Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

Default different effects of different alcohol?

i was reading this on another forum and made me wonder if different booze actually effects people differently.

i found that there is "no chemical reason" by googling, but im interested to see what people say?

i find all alcohol makes me happy and loud then sleepy, but been drunk in different circumstances make me the different type of drunk.

a mate says that Jack makes him angry after he punched a wall and got into an argument with his old man and wont touch it again. but i put it down to other factors as to why he got angry...

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
LOWAU

Default Re: different effects of different alcohol?

Interesting subject, I always wondered if there was a difference.

I find wine makes me more mellow especially red. I can also tell the difference between being drunk on beer and spirits, different feelings.

I have also heard the story that spirits can make people more angry but I think its because you can drink a large amount of alcohol within a short amount of time.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Alcohol is alcohol, really. As you've searched, same chemical makeup.

The largest difference would be as suggested.. you can usually consume more spirits in a shorter amount of time than you can beer but that all depends on how you drink them. If you're mixing with Coke or another high sugar content mixer, perhaps the additional sugars or other additives could change the effects.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

i reckon i put it down to environment and who/where your drinking.
sitting at home (drinking with jesus ) you dont tend to get as angry or loud just drunk...light headed, spinning ect
at the pub with mates, theres drinking competition so you become louder and possibly aggressive
drinking wine would be with "more sophiscated" people so less chance of been aggressive but more mellowed and knowledgable lol

thats seems to be my take, but like i said interested to hear peoples opinions

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the ingredients that goes into the drink play a big factor.

I had an ex who would drink beer no problem could put it down like it was going out of fashion, but when she drank jim beam she would passout.

She could drink Vodka and it would have the same effect as beer. Happy and such. But Jim Beam would kill her.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Have a few mates that get aggressive when they drink Bundy Rum. Anything else and they are fine but Bundy makes them want to fight everyone.

I'm just a happy drunk and make everyone have fun no matter what the drink. I sing, dance and just make a general idiot of myself lol. Most of my mates and I can drink beer all day like its water, its the stronger stuff that makes things interesting. If someones to drunk you give them a beer to sober up most of the time. Probably not a good thing but thats how it is.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Beer gives you a nice buzz, Wine numbs you down, and Spirits slide you into a sloppy drunk state... All depending on how much you consume
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
james22
With da Warlords

Love drinking bundy rum. But too much makes me agro. Can drink vodka or beer all day but not rum?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I often wonder if the old "rum makes you fight" is more to do with the sort of people that generally drink a lot of rum and not the actual drink itself. "Wine makes you mellow"...you won't find hard core tough guys swigging back a nice white wine with a meal around a campfire at a bikers rally.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I often wonder if the old "rum makes you fight" is more to do with the sort of people that generally drink a lot of rum and not the actual drink itself. "Wine makes you mellow"...you won't find hard core tough guys swigging back a nice white wine with a meal around a campfire at a bikers rally.
Yeh, they'll be drinking goon
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Any booze gets me happy and mellow... and I don't need much either.

Wine, especially Reisling and Port gets me dancing pretty quickly.

Not a fan of beer unless it's Korean or free. Same with spirits.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 10-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

there is about 10 or 12 different types of alcohol in fermentation or refracturing
isopropyl
Isopropanol
methyl alcohol
ethanol
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those who become violent with alcohol (and there appears to be a lot) usually have some form of "problem"...... One need only look at the happy drunks around (not many of those) and they all appear to be contented in their life.

Just my observations over the years...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I drink spirits (mainly scotch) and am a happy go lucky drunk....I can get hit and couldn't care less. When I'm sober someone hits me, I hit back....Go figure

Misses is a rum lover. She's a happy go lucky drunk too... She could be hit and not worry....sober a different story.

Neither of us like beer, so getting drunk on it, no idea what sort of reaction we'd have.

Personally who knows why some people get violent on certain sorts of alcohol and others don't.....One of lifes mysteries.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Those who become violent with alcohol (and there appears to be a lot) usually have some form of "problem"...... One need only look at the happy drunks around (not many of those) and they all appear to be contented in their life.
Could be a fair observation. I'm pretty happily drunk at the moment - I recall years ago when I'd be out with drunken friends who were all pretty mellow and seemed to be satisfied with the way life was going, no problems whatsoever.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
there is about 10 or 12 different types of alcohol in fermentation or refracturing
isopropyl
Isopropanol
methyl alcohol
ethanol

Yes but the only alcohol present at consumption in any alcoholic drink, is ethanol.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
isopropyl
Isopropanol
methyl alcohol
ethanol
Sure, and the ones you list would cause massive side effects, if not death if imbibed.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bundy makes me want to head but a truck so I stoped drinking it,

From what I understand there is no firm evedence in any of this but, Ive got a freind you can feed beer vodka what ever but give im JD and he just gets mean and angery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyd7_...eature=related

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Even after one stubby I start feeling the effects like slow reactions etc. I can't handle alcohol at all really.

With that one stubby, even being under .05 I still probably wouldn't be able to drive very well.

I don't really bother drinking alcohol, only certain types of beer like porters/craft beer etc and only one at a time.

There is also a special place in hell for all you bastards who ruin perfectly good Coke by putting alcohol in it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Yes but the only alcohol present at consumption in any alcoholic drink, is ethanol.
if you still your own then ad flavour type setup,
the problem is you get all types of alcohol that you must seperate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Sure, and the ones you list would cause massive side effects, if not death if imbibed.
methanol is what your talking about?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To add to the Rum argument:

Take 1 best mate, ADD JD, Vodka, etc etc and he will turn into a giggling school girl and find everything hilarious.

Take SAME best mate and ADD ANY form of Rum.... well... the last time he ended up with a Police offier on top of him because he was engaged in a 10 man brawl outside a nightclub.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not an alcoholic and I also feel the affects very quickly whenever I do drink an alcoholic beverage.

I always wonder why when some people start drinking alcohol, they have to keep going and won't stop until they pass out. I've never had that problem. Same with memory loss, I once experimented on how drunk I could get and I didn't lose memory the next day. I noticed the memory loss seems to be what happens to the females I've drunk with.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Love drinking bundy rum. But too much makes me agro. Can drink vodka or beer all day but not rum?
There are four basic types of drinkers and there are two basic types of drinks.

The two drink types are sugar and starch. Examples of sugar are rum, liquors, wine etc. Examples of starch are whisky, whiskey, vodka, beer etc.

If you are a sugar person you can drink sugar and behave but starch will make you bloated and a bit silly.

If you are a starch person you can drink starch and behave but sugar sends you la la.

If you are in the lucky group that can drink both you never go silly.

The last group are the drop kicks who just cannot drink.

The starch group is most common followed by sugar, both and then none.

It is not the alcohol that causes the silly reaction it is the other chemicals in the drink that react with your body chemistry and the alcohol just lowers inhibition.

Starch and none also go silly on red cordial or soft drink but usually can control it.
Sugar and none have difficulty with vege drinks like V8 etc.

If you are a starch person and you drink 50 beers and then 2 rums you will often go nuts because you are already drunk and the sugar just lights the blue touch paper.

Mixing sugar stuff like coke with starch such as whisky or whiskey after 50 beers will also not go well as the sugar in the coke is the catalyst.

The moral of the story is learn your type and stick to it, you will not get as silly or as sick the next day.

I am a sugar drinker, I have on the odd occasion drunk a whole bottle of bundy over an afternoon and been ok the next day but 6 stubbies of heavy and I am bloated and night is basically over.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

There is also a special place in hell for all you bastards who ruin perfectly good Coke by putting alcohol in it.
Stuff ya

I can neck Bourbon and Coke all night without having any sort of hangover the next morning, I consider myself very lucky but I don't push the boundaries, about 20 or so will pull me up and that's on a big night.

Beer tastes like #$&&%& and I won't drink it ever.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
I'm not an alcoholic and I also feel the affects very quickly whenever I do drink an alcoholic beverage.

I always wonder why when some people start drinking alcohol, they have to keep going and won't stop until they pass out. I've never had that problem. Same with memory loss, I once experimented on how drunk I could get and I didn't lose memory the next day. I noticed the memory loss seems to be what happens to the females I've drunk with.
Yeah, there is a name for that , it's called the "MORNING AFTER" and it isn't gender specific .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #26
old_mate
Smash the Boost

My best mate and I grew up pretty heavy binge drinkers - you know, school or uni/work during the week and get blind friday and saturday nights.

Bundaberg Rum was the drink of choice. Always.

Now aged 28, I can still drink rum and i get good old plain drunk, nice and mellow and happy. My mate (over the last 3 years) cannot drink it anymore as he gets well angry. It's very strange because sober (and when on any other booze) he is just fine and wouldn't hurt a fly but get him on some of Bundaberg's finest and he thinks his last name is Tyson.

I also drink a fair bit of JD and again, no anger issues. As mentioned above, i can't get through anymore than about 6 beers these days before i feel all bloated and such. I also can't drink pre mixed cans of anything - the heartburn is terrible.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #27
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Red wine makes me sleepy within about 30 minutes, white doesn't.
I've read that it's believed the tannins present in red wine are the cause of this effect.

I've never drank enough spirits in one sitting to have any noticeable effect on me. In 29 years, I've NEVER been drunk.

Oh, and I cannot stand beer. The smell alone is enough to make me ill.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #28
Dr Jekkyl

Ethanol is just one of many alcohols.

It is however the one that is found in all alcoholic beverages.

It is overall a depressant drug. This is because it potentiates the effect of an endogenous neurotransmitter called GABA which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter.

In most cases when alcohol is consumed people become relaxed before their coordination then consciousness are affected.

This inhibitory effect is seemingly paradoxical for some people though as when they consume alcohol they become energetic and even aggressive.

In these people it is likely that the ethanol is having an inhibitory effect on the frontal lobe (a part of the brain) which would normally be keeping these behaviours at suppressed.

The reverse applies to dexamphetamines and ADHD.

People with ADHD have an underactive frontal lobe normally - hence the inattention, distractability, hyperactivity and in some aggression. By activating it with low dose amphetamines (a true stimulant drug) the behaviours are kept under control.
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #29
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in AA we hear a lot of true stories about peoples drinking and one common theme is that rum brings out agression in a lot of people.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There are four basic types of drinkers and there are two basic types of drinks.

The two drink types are sugar and starch. Examples of sugar are rum, liquors, wine etc. Examples of starch are whisky, whiskey, vodka, beer etc.

If you are a sugar person you can drink sugar and behave but starch will make you bloated and a bit silly.

If you are a starch person you can drink starch and behave but sugar sends you la la.

If you are in the lucky group that can drink both you never go silly.

The last group are the drop kicks who just cannot drink.

The starch group is most common followed by sugar, both and then none.

It is not the alcohol that causes the silly reaction it is the other chemicals in the drink that react with your body chemistry and the alcohol just lowers inhibition.

Starch and none also go silly on red cordial or soft drink but usually can control it.
Sugar and none have difficulty with vege drinks like V8 etc.

If you are a starch person and you drink 50 beers and then 2 rums you will often go nuts because you are already drunk and the sugar just lights the blue touch paper.

Mixing sugar stuff like coke with starch such as whisky or whiskey after 50 beers will also not go well as the sugar in the coke is the catalyst.

The moral of the story is learn your type and stick to it, you will not get as silly or as sick the next day.

I am a sugar drinker, I have on the odd occasion drunk a whole bottle of bundy over an afternoon and been ok the next day but 6 stubbies of heavy and I am bloated and night is basically over.
As logical as it reads, id say it heads in the right direction
I can drink scotch all day, dry not have a care in the world
Drink boubon and coke , lookout
Years ago i never ever had an issue with scotch was the life of any party
Went to bourboun for a few years and drank it the same volume as scotch and oh boy have i been in some trouble
Im now on scotch can do a bottle in a hour or so, stable on my feet and happy as larry
I only drink the top shelf scotch wont touch the cheap stuff, for some reason theres a difference on the effect
Go to beers, some effect me more than others, heavies, middies or lights any brand they all have different effects,oh and i have to drink lots to get any effect
I dont know why this happens, but spending over 25 years doin my study im happy with a drink that i have control, one that doesnt control me
Ill just throw this in for the young kiddies here,
Drinking for long periods like alot every day or so,not binge drinking, does have long term effects,dont kid yourself it does happen
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post