Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Alister

Default So how well does a BA XR6T hold up if you roll it at highway speeds and hit a tree?

I did this in October 2010 in the wet unfortunately. Thankfully I walked out fine and only had bruising, cuts and a concussion. I think I forgot the post the pics here...

According to a witness (heard the statement when I went to court for it), I rolled three times and hit a tree.

From what I recall, I was about to overtake a car (it was very wet) and just hit some water and started sliding into the other lane and was about to hit another car so I made the decision to throw it off the road so I wouldn't injure anyone else. Weather was a factor but I shouldn't have overtaken so quick when it was so wet. I have learnt a lot from it and am very grateful I am still here today.

Alister is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
WUB913

Default Re: So how well does a BA XR6T hold up if you roll it at highway speeds and hit a tree?

Wow!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Re: So how well does a BA XR6T hold up if you roll it at highway speeds and hit a tree?

I swear I've seen those pictures before. Hmm...

Good to see you came out of it better then alot of other people would've.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

It'll buff out............
Old 13-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

WOW!!!

I wouldn't bother buying a lotto ticket for a fair few years after walking away from that!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Trek
Blue blooded

Yeah, these pictures have been posted on here before. Factory option, wasn't it?

P.S.: Kidding about the last part, no malice meant!
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'll Buff out!!

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Built Ford Tough!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Ezz
05 BF XR6T

Very lucky to walk away from that... someone watching over you mate!
Fortunately no one else was in the car as it looks like they might not have been so lucky.

Glad you've taken from this the positives of what not to do in such conditions... it's not worth it. I did a similar thing in my car, overtaking a truck in the wet from a left hand lane, heaps of water on the road. I didn't give it a lot of stick... don't need to with all that power at the wheels. Anyway, the back end flicked out to the right and I slid across 2 lanes and finally caught it in the last.... fortunately no one was next to me at the time but there were cars in front and behind. The whole fam was in the car so you could imagine I was freakin' out a little. Didn't do anything excessive and was below the speed limit of 80... probably around 77 at most as I was doing 60 behind the truck until I decided to overtake.

It doesn't take much for a powerful rwd car to butt out on you. Better to drive well under caution than on the limits, especially when the environment can change things... no matter how good a driver you are. Brock showed us all that!
Enjoy the toy at the track I say!
340+kW @ the wheels @ 14psi

Brembo 6 Pots / ZF Tune
BIG Thanks to Chris & Theo
BLUEPOWER Racing Development
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice effort, not a straight panel left on it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^+++for that but where is the evidence that you hit a tree. And not an intact piece of glass to be seen.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the statements about having a powerful RWD car snap in the wet.

I was driving my old man's V8 Caprice, moved out to overtake a truck in light rain and before I knew it I was slip-sliding across two lanes battling to get back under control. I just didn't expect such a violent reaction, but mixture of factors made sure I learnt my lesson.

Needless to say I am suprised you made it out of such an accident so lightly.... a lotto ticket was definately in order!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky you were in a Falcon and not a Commodore.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I think it should be a requirement everyone does advanced driving courses, and cheap *** tyres removed from the market.

Seriously, I was fanging it (no going slow, but not being stupid) around Eastern Creek in the ****ing rain, no unexpected sideways action. Plenty of others did end up finding the wall or only looping it around.

People need to learn proper car control and not be rolling on **** tyres.

Thankfully you managed to survive, but I think (and you admit) better driving would've prevented it.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

you certainly broke that one mate.

an expencive way to learn what not to do.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
I think it should be a requirement everyone does advanced driving courses, and cheap *** tyres removed from the market.

Seriously, I was fanging it (no going slow, but not being stupid) around Eastern Creek in the ****ing rain, no unexpected sideways action. Plenty of others did end up finding the wall or only looping it around.

People need to learn proper car control and not be rolling on **** tyres.

Thankfully you managed to survive, but I think (and you admit) better driving would've prevented it.

110% agree on the **** tyre issue. My ute puts out decent HP and when I bought it the prev owner had fitted some no name chinese junk. They were deadly with even the slightest sign of rain. Switched to Pirrelli and then Continential - no more suprisies in the wet.

The number of posts I see on car forums where people are happy to spend 2 or 3 grand on go fast mods but are desperate to find the cheapest tyres. crappiest tyres is frighteneing.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #17
monts351

Looks like you are very lucky to get out of that one. Its rapidily coming to the time of year when we'll get the first rains here and the roads will become very dicey for a little while. Short shifting will become routine for a period of time.
monts351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this might have been the new Toyota Yaris and thought, "what a fantastic improvement!"

But seriously, proof that people need to drive according to the conditions, and that it can happen to you!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #19
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
The number of posts I see on car forums where people are happy to spend 2 or 3 grand on go fast mods but are desperate to find the cheapest tyres. crappiest tyres is frighteneing.
I was having a conversation with one of the blokes that works in the workshop (at work) about cars, and he stated his annoyance at the government's total focus on one aspect of road safety, and complete ignorance of another.

He told me that they did a review of a few tyres and found that the cheap tyres (that are hardly restricted here) extended stopping distance considerably compared to a quality tyre - and quality doesn't mean anything fancy. Just a solid tyre. I have Pirelli P7s atm. Nothing fancy. Will do the job just fine. I know that it takes no genius to figure out that a cheap tyre will not perform, but still, they did a study on it...apparently...:P

Yet the entire time, the government is pushing the message to "Wipe of 5".
Yes, people should not be travelling "Only a little bit over", but surely maintaining decent tyre standards would go along way towards ensuring that tyre fitted on cars are suitable for most considitions - especially in the wet, and that the quality is at a certain level where the car is safer for both occupants, and helping to avoid pedestrians. Airbags and ESC won't mean a lot when your tyres are piebald after 5,000kms or sliding around in the wet.

But, of course not - no money to make by restricting the sale of crappy tyres...

It was some real food for thought for me anyway...

If I can find that study, I will post it...I doubt I will remember to though...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in my book over taking must be the most dangerous of all driving actions, generally people make risky moves because they absolutely must go now and can`t wait for a safer over taking opportunity, as for giving it the beans to over take in the wet, chalk that one up to experience.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #21
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11311293

That's the old thread.

To reiterate that was my brothers old car. Disappointing to see it brought up again.

Oh and the rims and tyres were brand new off my brothers FG Turbo.

Glad you made it out alive Alister
Old 14-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Alister

Haha small world, surprised someone reposted it from LS1 to here.

First time I have seen that thread - I have no idea why people were talking about 75km/h, I never said on any forum I was going that fast. I told the police that I was travelling at 110km/h, especially since the accident occurred between the point to point cameras. Car was going very slow in front of me, hence why I went to overtake. I remember it a lot better now, took me a few weeks to piece it all together.

Thanks for the comments. To clarify, I'm not making excuses, I was plain and simple not driving best suited to the conditions and I've learnt from it. Tyres were fine as FordACE said. A few days after I bought it FordACE, the transmission went btw.
Old 14-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
blk6t

Glad to see no one was hurt.

Can I ask what happened in court?

Did you have to appear due to dangerous driving?
Old 14-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ironic number plate! Would definatly buy a looto/scratchi ticket! main shell of the falcon looks intact.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister
Thanks for the comments. To clarify, I'm not making excuses, I was plain and simple not driving best suited to the conditions and I've learnt from it. Tyres were fine as FordACE said. A few days after I bought it FordACE, the transmission went btw.
My brother told me you rang him up about it. Unfortunately there was no signs of any transmission problems before it was sold.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
Alister

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t
Glad to see no one was hurt.

Can I ask what happened in court?

Did you have to appear due to dangerous driving?
Thanks buddy. Yeah, summonsed to court for "driving without due car and attention." I was honest, told the Magistrate what happened and she asked why she shouldn't suspend my licence, I told her honest reasons why, she accepted and I just got a fine of $500 + $75 court costs.

Yeah, trans started flaring and slipping when I was driving it on the highway a few days after I got it off your brother. Soon after it lost third and fourth gear. Took it to Sureshift Autos and it needed a full rebuild for $2K but hey, luck of the draw I guess.
Old 14-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Bobman
Regulator

Not just on here, but on LS1.

Crazy crash none-the-less!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

That car is munted, long as your ok thats the main thing
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #29
Ezz
05 BF XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I was having a conversation with one of the blokes that works in the workshop (at work) about cars, and he stated his annoyance at the government's total focus on one aspect of road safety, and complete ignorance of another.

He told me that they did a review of a few tyres and found that the cheap tyres (that are hardly restricted here) extended stopping distance considerably compared to a quality tyre - and quality doesn't mean anything fancy. Just a solid tyre. I have Pirelli P7s atm. Nothing fancy. Will do the job just fine. I know that it takes no genius to figure out that a cheap tyre will not perform, but still, they did a study on it...apparently...:P

Yet the entire time, the government is pushing the message to "Wipe of 5".
Yes, people should not be travelling "Only a little bit over", but surely maintaining decent tyre standards would go along way towards ensuring that tyre fitted on cars are suitable for most considitions - especially in the wet, and that the quality is at a certain level where the car is safer for both occupants, and helping to avoid pedestrians. Airbags and ESC won't mean a lot when your tyres are piebald after 5,000kms or sliding around in the wet.

But, of course not - no money to make by restricting the sale of crappy tyres...

It was some real food for thought for me anyway...

If I can find that study, I will post it...I doubt I will remember to though...
Totally agree mate. It's funny you buy a decent newish car with 60Ks on it, get the road worthy done and they refuse to pass it's road worthy due to a small... SMALL drip leak from the steering rack. I've seen cars on the road that should not be there.... no number plates, side wall hanging out of the side of the tires, rusty door hinges, blowing smoke front and back, panels hanging off... pushed in, windows and bumpers gaffer taped up, number plates stuck-on using rope or tape, number plates caked in mud... unreadable... the list goes on.

But as you say, cheep crappy tires are what most people put on their daily driver. ****** me off cause if i ever had someone run into me with rubber junk like u say, I'd be ****ed! Safety is paramount, and it's more important to have quality tires on your car, over a lick **** sound system. I say if you can affort the $$$ for a sound system, body kit etc, you can afford quality tires and brakes. The are real quality tires out there that wont break the bank either. I say to most people go the mid range price that provide long treadware if you don't want to spent more than 400 per tyre. The best money I've spent on my car to date are the brakes and tires... worth every penny.
340+kW @ the wheels @ 14psi

Brembo 6 Pots / ZF Tune
BIG Thanks to Chris & Theo
BLUEPOWER Racing Development
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post