at going tow vehicle + big van.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Brians

Its a magic looking rig. I hope I am happy with it when it gets here, and the time and expense was worth it,

It was converted by a company in California, An ex Aussie who has a car trading licence in Qld and the USA,
I will find out about the ADR compliance next month when I get it roadworthyed and registered,
It should all be done already, so I dont think I will have any problems with it,

Not quite sure, But I may have to put a vertical Muffler on it, But Busses have an exclusion
clause, Thats a wait and see thing,

All the electrics and gas lines and lights have been converted to Aussie ADR's, It has had a left hand door fitted,
It is missing only Solar to make it totally self sufficient, But I will put some solar panels on the roof and hook it into the system, Probably about $300 all up,

It took months of searching on Google before I found it, Then it was checking it out for the lenghts, widths, Overhang, Pre 1/1/1989.

Other wise you cant import them, or get them registered,
Some of them are 102 inches wide, Some, the over hang is too long, It gets quite involved,

Mine cost me $15,000-00 USD, But I could have got a 40 footer for $11,000-00, but I thought it was too long, And there will only be two of us in it,
All the rest of the costs was Delivery, Conversion, Shipping, GST, Customs, Licence, ETC ETC,
It looks like I got mine at the right time, The prices have gone up a bit since then, Economic recovery,
I also had all the horror stories. all the interior wood was rotten, They had all been in Floods, The mechanicles were totally stuffed,

If the bus has been operated by an owner for holidays, Etc, They are usually very well maintained,
And kept under cover when not in use,

Dont buy one thats been permanently in a caravan park or lived in Permanently, It will fall to bits, all the seals will be perished, The tyres will be old and cracked, The interior will have been used to the max and will show it, Generally run down,
Just like a caravan here in a caravan park with an annex attached for years, You probably wont get it out of the gate, Or living near the beach, The chassis will be rusted out by the salt in the air,
I am still trying to get the trailer carrying weight of mine, I wanted to trailer my car and two bikes behind it,
Mine was a year that didnt have the GCVM on it, and I think it is limited to 2000 LBS, The ones before and after mine have limits of 5000 to 10,000 LBS.
Its a retirement thing, I am a Grey Nomad,
Old 22-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Aha bought a 9m Mitsi Fuso last year already converted..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Darren351

i pretty sure the engineer will need to do more than just certify the RH conversion. they will need to check it meets all relevant ADR's . would be very similar to importing a used car.
they will check things like lights , seatbelts , seats , glass , etc etc.
hope it all goes well for you, bus with a nice ford on a trailer behind

I've thought about the option but i think driving the ford around the country is more my style , plans are to fit up a towbar to my XY GT , hook on an old woody caravan and enjoy the ride
Darren351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes things are different in each state too.. Bi-folding doors are not allowed in RV's yet ok for buses which seat more..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #11
Brians

I would put up some piccys, But I have exceeded my piccy limit already,

I lived in a caravan for 4 years while I built my house, I hate caravans with a vengance,
I would rather tent it these days,

This bus doesnt look like a caravan or a bus inside it, Thats why I bought it,

If the Engineer does the lot, that will save me getting individual certificates from different engineers, Gas and Electrics,

All the relevant ADR's have been done fully to meet Australian Regulations,
Old 23-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians View Post
I would put up some piccys, But I have exceeded my piccy limit already,

I lived in a caravan for 4 years while I built my house, I hate caravans with a vengance,
I would rather tent it these days,

This bus doesnt look like a caravan or a bus inside it, Thats why I bought it,

If the Engineer does the lot, that will save me getting individual certificates from different engineers, Gas and Electrics,

All the relevant ADR's have been done fully to meet Australian Regulations,
Register an account on www.imageshack.us and you can upload pictures there and link us to them in the forum Its free and it works.

What is so different about a caravan and motorhome? I'm thinking about a big van to live in and pulling it with suitable tow vehicle, but I'd be the only one living in it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians View Post
Not quite sure, But I may have to put a vertical Muffler on it, But Busses have an exclusion
clause, Thats a wait and see thing,
This shouldn't be a worry, a lot of our new Trucks (Volvo B-Doubles) have the exhaust coming out under the fuel tank.