Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 
Default Buying a Used Car that is Already Under Finance... ?

Hey forum,
Just wondering what is the correct or best method of purchasing
a used car (from a private seller, NSW or QLD) when the car is already
under finance with money owing ?

- How does one check the exact amount owing and the lender details ?
- Is the cheque payment for the car made out to the finance company ?
- Any other issues or pitfalls?

Thanks.

EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: Buying a Used Car that is Already Under Finance... ?

Usually requires 2 cheques assuming the seller is selling the car for more than what he owes. You need to get the seller to ask his finance company for the exact amount payable on a particular day usually a week or 2 after you agree to buy the car. You need to see this amount on the finance company letterhead this will have the contract number on it very important its an official document not some random figure written on a kleenex. You make the cheque out for that amount and you deposit the cheque into their (finance company) account don't rely on the seller to do this. You then pay the current owner the remainder of the agreed price. Prior to handing over any money get a receipt and bill of sale off the current owner and make sure the rego papers are signed. Thats pretty well it.
If you are buying the vehicle through your finance company they can arrange the payout and cheques for you.

The payout of the finance company must be done on the agreed date or before as the payout figure will change it will increase as days pass.
Do the usual revs check to cover all other contingencies and you should be right.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sums it up really.

One guy tried to convince me that all monies goes to him and he sorts out the debt.. yeah right. Don't get burnt buying an encumbered car.. happens more times than it should.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sold a car that was under finance a few years back and the seller made the entire amount out the the finance company and they refunded me the difference.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

insist on a letter from the finance company saying they have no further interest in the vehicle. they will do this at the time you make the final payment

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Thanks for the detailed advice.....
Cheers.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
cool65
carefactor zero

As Above

Even if it is family, never leave it to the seller to say just pay me and I will payout the finance figure. You don't want car repossessed and still have to pay your loan.

Last edited by cool65; 14-07-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spellimg
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

I wasn't quite sure myself when selling my Sportwagon last year.. I advertised the car for a few K more than I had owing, and told the chap who bought it I needed to clear $36k, and we settled on $37k. He never asked to see my payout figure or paperwork, in fact didn't seem too fussed about the situation at all !

He payed a cash deposit and personal cheque for the balance which I took to my bank and waited for it to clear, before transferring the $36k to my finance company. I organized the RWC in the meantime.

All went well, his money cleared, my bank transferred the money quickly to the finance company, he waited until RWC was complete and everything cleared, then came around and collected the car.

Thinking back, he was too trusting really but I had nothing to hide, and the car was in perfect condition. I could have shown him the paperwork from the finance company, but there you go.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

One thing,
you need to have the finance company remove the vehicle from the encumbered list,
My wife tried to sell her car a few years back, we had paid it out years before but the
finance company didn't do the final step and remove it from the list.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buyer beware because you are in dangerous waters.I have seen people amend the payout figures on letters from finance companies to a lower amount and then re-copy the letter so that it appears to have been faxed.
The finance company won't tell you anything or communicate with you in any way due to privacy laws so you are basically taking the seller at their word.If the car is sold for less than what is owed on it,some finance companies will remove the encumbrance and let the old owner keep paying the loan as long as the entire sale proceeds are put on the loan when he sells the car.I wouldn't touch it.
Old 15-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

walk away just walk away..

2006 BF XL 5.4 3v 220 Barra V8 1 tonne ute. Auto

2003 TJ Wrangler ready to Rock N Roll.. Auto
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs
Buyer beware because you are in dangerous waters.I have seen people amend the payout figures on letters from finance companies to a lower amount and then re-copy the letter so that it appears to have been faxed.
The finance company won't tell you anything or communicate with you in any way due to privacy laws so you are basically taking the seller at their word.If the car is sold for less than what is owed on it,some finance companies will remove the encumbrance and let the old owner keep paying the loan as long as the entire sale proceeds are put on the loan when he sells the car.I wouldn't touch it.
That whole privacy thing can be a pain. When I was selling an encumbered car on behalf of a housemate we had an arrangement with a specific person at the loan office. I could talk to him, and get any details of loan I needed, and in turn I gave him permission to help out and answer any questions potential buyers have.

Any seller of an encumbered vehicle should do the same. If they don't and insist that everything is done by / through them then they are sus.

I would never accept paperwork handed to me from the loan company via the seller... some creative computer work / photocopying can re-word it easily. Either I call and talk to a person at the loan place direct, and recieve paperwork to my fax direct of the deal is off.

You don't need to avoid buying an encumbered car like the plague, just be smart about it to cover yourself.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post