Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Vl turbos

Hey guys was just chatting to another mate last night about how the falcon turbo is now 10 years old and is a very affordable performance car with some nice kit theese day's.

He brought up the fact as when we were teenagers in the 90's everyman and his dog well here in Melbourne wanted a vl turbo but they always held high prices even in the early 2000's when they started getting a bit old.

I was just wondering is it just us or has the ba all but killed the vl turbo scene I mean you hardly see them on the road theese days I remeber they used to everywhere about 10 years ago all the shops here in Melbourne have all but dissapeared.

I dunno the ba is a diffrent more modern car but has it really killed off te vl turbo scene I mean I have seen alot of guys that were devotees of the vl are now staunch supporters of the ba and hardly talk about there 10sec vl's

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Re: Vl turbos

There's still plenty of VL's getting around...I think they are still very much a cult car.

Go jump on CalaisTurbo and see how 'dead' the scene is haha

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

plenty of the vls arnt around anymore, because uleh and all his mates riced the crap out of them and crashed them into the first tree they could find.

lol

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to own a stock VL Calais Turbo. Very cool car to have on your p's as all the girls used to think they were "hot". lol

Bloody thing cost me a fortune, power window switch - $400 big end bearing - $1400 and new radiator / water pump / thermostat $500 all in the first three months of owning it.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Cars are getting old enough to not bother repairing when something major breaks, they are very very prone to rust, had one before they were cool (early 90's), didn't get back in a turbo 6 until the day of the Sydney Olympic games.

With the anti hoon laws now, I would be to paranoid to take one on the road, still a massive cop magnet, and as mentioned the people that thought they were cool back in the day, are old enough to know better now.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Due to VL turbo’s being over 20 years old, a heap of them have been scrapped and crashed. There is still plenty around but finding a good one is the hard thing. Also people who own these are asking for big money. A decent VL Turbo these days goes for the same price as a BA XR6 Turbo.

I think there is a heap of these around, but not many people willing to go out. Also the people that own them are now in their 30's have family and such and are not out cruising. Only take them out on the very rare occasion.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I think people will still pay extra for a good condition VL turbo. But for those wanting a quick car for little money, the BA turbo (or even a WRX) will suit the bill nicely.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

The fact p plate drivers now are barred from driving hipo, turbo or v8 vehicles is the driving reason why these cars are not as common.
They are still around but with police targeting them, the hoon law fear keeps many, mine included, garaged.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

At the powercruise here in queensland, there was a VL with a ford turbo six in it.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well to be honest the donk isn't even a holden made product or correct me if I'm wrong was assembled here out of jap bits.

I see what you guys are saying about the p-plate and hoon laws that didn't even come to mind also I don't see that amny young guys hanging out to drive a quick car off there p-plates would that be cause they get used to driving the boring cars they have like I have seen many p-platers with really nice b series xr6's but alot say there not interested in stepping up to a turbo or a v8 I never really asked wh but I'm assuming the hoon laws and petrol and insurance prices would be a factor
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Well to be honest the donk isn't even a holden made product or correct me if I'm wrong was assembled here out of jap bits.
Correct, it's a Nissan engine which is why it was so good
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

VL turbo thread...*vomit*
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Chopped
as in chopped

Will BA Turbo owners end up with the same "reputation" as VL Turbo owners ?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
VL turbo thread...*vomit*

Always one.

If you can’t appreciate a nice VL then you think too highly of yourself.

I’d love to have a smick BT1 parked in my driveway.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
EVLKNEVL

A point of difference is that the XR6 Turbo has been carried through many model cycles and is now a permanent member in the Falcon range, meaning that earlier examples are likely to continue to drop in value as each successor is released. Since the Turbo models were dropped from the Commodore range after VL, they quickly became desirable and held their value, making them less accessible as a cheap performance car.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of vl's still around not many with turbo engines .Turbo's are good for cheap horsepower not for longevity
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
A point of difference is that the XR6 Turbo has been carried through many model cycles and is now a permanent member in the Falcon range, meaning that earlier examples are likely to continue to drop in value as each successor is released. Since the Turbo models were dropped from the Commodore range after VL, they quickly became desirable and held their value, making them less accessible as a cheap performance car.
This makes far to much sence to be posting here!

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never driven one but you always hear that they are a fantastic ride, but I have driven heaps of XR6T/F6's, goes to show an inline 6 with a turbo works in any make.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Nothing wrong with a good VL...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
robbyj
Rob

I'd happily own a VL turbo. Maybe even a non turbo one. Not because they are fully heckaz az brah, but because they are actually a nice car.

I dont think the boosted falcon has anything to do with the 'VL turbo scene dying off' they are getting pretty old, and nice examples are few and far between asking big $ for what they actually are.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I loved my bt1 exec turbo, with minimal mods it was a weapon (and total sleeper) in it's day
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Falcman0o7
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDC8MwbmjFI
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

There would be quite a few in garages partly dismantled gathering dust, having had a restoration commenced. But the owner has since lost interest due to the extensive rust repairs required in the usual places along the bottom of the front and rear windscreens, boot floor etc., as well as the transmission, motor/turbo etc. needing costly work done.

So it would be more attractive and easier to just purchase a newer B series or FG turbo, and drive that instead. Or a VZ, VE SS etc if the GM allegiance is strong.

Even a VL non-turbo went well, but are not seen very often these days either. Probably mostly crashed or stolen then written off.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I think cheap gen3 equipped commodores have got the attention now, cheap and easy to get power out of...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #25
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vl Turbo was a silky smooth turbo 6cyl in a relatively light body when V8s where asthmatic, wheazy, carby fuelled, and loaded with polloution gear at a time when unleaded fuel was being introduced. Drive any XF and theres no comparison.

VL turbo was a breath of fresh air

Thats coming from a mad blue oval nut
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great looking cars the VL. I still see them kicking about and think to myself "man I would still have one".
I think, as mentioned above, they were in the 90s so guys growing up then would only be keen to own one.
P platers nowadays are still sick for their commodores like VSs and VYs but obviously they can't drive the turbos and finding a clean example VL or VK is hard unless its got the price tag to match
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mate just did a turbo conversion on his VL... as much as I think they belong in Chapel street in Melbourne.... I couldn't hold back a smile when I heard it dosing its head off
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Id happily have a nice VL Calais Turbo with some subtle mods
something like this.

My old mans mate had a VL Calais but with a V8, i was in love with that car.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #29
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big Vl fan, have a nice clean executive that was going to get the turbo treatment before I bought an xrt.

Tucked up in the shed now, will make for a nice 26/30 project one day maybe.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #30
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post

I see what you guys are saying about the p-plate and hoon laws that didn't even come to mind also I don't see that amny young guys hanging out to drive a quick car off there p-plates would that be cause they get used to driving the boring cars they have like I have seen many p-platers with really nice b series xr6's but alot say there not interested in stepping up to a turbo or a v8 I never really asked wh but I'm assuming the hoon laws and petrol and insurance prices would be a factor
A bog stock BA has more power in n/a guise that any factory Vl turbo had ...
Its really a pitty that nissan never offered the turbo in the 3 L skyline range, would have been a good combo that would have handed it to any Vl turbo

Hoon laws aside, there are faster n/a sixes,nice P plate friendly that do bad things to even a warmed 3L Vl,nowadays
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post