Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Best Route Brisbane to Canberra?

Afternoon FordForumers,

Next month I need to go to Canberra, and I plan to drive. I've never done the trip before, and I was wondering which way would be the best way to go? Now my idea of 'best' way is:
Fastest (time wise), and most easy to drive (minimal heavy traffic, no twisty or windy bits). I don't really care about scenery.
Now the three routes google maps has given me is the Pacific Highway then National Highway One, or New England Highway then National Highway One, or Newell Highway.

I will be doing the majority of my driving between 10am and 4pm on weekdays.

Which way would you go and why?

Old 15-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best Route Brisbane to Canberra?

I've done Brisbane -> Coffs Harbour, Brisbane -> Sydney, Brisbane -> Newcastle and Brisbane -> Melbourne before, and always taken the Pacific Motorway route. It's a pretty good stretch of highway mate, just remember your E-Toll thingy. Be patient, take plenty of stops and remember those pesky mobile fund raisers!
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I'd normally say take the New England Hwy to Newcastle. Although there are no reports of damaged areas, due to the floods & more traffic using it, some parts maybe broken up, so it's your call/risk? If you take the Pacific Hwy watch for roadworks (speed zones) & some non-bypassed areas with slow speed zones 50k areas. When you get to Newcastle, take the F3 freeway to Sydney, then take the M2-M7 motorways (cashless toll roads, take your pass) which will get you around Sydney, then take the M5 non-toll at that end/Hume Hwy (straight off the end of the M7 at Prestons), till past Goulburn, then take the Federal Hwy into Canberra.
Pretty much as Google maps says Pacific Hwy then National Hwy 1. If you do go via the New England Hwy, don't follow Google maps & turn off at Singleton & go the back way, continue on the New England towards Newcastle then turn onto the North End of the F3 at Thornton.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

If you're going to Canberra I'd be going down the Newell. And going via Toowoomba to Goondiwindi instead of Warwick.

People say the Newell is boring, but I disagree.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
If you're going to Canberra I'd be going down the Newell. And going via Toowoomba to Goondiwindi instead of Warwick.

People say the Newell is boring, but I disagree.
Many areas of that route have been flooded & parts may still be closed, many sections may also be very damaged with potholes & patching, take it at your own risk. Many places to stop or stay along that route may be closed with flood damage also?
Old 15-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hmm, a mixed bag of opinions. Thankyou to those who have put their thoughts forth - I am now happy to know that I am right to feel mixed about which is the right way to go.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the best way through/around sydney?
Old 16-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
What's the best way through/around sydney?
Where from & to? Different ways for different directions.
Brisbane to Canberra, the way I posted up further, F3 - Cumberland Hwy/Pennant Hills Rd - M2 - M7 - M5 - Hume Hwy. M2 & M7 are the only toll roads going that way, will cost $9.90 each direction (Light Vehicles), 49km of freeway conditions mostly at or close to 100kph.
Pennant Hills Rd will be the slowest point, you'll be through Sydney & out the other side before you realise, taking that route.
Old 16-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Afternoon FordForumers,

Next month I need to go to Canberra, and I plan to drive. I've never done the trip before, and I was wondering which way would be the best way to go? Now my idea of 'best' way is:
Fastest (time wise), and most easy to drive (minimal heavy traffic, no twisty or windy bits). I don't really care about scenery.
Now the three routes google maps has given me is the Pacific Highway then National Highway One, or New England Highway then National Highway One, or Newell Highway.

I will be doing the majority of my driving between 10am and 4pm on weekdays.

Which way would you go and why?
Personally, I would stay away from Sydney, for no other reason than it can be a bit of pot luck on how quickly you get through depending on what day you go through and at what time, any accidents etc. Also, if you aren't used to the e-tag type system, saves you the hassle of having to organise passes each way.

Having said that, cobramania makes a good point regarding the condition of the Newell, so maybe worth jumping on to the RTA website and seeing if they have any info there (I know that the VIcroads site does provide info on road closures etc, so assume the RTA site would too)

I have used the Newell a few times in the past (Vic to Qld and back) and have always found the roads to be in very reasonable nick, never been held up due to accidenst etc, and only ever get a couple of areas where there are roadworks underway.

Of course, if you said that you enjoyed the twisty bits, I'd suggest you go by the Putty Road , but that seems out of the question.

Not sure this helps as it may just add to the uncertainty. Whichever way you go, enjoy the drive for what it is.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Scott

I've done this drive eleventy dozen times, both inland and whilst I enjoy the Newell, I typically stick to the Hume. Brisbane to the border with fuel stops only is bang on 12hrs.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
BrisVegas
Noobie

I drove the Newell in January (Syd-Bathurst-Dubbo-Moree-Gundy-Tmba-Bris)and it was a in great shape except for potholes and whoop de doos either side of Gundy. There's been flooding since then, so who knows?

The Pacific Highway is hit and miss, depending on crashes, road works and general traffic levels etc.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post