Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Default Brakes Ford Falcon AU III Forte

Hello Everyone,

I have got a Falcon AU III forte and recently I have got the front & rear brakes done. By this I mean, both rotors and pads have been changed. I have used RDA Slotted rotors and Bendix Heavy Duty Pads for both front & rear.

RDA Rotors
Front - RDA502S
Rear - RDA503S

Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Front - DB1375-HD
Rear - DB1376-HD

I choose these parts as I do fair bit of towing.

The parts were fitted by a qualified mechanic with 20 years experience.
Since I have got these fitted, there is noise coming from the wheels like metal to metal rubbing noise. I took it back to the mechanic and he said that the noise is normal in these brakes and it would go with time. I have now driven more than 1000km and the noise is still there. The rubbing noise is there even if I am not applying brakes. The noise is not constant and only comes when the wheel has completed the circle. So, when the wheel turns half way there is no noise and when it turns other half, I can hear the noise. The noise is more audible at low speeds.

It seems to me that the noise is coming from the rear wheels. I am not sure if this noise is related to the brakes as the noise is always there when driving doesnt matter if I am using the brakes or not.

I would like some expert advice here.

Thank You,
Sean

ford_mytoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Brakes Ford Falcon AU III Forte

only thing i can think of is your hand brake shoes are dragging on the rotors and not disengaging properly? second idea is not brakes at all but diff issues but im no expert just my guesses.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I would get someone in the back seat, windows down to have a listen whilst you drive. easy way to locate the noise and you can check if its coming from both sides, hard to do from the front drivers side (and not crash into something whilst you are listening )

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Dragging handbrake would be my guess too. Try this: Reverse car at low speed and then slowly pull handbrake on until car stops (do NOT use foot brake). Then drive forward - if noise is gone, it was your handbrake shoes and the reversing procedure helps to realign them inside the disc. If the noise is not gone, then the handbrake may actually need backing off as well.

Only other option is wheel bearings, but that would be a high frequency whirring noise and you would know it I reckon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Dragging handbrake would be my guess too. Try this: Reverse car at low speed and then slowly pull handbrake on until car stops (do NOT use foot brake). Then drive forward - if noise is gone, it was your handbrake shoes and the reversing procedure helps to realign them inside the disc. If the noise is not gone, then the handbrake may actually need backing off as well.

Only other option is wheel bearings, but that would be a high frequency whirring noise and you would know it I reckon.
That was my next guess JC

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
only thing i can think of is your hand brake shoes are dragging on the rotors and not disengaging properly? second idea is not brakes at all but diff issues but im no expert just my guesses.
I think you are right !

I didn't think of that....thanks
Old 16-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
I would get someone in the back seat, windows down to have a listen whilst you drive. easy way to locate the noise and you can check if its coming from both sides, hard to do from the front drivers side (and not crash into something whilst you are listening )

UK
The noise is coming from LHS Rear wheel
Old 16-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
That was my next guess JC

UK
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

You all are right !

I did reverse car and pulled the hand brake. It made a loud screeching noise....my heart skipped a beat

But now I don't hear any noise while driving. I nearly drove 40km and kept checking intermittently and seems ok. I will keep a check and get back to you soon.

Till then it seems the problem is with hand brake shoes. Any ideas how I can fix it for good. Cost/labor/parts involved ??
Old 17-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

theres an adjustment tutorial in the technical resources section for aus if your mechanically minded if not ull need a brake guy to do it and if the shoes are bung youll need new shoes.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
theres an adjustment tutorial in the technical resources section for aus if your mechanically minded if not ull need a brake guy to do it and if the shoes are bung youll need new shoes.
I couldn't find the tutorial, is there a link ?

The noise has come back again. When I lift the hand brake lever a little bit it goes away.
Old 29-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

just do what JC says - use your handbrake every time you reverse and you'll be sweet
Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Gday,

Can you guide me to the link for handbrake adjustment in the tech resources ?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
just do what JC says - use your handbrake every time you reverse and you'll be sweet
reversing with handbrake is not helping anymore....handbrake shoes are dragging and needs to be adjusted.