Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Arrow Holden Colorado 7 SUV to debut in October

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...uv-sales-30831

Quote:
GM Holden expects to almost double its relatively miniscule presence in Australia’s booming SUV sector with the addition of two all-new models over the next 12 months: the full-size Colorado 7 seven-seater and the five-seat Trax compact.

Both models have already been revealed globally and should make their simultaneous local debuts – alongside the similarly all-new Volt and Cruze Sportwagon - at the Australian International Motor Show on October 19, following the Colorado 7’s global launch earlier that month and the Trax’s world production premiere at September’s Paris Motor Show.

To be sold as the new Chevrolet Trailblazer in other markets, the new Colorado ute-based seven-seat wagon will be Holden’s first direct rival for rugged three-row off-roaders like Mitsubishi’s Triton-based Challenger, Nissan’s Navara-based Pathfinder and Toyota’s top-selling Prado since the Jackaroo disappeared in September 2004.

Unlike the diesel-only Challenger and Pathfinder, however, the Colorado 7 is expected to be available with both diesel and petrol engines, in the form of the new 2.8-litre Duramax four-cylinder turbodiesel that powers the majority of new Colorado ute models, as well as the Port Melbourne-made 3.6-litre petrol V6 that powers Colorado in the Middle East.

The twin-pronged engine strategy will represent the most formidable attack on Toyota’s segment-leading Prado, which is available with both petrol and diesel engines in both three- and five-door wagon bodies. Prado sales have boomed by almost 44 per cent this year, with 7707 sales accounting for a dominant 18.6 share of the mainstream large SUV segment.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mike Devereux told motoring.com.au that the Colorado 7, which will be produced alongside its ute namesake in Thailand and is due in local showrooms by November, and Trax – due here in mid-2013 – will almost double Holden’s share of total SUV sales.

“Our SUV share is about seven per cent now, but with three SUVs it should be well into double digits,” he said, adding that Holden’s SUV share should eventually come into line with the brand’s overall market share, which currently stands at 10.5 per cent – down from 12.4 per cent at the same point last year.

To May this year, the mid-size Captiva 5 holds a 6.6 per cent share in its segment, while the larger Captiva 7 accounts for 10.1 per cent of all sub-$70,000 large SUVs sold.

Holden says the Colorado nameplate attracts more repeat buyers than any other model it sells (including the Commodore) and it hopes to leverage that loyalty with the all-new Colorado 7 – a name that Holden successfully lobbied to introduce here instead of adopting the vehicle’s international Trailblazer moniker.

Australians last year purchased more than 80,000 medium SUVs, so Holden should easily sell 10,000 Colorado 7s in 2013 – almost all of which will be incremental.

The Trax, meantime, will be Holden’s first genuine entrant in Australia’s largest and fastest-growing SUV entrant, positioned below the Captiva 5, which opens at $27,990.

“I think our biggest Achilles heel from a market share standpoint is that we haven’t had an SUV portfolio,” said Mr Devereux.

“The Colorado 7 is a true seven-seater, a big rugged SUV that is based on the Colorado. Importantly, the vehicle was styled from the beginning to be an SUV, so this isn’t an SUV that’s been made from a ute – it’s a real SUV.

“It obviously has all the off-road credentials. It’s something we used to have in our portfolio years and years ago and it’s something that will go very well in different areas of the country that we don’t currently sell SUVs into.

“Another fantastic SUV is the sub-Captiva-size SUV called the Trax. The Trax will be a great little urban SUV for a lot of folks, offering great class-leading technology. Small SUVs have grown 57 per cent over the past 12 months and we don’t have one to sell.

“We’re going to have a big SUV and we don’t have one of those (now) and we don’t have a small SUV and we’re going to have one of those too, so we’re going to be in the heart of target market for those types of vehicles.”

While its almost identical sister model from Opel, the Mokka, remains under consideration for Australian release, the Trax will arrive here around the same time as Holden’s new Malibu medium sedan, which will replace the unloved Epica six-cylinder.

“We really haven’t had a mid-size vehicle with a petrol four-cylinder engine for probably more than 10 years,” said Mr Devereux. “It’s been that long since we’ve had a real competitor for the Accord and Camry, so we’re very excited about that vehicle.”
Soooo Ford, where's the T6 SUV at? You've been very quiet on this front of late.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Colorado 7 SUV to debut in October

What a crap name.. Colorado 7...pffft. Why not just call it a Trailblazer like in other markets.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cruze Sportswagon ???
Old 15-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yep and it's not going to be made here either.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bit of an SUV assault by Holden.. also awaiting Fords reply. next gen Kuga? and where is Ranger wagon?
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Motorbreath310

The Cruze in my opinion is a decent looking car. That thing though just screams pure Daewoo.

C'mon Ford! T6 suv and maybe a Ranger 335 even just to generate interest in the brand!

EDIT: meant the Ranger 335 as a one-off concept for auto shows etc.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
bit of an SUV assault by Holden.. also awaiting Fords reply. next gen Kuga? and where is Ranger wagon?
Unlike Holden, Ford Australia is working on it...here....

Edit: Paul Gover's first drive (in todays' Carsguide newspaper) of the Colarado ute states quite emphatically not in the same class as Ranger and BT50...maybe Holden should drop the bit about their local involvement in it's development...and we all know Gover's general thoughts on the General's products, lol

Last edited by Dr Smith; 15-06-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Chopped
as in chopped

I drove alongside a Raptor a few days ago.
I didn't realize how big and tough looking they are.
It makes all other "SUVs" looks like girls cars.

Raptor for me please.
Old 15-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Cruze Sportswagon ???
No, that would be the eye-watering Orlando......

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I drove alongside a Raptor a few days ago.
I didn't realize how big and tough looking they are.
It makes all other "SUVs" looks like girls cars.

Raptor for me please.
Yeap. I love the big American vehicles.

I think i'd prefer a New Chevy Suburban over a Colorado 7
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith

Edit: Paul Gover's first drive (in todays' Carsguide newspaper) of the Colarado ute states quite emphatically not in the same class as Ranger and BT50...maybe Holden should drop the bit about their local involvement in it's development...and we all know Gover's general thoughts on the General's products, lol
Unfortunately they need only have to have the colorado utes in stock to sell them as Ranger has at least a three month wait, my local dealer says i have to wait four months if I want to get a new Ranger. That is ludicrous!
Old 16-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd rather wait 4 months for a car that was designed here
Old 16-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghia
I'd rather wait 4 months for a car that was designed here
I am with you there 100%. Problem is how many wont?
Old 16-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Check out the Ranger thread if you think 4 months is a long time to wait for a Ranger.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #15
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Ranger wagon think it was called expedition and it was done when I toured the Factory with the falcon turns 50 tour I won in 2010. they even had it sitting in the design studio covered over
probably dont want to canabilse any Terri sales i would think
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Isn't the Ranger 'wagon' called Everest or something? *disclaimer failing old man memory*

Also...WAForce8 check Carsales, most variants are on there excluding Wildtrak, dealer allocation is a wee bit odd tho. (not sure about supercab either)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Unfortunately they need only have to have the colorado utes in stock to sell them as Ranger has at least a three month wait, my local dealer says i have to wait four months if I want to get a new Ranger. That is ludicrous!
And I have to wait upto a year for a new VW Transporter van which is more rediculous yet compared to it's opposition it will be worth it.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

what!! no cruze ute..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith

Remembering that Ford is clearly targeting Prado with next "Everest", sounds like Colorado 7 falls way short..

I hope Ford actually calls it Explorer for markets outside of the USA, that name would work well in Australia.

Prado starts at around $60K and tops out just under $100K, boy wouldn't that help FoA's local manufacturing justification...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Also...WAForce8 check Carsales, most variants are on there excluding Wildtrak, dealer allocation is a wee bit odd tho. (not sure about supercab either)
Admittedly we only asked about base model crew/dual cabs, but i can only go off what the dealer principal said. "You would be pushing it to have one ready for collection within 4 months be it base or XLT"