Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
john.twidale
Starter Motor

Default QLD hooning laws

At our club meeting tonight we were asdvised of proposed hooning laws to be considered possibly as soon as Feb.
Though I'm not sure that all the rumors we heard are true, it sounds as if they are proposing similar laws to Vic. where I understand it's possible to have your car confiscated and crushed after only 1 incident with no right of appeal and it doesn't even have to be you that was driving the car.
We have heard that a ferrari owner had his $200 k car crushed because his mechanic did the wrong thing in it on a test drive.
We had a club member tell us he had recently been given a $330 fine for squeeling the tyres as he crossed white painted lines while turning, and the ticket actually stated that the incident was unintentional. The word is that at the disgression of the officer you can be booked for accelerating too fast, spinning the wheels or not.

The first issue is that these laws go no where towards stopping the trouble makers, the second is that judgement of the infringement is at individual officers disgression, and there is no clear definition of things such as "accelerating too fast" , and the most worring of all is that your right of appeal has been taken away.

If these sort of laws are on the table, their usual trick is to present them on the last day of sitting, at midnight when most are asleep or zoned out anyway and they all just go along so they can knock off.

If you value your car, I strongly suggest you get in touch with your local member and ask him/her to confirm that this is the case, make sure he/she has a good understanding of the actual proposal, and its consequences, and instruct them on your behalf to ensure groups such as reputible car clubs are involved in any discussions, which must take place before the laws are submitted.
REMEMBER this is proposed supposedly for FEB.

Get the word out to every one you can and have them contact their local member, because the only thing that frightens these people is large numbers, faxes, emails, requests for personal appointments.
If I'm wrong and it's all a storm in a tea cup, we've lost nothing, but if it's fair dink, we have everything to gain.

None of us condones out of control hoons with no regard for safety, property, or peace in our homes, but any proposal must actually address the problem and not innocent road users.
I'm off now to look up the Govt web site and see for my self

john toowoomba hot rodders

john.twidale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD hooning laws

Anyone who doesn't think there's going to be some serious harassment under these new laws has rocks in their head.
Even under current laws, they can sort of do it, but these "hoon laws" wil make it even easier.
Case in point...we've lived out here nearly five years, and my bright red 1982 Celica is the only one of it's kind in the entire area and is very visible as there aren't that many old cars out here...I can't go anywhere without some workmate saying "Oh I saw your car parked at such-and-such the other day"...no sneaking around behind the wifes back for me...

Anyway, while my son had borrowed the car to drive to Blackwater, he was pulled up for doing 118 in a 100 zone when overtaking a truck that was dropping gravel all over the road from the back of it. He took it on the chin, it was a fair cop, but he had decided it was safer to overtake than risk a busted windscreen or other damage.
Strangely, in the next six weeks or so, I found that I was suddenly the target of police "attention"...I was pulled over twice for "random licence and rego checks" and again pulled over once "as we are checking for unroadworthy cars" and again for a random breath test one night...not by the roadside at a checkpoint, but by a cop car following me, which I'd never had happen before. I'd never even been looked at twice by the cops before out here.
So you can't tell me the don't actively target specific cars that stand out from the crowd.

It's the whole "guilty until you somehow manage to prove yourself innocent" aspect of the system that should worry people...strike one cop who doesn't like your car and if he assesses that you've "accelerated too fast" or "squeeled the tyres" and you can, under the proposed new hoon laws, lose your car immediately for a few days.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

you mean the police targeted a car that was known for speeding by over 18kms over the limit how outrageous whats next targeting know drug dealers in case there selling drugs will the targeting never end woah is everyone.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Once you take away peoples last rights, they will fight, as they have nothing to loose...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love when these stories are told. There has been a small amount of cars crushed in Australia; I think it has been around 10 or so. All the cars were worth less than $5000 and were only crushed due to them being unroadworthy and to dangerous to put back on the road.

The case of the mechanic taking the car did happen but the car was impounded for 30 days.

This is the proposed legislation.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/Bi...RMVIOLAB12.pdf

Basically you still have to be found guilty through the court to have your car confiscated.

Nothing about crushing the car is in the legislation. It becomes the property of the state if confiscated.

There is also a massive movement with against this legislation.

www.gruntfiles.com
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
The case of the mechanic taking the car did happen but the car was impounded for 30 days
And it was not a Ferrari, it was a Lamborghini Gallardo that belongs to my old family doctor in Perth.
Old 17-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
john.twidale
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
I love when these stories are told. There has been a small amount of cars crushed in Australia; I think it has been around 10 or so. All the cars were worth less than $5000 and were only crushed due to them being unroadworthy and to dangerous to put back on the road.

The case of the mechanic taking the car did happen but the car was impounded for 30 days.

This is the proposed legislation.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/Bi...RMVIOLAB12.pdf

Basically you still have to be found guilty through the court to have your car confiscated.

Nothing about crushing the car is in the legislation. It becomes the property of the state if confiscated.

There is also a massive movement with against this legislation.

www.gruntfiles.com
thanks for your input, I assaume all queenslanders are seing these threads and aware of what is ahead.
Can you tell me where you got the info on the number of crushed cars and their value? do you have any idea of the offence that brought that action?
Old 17-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
crunchbunty

Without turning this into a free-for-all, Police Powers are concerning me. A lot of laws have changed recently. I had two police officers enter my house (while I was in the bedroom). They claimed to have knocked (they might have, I was reading and pretty engrossed). I came out to find them in my hallway. They asked me to sit down while the spoke with me.

What was it about? Someone had called in a disturbance. Obviously they though it came from my house. Since no one answered the door, they 'have the right to enter a dwelling if they have reason to believe blah blah blah immediate danger etc.'

Just to clarify the situation - Alone at home. Reading Australian Muscle Car in the Air Con in the Bedroom. I'm a Middle-Aged (to put it nicely), no criminal record, never lost my license, never been in trouble with cops, Nice House, Neat yard, Volvo out front (XC and XD out back!), not a drinker, not a smoker, no tatts, no rough mates - as boring as a bloke can get.

They snooped around, satisfied that I was boring and left.

But they walked into my home, legally. At their discretion . . . .

And there in lies the problem. AT THEIR DISCRETION. I get pulled over in the XC nearly every time I drive it. Never in my Volvo. I've been snapped by roadside cameras only in the Volvo. The wife has been nabbed for speeding plenty of times in the Volvo, too, But a big 70's machine attracts attention, I suppose.

I had to argue the point over my LPG set up. The cop asked where my blue plate was for my turbo!!! (it was the mixer). They check my lights and go over it. Other times, they just comment on how it's nice to see old cars on the road and let me go on my merry way (usually motorbike cops).

Sometimes they make a big deal. I'm always courteous and polite, but the wrong rozza can still make life difficult.

excessive acceleration is a scary prospect. It is entirely at the officer's discretion. No wheelspin, no loud exhaust, no speeding - - - but if the officer says you put your foot down too hard (on ramp anyone?), you can get done - and it is classified as a hooning offence.

Perhaps the RACQ needs to look into this, too.

Last edited by crunchbunty; 17-01-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: mistake
crunchbunty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbunty View Post
I doubt the RACQ will be interested. But the RACQ is a lobby group amongst other things. What is really needed is for car clubs to band together to form a lobby group to speak on behalf of motoring enthusiasts.
Old 18-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Police have always a right of entry of premises if they believe an offence: is being committed or has been committed or is about to be committed.
They have similar powers of arrest.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbunty View Post
The RACQ is nothing more than a **** factor for uninformed "motorists" (sorry, I should say appliance users) who like the comfort zone of their new Mazda3....

As geniune law abiding vehicle enthusiasts, can fight it all we damn like. It is yet to stop Govco's steamroller powered by the short-sighted perceptions of the presumed general public.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Anyone who doesn't think there's going to be some serious harassment under these new laws has rocks in their head.
Even under current laws, they can sort of do it, but these "hoon laws" wil make it even easier.
Case in point...we've lived out here nearly five years, and my bright red 1982 Celica is the only one of it's kind in the entire area and is very visible as there aren't that many old cars out here...I can't go anywhere without some workmate saying "Oh I saw your car parked at such-and-such the other day"...no sneaking around behind the wifes back for me...

Anyway, while my son had borrowed the car to drive to Blackwater, he was pulled up for doing 118 in a 100 zone when overtaking a truck that was dropping gravel all over the road from the back of it. He took it on the chin, it was a fair cop, but he had decided it was safer to overtake than risk a busted windscreen or other damage.
Strangely, in the next six weeks or so, I found that I was suddenly the target of police "attention"...I was pulled over twice for "random licence and rego checks" and again pulled over once "as we are checking for unroadworthy cars" and again for a random breath test one night...not by the roadside at a checkpoint, but by a cop car following me, which I'd never had happen before. I'd never even been looked at twice by the cops before out here.
So you can't tell me the don't actively target specific cars that stand out from the crowd.

It's the whole "guilty until you somehow manage to prove yourself innocent" aspect of the system that should worry people...strike one cop who doesn't like your car and if he assesses that you've "accelerated too fast" or "squeeled the tyres" and you can, under the proposed new hoon laws, lose your car immediately for a few days.
you're relying on your son's version only

he could have slowed down a little and dropped back rather than overtaking the truck
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Edit: cant say what i want to because politics.

Someone will get "laid"..... it wont be the gov.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I've already been targeted in the wife's WRX. We were driving home past a RBT, all bays were full so everyone was driving past. But I got singled out. My first open bonnet experience. Ended up with a defect notice for the APS BOV. And about 1 month earlier my wife got pulled over for an inspection but they didn't check anything and let her go. My old WRX was noisy as (straight cut gearbox and loud exhaust) but never had a single issue with the police in the 11 years I drove it.

The other day I drove past what looked like a vehicle inspection setup and the cop didn't pull me over as I was in the XR50. That's even after I crossed a single white line (merged into a lane too early). I didn't see him standing there but he didn't seem concerned about that.
Old 18-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only articles I have found about hoon cars bieng crushed are here. This was really pushing the articles to.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...anti-hoon-law/

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...728-10v4v.html

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226162717219

It is funny, I drive my GT been pulled over a couple of times. I would not calling it targetting me, just a random check. ALso all the defects I have had, the things on the defect needed to be fixed.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

get onto this,

http://gruntfiles.com/

Keith is on the ball here in QLD and needs your support!

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I would say keep your door locked at all times so nobody can just enter your house and dont accelerate excessively because cops have always been able to get you for that if they want to.
Its called a display of acceleration,its been around for years in wa and is certainly nothing new here,the law was out way before hoon laws.
I dont see the big deal,dont do the wrong thing and you should have no worries, how hard is it guys...
Instead of worrying about the hoon laws concentrate on not breaking them...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are too many experts and bush lawyers on here.

There is no limit in QLD to how fast you accelerate.
There must be smoke coming from your tyres not just noise for it to be in contravention of the "hoon laws".

Info comes from QLD Police officer in traffic branch, that is a person who for the last more than 20 years has been actually doing it not reading about it on the internet......

N.B. Info current as of Wednesday afternoon.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

There must be smoke coming from your tyres not just noise for it to be in contravention of the "hoon laws".

Info comes from QLD Police officer in traffic branch, that is a person who for the last more than 20 years has been actually doing it not reading about it on the internet......

thanks and I agree,
I get tired of these threads and the claims made in them
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880 View Post
you're relying on your son's version only

he could have slowed down a little and dropped back rather than overtaking the truck
Yes well...do that and everyone else behind you then overtakes you, showering you wit more crap. We did that on the way home from Rocky today and got lovely smashed windscreen out of it. The fact of life out here (which you even see police doing) is "get past the trucks as quickly as possible and then slow back down to the limit, and just hope you don't get the wrong cop coming the other way".

The "facts" might be that you don't have to have smoke coming off your tyres or making a squeeling noise, but I've been cautioned (not actually fined, so there's something to think about I suppose) for "unnecessary acceleration" (I actually believe he used the words "furious acceleration" in amongst his rant) when taking off from the lights on one of my old bikes.
I would wager plenty of people have been cautioned..but maybe they actually can't fine you for it and are just trying to give you a scare...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Aw Geez, there you go again. Mucking up a fun thread with facts from people who actually know what they're talking about
Old 20-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Chrismaz
'FG XR6 Turbo'

Quote:

Couldn't agree more!

Previous: Capri MkI 3000GT - XA Falcon 500 Hardtop - XB GS Panel Van - 1980 Escort RS - XC Fairmont Hardtop

FOR SALE: Qld Rego plates FPV05 .... PM if interested in making an offer ...
Chrismaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #23
john.twidale
Starter Motor

Quote:

Yes absolutely correct, but it's not the current laws that are the point of the discussion, it's the PROPOSED laws, and the outline of the proposal while actually on the govt. web site is indirectly actually on the net for all to read. Suggest you have alook especially at the explainatory notes which are the ones the pollies will most likley read rather than the whole bill.
I only have a few years of being a car enthusiast left cos I'm an old coote, just thought those of you with lots of years ahead yet, might want to protect their hobby/sport.
Old 21-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

Have you got a link to these new Hooning laws online?
Old 21-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
garyr
Starter Motor

Become a dash cam salesman make a fortune and probably stop bully coppers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
garyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

This may all be correct (I don't know) but not all traffic police seem to know the rules. I got a defect for a BOV that I believed was legal (some years ago the company got it passed for ADR's) but another traffic police officer I asked about the BOV had no idea what a BOV was.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the discretion of the officer. They are "right" until you prove them wrong which could cost you lots of dollars.
Old 21-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Loss of traction, unnecessary noise OR smoke. Technically getting caught doing 3 burnouts in a period of 6 years (yes 6 years) can get your car crushed.

Police merely need to suspect you of hooning to take your car for up to a month, this could simply be a similar car they saw 6 months ago doing a burnout.

No scare tactics, this IS the law.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Loss of traction, unnecessary noise OR smoke. Technically getting caught doing 3 burnouts in a period of 6 years (yes 6 years) can get your car crushed.

Police merely need to suspect you of hooning to take your car for up to a month, this could simply be a similar car they saw 6 months ago doing a burnout.

This is absolute rubbish. Even if they see you they still have to intercept to be able to prove it was your car and you driving.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post

The police have to prove that the vehicle is the same one with some sort of evidence.
If you have a link or other access to a new law that supports your claim could you let us in on it please.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to take your car for 30 days they don't, to press charges they do.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post