Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default fire inspections - commercial premisis

Just wondering if anybody has any input on fire inspections for commercial premises.

basically, I have a small office in a strata building and the inspection company that they use is useless.
Just got a letter today from them stating that I need 4 new smoke detectors (one for each little partitioned office) and its going to cost $800 (currently just one in the hall way).

They say this is to comply with AS1670 which is from 1986 and seeing that the building was built in 2006, I cant see how it was approved then if it wasn't up to code.

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: fire inspections - commercial premisis

this perhaps should be in the bar or advice central as it isn't automotive related.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou
Just wondering if anybody has any input on fire inspections for commercial premises.

basically, I have a small office in a strata building and the inspection company that they use is useless.
Just got a letter today from them stating that I need 4 new smoke detectors (one for each little partitioned office) and its going to cost $800 (currently just one in the hall way).

They say this is to comply with AS1670 which is from 1986 and seeing that the building was built in 2006, I cant see how it was approved then if it wasn't up to code.
Have the new partition offices been installed since the building was build; or have they always been there?
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Scott

I'm not sure about the regs, but the price is reasonable enough. You could do it yourself for a lot less and it is quite simple to do though any electrical work really should be carried out by a professional, not least for insurance purposes.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the reply - (ment to put in in the bar - doh)

the walls were in when i moved in but could have been put in after the building was built. been here 3 years and they never said anything
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou
Thanks for the reply - (ment to put in in the bar - doh)

the walls were in when i moved in but could have been put in after the building was built. been here 3 years and they never said anything
Steve,

The cost seems reasonable, however I would be pursuing the landlord for the costs as they have an obligation to provide with with a an office space that complies with the various fire safety regs and standards including AS1670. Let them push back on the fire services company to decide whether or not it is BS.

The standard may be AS1670-1983 however I dare say there have been a number of ammendments issued which aren't significant enough to change the year issue (the most recent update I could find in 10 seconds of searching was 2004).

Hope that helps
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are these hard-wired smoke detectors feeding back to an alarm?

I actually use the local Springvale CFA for servicing my fire equipment and they're far cheaper then the "fire equip service consultants/companies" and my insurance company is more then happy.
As a former landlord it was up to me to ensure my premises met with all regs, not the tenant. If you're dealing with a property manager/agent/body corp or landlord directly they should know this, as it's up to them to meet all legal requirements in this case.....or are you the landlord...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the op may own the office, that is why the cost falls on him self.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Steve, who is the management company that you got the letter from?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should not do any of the installation or wiring work yourself. The detectors probably are wired back to a Fire Indicator Panel (FIP) and you don't want to put yourself in a position of responsibilty if something goes wrong with that.

You should talk to the Strata Manager or Property Manager and ask to see the Annual Fire Safety Statement; here in NSW this lists the Essential Fire Safety Measures and the relevant BCA/Australian Standards that the building was designed to. An Annual Fire Safety Statement is required to be done each year and a Certifier should pick up non-compliances.

The partitions may have been erected after the original completion and if they go to the underside of the ceiling then detectors are required as the offices cannot be unprotected. (If the building was sprinklered, for example, each office would require a sprinkler or sprinklers depending on the room size.) AS1670 gives the spacing requirements for detectors. The 1984 edition may have been the referenced Standard when the building was first built.

There are too many unknowns to give definitive advice but if you did not do the changes then it should be referred back to the Building Owner or his agent.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

^^^^^^^^ this man knows fire panels.

dont ever touch a fip / ewis panel if you are not trained. you wont be able to afford the fine. i had someone turn one back to auto whilst i was sending faults through it . first i knew was when sydney central fire brigade showed up. the company coped a massive fine.

if it is only the battery ones required id still get them hard wired
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
IDT
Marko

Just been through this. Your lease will tell wether you are responsible to pay. Rent plus outgoings etc etc. If so arrange it yourself using a qualified tradesman. If your landlord arranges it don't be surprised to have the most expensive guys turn up and when the bill arrives it has a 10-20% management fee added. That said I am pretty sure you should be able to claim against tax though as a permenant improvement?? One for the bean counters..........
Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Steve, in Victoria (whether it's either a commercial or retail lease) the provision of the fire equipment is the property owner's responsibility. The maintenance for same is normally the responsibility of the tenant under the lease.
Old 18-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know if this helps we use a company called ESM Complaince in Victoria they are good - highly recommend them

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys,

spoke with the council (was pretty good- didn't want to know the exact office just the address). Said that my particular building requires partitioned offices to have smoke detectors wired back to the panel. The partitions were probably done after the original compliance and not council inspected. And it wasnt picked up when i bought the office.

basically i have to get them installed and the price seems OK.

Just dont like the way it was communicated ie. we did your inspection and now you need to pay us $1000 to get up to code. Irks me when ever i have to pay the person doing the inspection money to fix an issue (conflict of interest).

Like getting a pink slip. pay $30 bucks and the guy says you need 2 new seat belts that will cost $600 because the orange tag at the base has come out indicating they have been stretched (or a kid has been in the back seat and pulled them out). solution - tuck them back in and pay $30 for an inspection somewhere else.