Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default There's a Vee Dub in my driveway.

Thought I might share our latest car experience, the better half picked up her new company car today - a 2012 VW Caddy Maxi (LWB) van, 5 speed turbo diesel. Went to Melbourne last night to pick it up and did the 500km trip home today, so we've both had a bit of time to get used to it now.

I'll just add that this isn't a thread designed to 'bash' Ford or their dealerships, its more just my experience from today which I thought some may find interesting.

1. Dealership-

Arrived this morning in typically lovely Melbourne weather, freezing cold, raining, unfortunately Navman and I quite often disagree on the best route to take (it however always seems to win) so we were running a bit late. Nonetheless we got there in the end.
Initial impressions of the dealership - wow this place is big. Cars, customers and salespeople everywhere. Walked in, greeted by concierge, asked how they could help etc - told him what we were there for. No worries he says, come this way and have a coffee and a seat, read the paper etc, your car is just being brought round now. Customer service? These guys have it down to an art, and it was very impressive to watch. Dealership very modern, had an actual cafe in it, kids creche etc. Good place to be.

Car took a bit longer than we thought due to paperwork issues (not dealerships fault) but eventually arrives round front and centre, salesman in charge of deal takes us right through the car, what it has, what it does, where everything is etc. Very helpful, didn't rush, gave us all the info we needed and even filled car up to the top with diesel as he knew we had a big trip home. Again - customer service? Yes, very happy.

2. Car -

The better half is the manager of a mobility store selling scooters and other stuff to oldies, hospitals etc, so the vehicle she was getting had to be able to carry a fair bit of gear, be easy to drive and park etc and be very good on fuel. This car does all of that in spades - has more little storage spaces than god knows what, uses bugger all fuel, has plenty of go (for a work car anyway) and all the creature comforts. The stereo also was a big surprise to me as to just how good it was. She's wrapt with it, her boss is happy with the price - win win. Few things to go into it like a bluetooth kit etc but otherwise this is one very well decked out vehicle. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs in terms of service intervals and prices etc - the service intervals are set by the car - tells you when it needs it. Interestingly enough they do not do a 1000km service even though the vehicle is brand new, this goes against my beliefs but it's not my car so we will see I guess. First service even from brand new is 15,000kms.

3. Trip home -

Probably not much to report here other than it was very uneventful (in a good way). This is a car that will see long trips doing the rep rounds and I think it will do it well. As mentioned above it has just about everything you could want, and I can see why these cars are so popular as tradie vehicles etc. VW seems to be producing some very high quality vehicles, this is my first experience with one so it will be interesting.

4. Overall -

I went into this using it as a bit of a yardstick to compare the service I've had from dealers over the years, my last one involving a dealership was my FG ute which I bought brand new, and while I enjoyed it I do think that in this case our experience today was better than mine with Ford. That said every dealership is different and it would be unfair to compare a Ford dealer in Sydney to a VW dealer in Melbourne. I'll be interested to see how the Caddy performs but at the moment my opinion of VW as a brand has changed a lot after today - I can see myself owning one.

Old 21-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default Re: There's a Vee Dub in my driveway.

I had the same great service when dealing with VW when I was helping Mum to get her EOS..
They seem to really wanna help out..
I guess that's why we're seeing more and more VW's out on the road these days..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

As a previous Car consultant for VW commercial vehicles, its great to see someone enjoying the Caddy Maxi. I had the pleasure of selling these vehicles for almost 4 years, and I absolutely love the product, and can not get it out of my system.

Congratulations, You have bought a fantastic vehicle
Old 21-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good buy...all those VW vans are staggeringly roomy inside. I've seen a few of the larger ones made into mobile homes with no outside mods (like raised roofs, etc), and they still have a fair bit of space in them. The fuel economy with the diesel ones was ridiculous as well.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Good buy...all those VW vans are staggeringly roomy inside. I've seen a few of the larger ones made into mobile homes with no outside mods (like raised roofs, etc), and they still have a fair bit of space in them. The fuel economy with the diesel ones was ridiculous as well.
500kms and we still have 3/4 of a tank left. I'm impressed.

And roomy too as you said. This one has tie downs etc already in it, a big help for what it will be used for.
Old 22-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Interestingly enough they do not do a 1000km service even though the vehicle is brand new, this goes against my beliefs but it's not my car so we will see I guess.
perhaps they do it at the factory, or at least, bed in the engine before it goes in the car?
Old 22-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

500km and 3/4 a tank to go?! How big is the tank?

See how good customer service works, sure they dont get extra cash from your sale, but how many people have now read this and possibly send business their way.. Very smart
Old 22-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Good on ya mate, before i bought my car i went and drove a Golf GTi and they were fantastic to me best customer service ive had for a long time. Alas when i went to drive a Focus it was a different story.
Enjoy it and the awesome build quality. Gonna guy a GTi?
Old 22-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Haha no GTI for me, a recent change in my work situation means that in the coming months I may be looking for a work ute and this experience has got me giving the Amarok very serious consideration.
Old 22-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
500km and 3/4 a tank to go?! How big is the tank?

See how good customer service works, sure they dont get extra cash from your sale, but how many people have now read this and possibly send business their way.. Very smart
As the owner of the Caddy's big brother I can definately vouch for the product and my vehicle experiences, VW dealer service has been equal to President/Brighton Ford so it's no better or worse, although considerably more expensive. As to the fuel economy, I'd suggest at the moment it's showing a very high average speed and there is no way a Caddy will get near 1500km out of a tank and might crack 1000km if it's all freeway. Official figure for freeway is 5.3L/100km and it's a 60L tank. Still it's always a pleasant shock when you fill up after some gentle driving and see your range listed at 1100km. Usually ends up 750-850km everytime.They are the class leading vehicle in it's segment although I still can't get enamoured with dsg versions. When you look at a windowless model with the rear 1/2 body pressing, it's almost a work of art, faultless, seemless and smooth, lol.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 22-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post