Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Lajon

Default cat converter

G'day all, I'm pretty sure that my cat converter is stuffed...has anyone had any experience in fixing these? also if i need to replace it what is the cheapest i should pay for one? i have a series 1 4litre lane

Lajon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
aufalco
Alternator

Default Re: cat converter

if your cat is stuffed then your exhaust will start to get a rotten egg like smell coming from it, especially if you put your foot down and heat up the exhaust, standards cats are easily replaced and will bolt straight in and from what ive seen around hi flow cats will need to be welded in for the AU

if i were you and your cat is stuffed i would replace with a hi flow as a standard cat from ford (part only) will probably cost about as much as getting a hi flow cat fitted
aufalco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
AU Mont
Banned

go on ebay, and get the cheapest magnaflow in the correct pipe size sent here from the U.S. for under $100 delivered
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the cat can't be fixed and doesn't always smell when stuffed it may rattle and you may notice a slight or significant power loss with an increase in fuel consumption

A high flow is often cheaper to buy but needs to be welded in , if you have a standard exhaust ( and don't intend on changing it) a standard cat is a straight bolt in item making it an easy DIY job

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Day-mow
rexnet

Could bash it out. Or buy a kenobi cat like I did..... For now.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

my EL one started to rattle, then bits of honeycomb started to come out the tailpipe tip, the rattle then stopped.
i removed the cat from the bottom of the exhaust manifold and from where it joined the exhaust/muffler by unbolting it.
it was a straight though cat now, or a de-cat system.
i bought another one secondhand.

on ebay there are a few around $140 for standard - $170 for high flow designs
i have fitted a few cars with the magnaflow 2.25", them seem pretty good for the price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...All-Categories

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

must..resist...posting..a..broom