Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Australian Fleet Sales Trade-in Offer

G'day guys,

Just got a quick query to see if anyone has traded their car in with AFS.
I did an online quote thing yesterday, added as much detail as I could about my car (link in sig if you wanna give me your guess on what it's worth).
Basically, it's an white auto BA XR6 140,000km lowered and wheels and a few Ghia upgrades.

Now I was expecting maybe $8k tops from them, $10-11k privately max. But yesterday evening the local dealer rang me and said based on what you wrote I'm offering $11-13k. I kinda couldn't beleive it and I said I would have been happy with $10k (prob not the smartest move on my part.)

Now what I'm asking is, why so high? We were on the phone having a good chat for about 40 minutes and during that time asked what I'm looking for, I said my aim is an FG XR6T but my budget is low 20's max. I said I was going to browse the auctions in the coming weeks and months.

He said yeah no worries, come in for a test drive I've got a few in the yard and even a few G6ET's. I said I couldn't afford one of those.

So I'm thinking to get their money's worth they'll try and up sell me on a car I can't afford and recomemned their finance which I'm sure is really high.

Is their anything stopping me from taking his offer of my car and buying somewhere else, do they have a clause saying if I trade here I must buy here?

Thanks, I know I dragged on a bit but I want to make sure I make the best decision I can with this. The car I buy now will be with me until I buy a house, so has to last a few years.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Australian Fleet Sales Trade-in Offer

They offer you heaps in exchange for a sale at a hugely inflated price...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My guess is that if you sell them the car for cash, the price they give you will be less than the trade in price. Trade in price has little to do with car value - it has more to do with the changeover price on the new car they want you to drive away in from their stock.

So if you know the price they are giving you is high, what do you reckon that means for the prices they sell at?

I'd sell privately, and buy at auction - almost the best way you can get a new car (free is the best).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

You can be certain that a dealer offering you a great trade in is his way of getting you to his premises.

How to sell a car from the movie SUCKERS
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stay away from Aus Fleet Sales.

They offer massively inflated trade in's, there vehicles are generally well over market value, have high k's and more often than not have mechanical issues that they will do whatever they can to either avoid repairing all together or take the cheapest option only to drag it out for as long as possible till your outside your warranty period.

I know this first hand as i was broker in the auto industry many moons ago and know alot of people in the industry and the list of horror stories from people that have been stitched up by this mob are endless.

They also will do whatever they can in order for you to use there finance, which is where they make the bulk of the $$

Save yourself the heartache and stress and walk away.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol im glad the word is spreading about these crooks, i had a workmate that used to work for this mob and he spilled his guts on all the shifty things they do, too much to explain here but what others have said is completely true, STAY AWAY!!
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
.FoMoCo.

I can also say I have dealt with these clowns... and walked away without buying.

The warning signs were there; ridiculously high trade in offer, they did a mock show of putting my car in a special "assessment area", opened the doors, boot and bonnet, had some junior guy look at it, while the sales guy took me aside and showed me the car I came to see. It was an AU Fairmont which was priced at about 10 grand, at the time that was very cheap. The catch? The right rear quarter was stoved in pretty badly!

No deal I said, he then proceeded to show me an EL with one door a different colour and the windows not working. He was so desperate to sell it was embarrassing. Took me into the office for the high pressure tactics like showing me what the car "cost" him, with the top secret invoice sheet. Next he tried appealing to my Mrs who was seated next to me... All the while saying "believe me" over and over.

All in all it was an amusing but time wasting experience.
Old 17-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Offered me 8 grand for the EL

Tried selling me a 60g FG Superpursuit...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

What GT 160 said! Run as fast a you can from these con artists.

Years ago (2002), I was looking around and told the bloke i was just window shopping with no intention of buying anything at this time, with my first car which was a 1983 XE Falcon with about 95000km's. They offered to do a validation anyway and offered me $7000! So I asked about an EF they had and the next thing I know I'm test driving it! They never gave me the price on the EF even after asking about a million times. After the drive the salesmen took me into the office for a cuppa and talked about how good the EF was and that it was basically the same as the AU III XR6 VCT.

Then out came paperwork! Again I underlined that I wasn't here to buy just looking. Which they said they understood but its just for me to look at. Then I spotted the changeover price! $20,000!

At this stage the red must hit me. I pointed put out it was them who offered the stupid trade in price, and that an EF GLi was worth no more than $10,000 anywhere. And proceeded to walk out. The junior sales assistant stood in the door way so I could not get out, and the senior guy then started swearing and calling me all sorts of names for leading them on and that he (senior idiot) was the nations best salesman for AFS (showing off some home made AFS awards).

After coping this for about 15 mins I pushed past jr and got in my car and left with Snr continuing his rant in hot pursuit.

Never been back to an AFS since. Never will. Idiots.

So save your time and dignity and go somewhere that had a good rep. Not these clowns.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 17-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'd sell privately, and buy at auction - almost the best way you can get a new car (free is the best).
+1 for this idea, have dealt with auction places on several occasions, they often have cars listed at fixed prices, usually good, there is very little shenanigans and BS, you can test drive, get 3rd party mechanical inspections on them (one place even recommended a quality inspection mob) and generally just get on with it.

Good luck anyway.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .FoMoCo.
+1 for this idea, have dealt with auction places on several occasions, they often have cars listed at fixed prices, usually good, there is very little shenanigans and BS, you can test drive, get 3rd party mechanical inspections on them (one place even recommended a quality inspection mob) and generally just get on with it.

Good luck anyway.
Yes, I second that.
Sell your current vehicle privately for the money you want and then go to the auctions, they are good to deal with.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
barra T
Banned

Even Gary Lyon agrees.

barra T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
buggo
[BU66OS]

Thanks very much for everyone's input, it really helps me out a lot. This is my first car so have zero experience in the whole selling/ trading/ negotiating shabang. I'm not a dumb kid and have done my research on what I want to achieve but don't want to risk getting caught up in the sweet talk of a swifty salesman, not that I would ever sign the papers there and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
My guess is that if you sell them the car for cash, the price they give you will be less than the trade in price. Trade in price has little to do with car value - it has more to do with the changeover price on the new car they want you to drive away in from their stock.

So if you know the price they are giving you is high, what do you reckon that means for the prices they sell at?

Yep I agree 100%. When he brought up G6ET's I knew he was after a $20k+ changeover on a lower end example.
And yep sell private-buy action was always my intention since I've planned on selling. This quote was more to get an idea of what a 3rd party thinks my car is worth, someone that hasn't had it for 3 years and have that connection I no doubt have. When he said $13k but he had my attention, which I'm sure was his intention, to get me in for a test drive.

Quote:

Good luck anyway.
What auctions is that with mate? I was under the impression that with auctions their was no test drive etc, just an internal status report on the car. Which I suppose is the only downside to an auction house, especially if you don't know exactly what you're after and what to look out for.

Again cheers everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 17-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
...you can test drive...
test drive auction cars?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You can be certain that a dealer offering you a great trade in is his way of getting you to his premises.

Spooky... That sales guy is a dead ringer for the guy I dealt with! .... But with a Lebanese accent.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
test drive auction cars?
Sure, the ones listed as a fixed price sale.

Should have been clearer, the vehicles that go to auction you cannot test drive or have inspections on, just the fixed price ones. A couple of places I have dealt with:

Car auctions Sydney, and carlins auctions.

Last edited by .FoMoCo.; 17-06-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added info...
.FoMoCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
AU Mont
Banned

ah yeah the fixed price ones you can, but at the same time the fixed price cars are generally priced 1.5x the amount the cars at auction go for
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
washoutbeach

Just the normal car sales stuff.

The dealerships need to make money so they try to sell the cars for more than they might actually be worth.

If its not Australian Fleet Sales being a little creative, its just about every car dealership. This is what we expect.

The real question is how much overs are you prepared to pay?!

And from their point of view ( present company excluded!) their are some serious cretins roaming the yards intent on ripping them off, treating the salesmen like rubbish and causing trouble.

But in my view, buying from a dealership is a much safer option than a private sale.

Once I bought a car from not an Australian Fleet Sales dealership, engine problems, had to take it back 3 times under warrantee. I could feel the hate when I went back in the second and third time. Too bad. I should have gone to Australian Fleet Sales.

And remember folks, cash price is heaps less than trade in because in trade in they make it up by overs on the purchase.

All that said, there are some dodgy low life people about in just about all occupations and professions and stuff.

Last edited by washoutbeach; 17-06-2012 at 11:52 AM.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
ah yeah the fixed price ones you can, but at the same time the fixed price cars are generally priced 1.5x the amount the cars at auction go for
True, but there is a certain amount of risk attached to buying in an auction. Not to mention the buyers premium on top of what you might win the car for...
Old 17-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
washoutbeach

Quote:
True, but there is a certain amount of risk attached to buying in an auction. Not to mention the buyers premium on top of what you might win the car for...
Yeah, they should offer you the chance to test drive every car at auction they sell.

They could even charge us $50 for the pleasure.

If I was going to outlay $10K for a car, Id be prepared to pay $50 for the privilege of having my mechanic look over its ascertainable vitals.

But even then, no warrantee is there?

A lot of stuff can go wrong with a car, especially when they are not Fords.
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

A product is coming out in the next month so you will be able to trade in online, and have various dealers bid for you car - no strings attached. Just like you put dealer Vs dealer to buy your car, you will be able to do the same for your trade in. When advertising you'll pick, private sales or dealer auction!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

Oh man.... that was a cracker... getting flashbacks from my last car purchase ;)

As for AFS.. was that the mob that advertised top dollar for bomb trade ins on TV, and the cars had different coloured body panels done on Paintbrush??

I remember AFS or a similar mob being done over on Today Tonight / ACA etc. They had sold a $4000 Suzuki swift to an old lady in her 70's for 13,990.... theives....

To the OP... you have first hand accounts and good advice. I suggest you follow it.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
A product is coming out in the next month so you will be able to trade in online, and have various dealers bid for you car - no strings attached. Just like you put dealer Vs dealer to buy your car, you will be able to do the same for your trade in. When advertising you'll pick, private sales or dealer auction!
How will this work mate? I'm assuming the prices will be similar, maybe slightly higher to what dealers are paying now, just with a bit more competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
To the OP... you have first hand accounts and good advice. I suggest you follow it.
Absolutely mate and will follow it.
I've had 4 missed calls and 2 text from the dealer today, even though I said on a few occasions on the phone last night the earliest I can come down is next weekend.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 17-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Oh man.... that was a cracker... getting flashbacks from my last car purchase ;)
I was badly ripped off as a teenager by an unscrupulous yard that did 11% simple interest over 36 months. ( that's 3 x 11% on the whole lot)
So, in 1980 I was paying a third extra in interest for a $3,200 XB 302, I have never forgotten that.
Old 17-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
zRoYz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo
I've had 4 missed calls and 2 text from the dealer today, even though I said on a few occasions on the phone last night the earliest I can come down is next weekend.
Hint if your just browsing car yards & see something your interested in & want more info so have to talk to salesman who will ask for all you details even if you say no. Just give them your name & mobile number but change the last digit so will be somebody else they ring. That way you wont be annoyed with there calls & if you do go back because you want said car you simply say they wrote down number wrong (because it will be only last digit wrong) & then demand further discount because they didn't ring you.
zRoYz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

When i was looking for the wagon i have now, i thought id ring up AFS to see what they have.
Blah blah blah, bloke said they dont sell cars older than 10 years and he told me the BA wagon was the same as an AU but newer blah blah blah i should cosider blah blah.

Laughed at him then terminated the call...I dont like being sworn at.....BA same as an AU pfff...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote from Mr Brooksy above:
"And proceeded to walk out. The junior sales assistant stood in the door way so I could not get out, and the senior guy then started swearing and calling me all sorts of names for leading them on and that he (senior idiot) was the nations best salesman for AFS (showing off some home made AFS awards)".

These kind of intimidation tactics are as low as it gets, I had a similar thing happen not from these clowns but another used car yard. It must work for them with certain customers otherwise they wouldnt try it on.
I had the sales manager sitting across the desk in front of me going 100 mph on the verbal and two sales people, one standing blocking the door way and one sitting up close between me and the door all in an office that you couldnt swing a cat in.
The mood in the room changed quickly when they realised there was no sale to be made.
Its good to be aware of this rubbish, it happens quickly, starts off all warm and friendly then escalates real fast into a hard sell.

Last edited by GTPete; 17-06-2012 at 07:29 PM.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
zRoYz
Starter Motor

GTPete it is shameful there tactics work on some people, when I bought my BF there was a mother & daughter also buying a BF (new cars). I had done my deal & was outside when they walked out & I just happened to ask them what they bought & they told me all the facts. I didn't want to make them feel bad with there purchase so said nothing but they paid $2K more & there finance rate was 10%, mine was 7% & I also got free window tinting. My fav tactic is salesmen leaving you to ask manager for best price & extra discounts when your pushing them to try to make out like it's going to be some special deal out of the norm. As soon as salesman leave the office to do that I walk out, if they don't know best price then they shouldn't be selling.
zRoYz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, you could write a book on all this rubbish. No wonder the industry has such a bad rep. You gotta feel for the ones that get caught out, typically their the people that can least afford to be paying more,
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Ive only Had the 1 experience with these guys and admittedly good. My deals were with cash. No finance. I traded in a ran down project 300ZX with some major compression issues and my old work car, a Nissan Pathfinder. The carbi had more mud then fuel in there, trade in of 11K in total plus 17K cash for a pretty new VYSS Commo. I was happy with them overall. Better then the Parra Rd "Specials"...
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post