Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking just saying G'day

newby here,.......recently bought a 2005 BA Ford Fairmont.....mickey mouse condition from an elderly couple who truly only drove it to church on sunday

lovely car but very strange to me,......never had a ford before

I will admit that i have been "sneaking peeks" in here for the past few days and must say a big thanks to the guys that placed the thread about replacing the damper on the glove box

I fell into that trap after cleaning the filter in behind the glovebox and finding the damper already hanging

I thought it was a lipstick or a glasses case.. ....

after two hours of trying to get it back in I came here seeking Knowledge ...lo and behold I finded it

anyhoo....I'm a 54 YO married tool sharpener and a full time carer who loves to travel, been all over the joint and will do it all again

getting the fairmont up to scratch at the moment with the trans cooler, larger tow bar, and electric brakes

going over to running away from vans instead of the years we have spent in our 85 toyota Hi-Ace long wheel base camper with sopru conversion

but anyway that's me........

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default Re: just saying G'day

Heya Dave and welcome to the forum mate. Sounds lime a good buy you got their and congrats!!
Enjoy this massive place.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Falcman0o7
Banned

Welcome!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome mate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Welcome to the forums!

There's plenty to read on here thats for sure! Enjoy your first Ford!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Hello!

I've just converted from an old Land Cruiser so I know the feeling! Plenty to read in here and I've spent hours trolling through so much information and learnt so much.

The Dark Side has a powerful grasp!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
sbcb
BA Xr8

Welcome mate, yep the people on this forum have also helped me plenty of times! Enjoy this great resource and your new car. Don't forget to use the Tech Resource for heaps of info.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well paint my britches and call me spotty......thats a far better greeting than I got from the other joint.

thanks folks, makes me feel at home......I'm usually not one for forums and the suchlike but with this vehicular conveyance i find i am out of my depth a bit

for instance when I first got it home I was looking under the bonnet to "get to know things"...sump oil dipstick..check......wiper washers...check.....trans oil..Ummmm! right what mongrel nicked that dipstick......and where did they hide the spark plugs

this reminds me of the old flat head fords (side valve)

and where is the coil and dizzy.....hullo 6 coils and no dizzy

no cable to the throttle body "fly by wire" good god what next

my last vehicle was a 2000 TH Magna advance.....nice car but a flinstone mobile compared to this limo

I have been and will be trolling through the knowledge banks as this thing leaves me dead.....so much I don't recognise

what got me about the glovebox damper (and pushed me to continue) was the fellers who were handing out the advice and finally worked it out were 65 and 66 YO.......now I'm only a youngster at 54 and I found it a mongrel thing to do.....but these blokes spurred me on

thanks guy's.......I dips me lid to your tenacity and perseverance

I reckon I'll be throwing my swag down in that "tech resources" section.....so if you see a confused old fool wandering around late at night, scratching his head in befuddlement, with a candle and note pad in hand, it's only me......not wee willy winkie!!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome fellow fordbrah.

Do you plan to mod the car to get more power out of it or just going to maintain it?
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well G'day right back at ya!

power upgrades.....nah! as long as it pulls a 16 - 18 foot van we will get along just fine...

as far as mods go it's booked in next week for a trans cooler (borg warner...do you know anything about them?) $350 supplied and installed

then an upgrade to the tow bar, currently 1600 kg's rated and I'm upgrading to a genuine Ford 2300 kg....$760 supplied and installed

install electric tow brakes and a battery isolator with 6mm dual core wire through to Anderson plugs so I can put a dual battery system in the caravan (which I'm saving for!) around $500 supplied and installed

how do those prices strike you???

as far as power upgrades go....not for me,....I went through that stage 40 years ago.....I just want to see Australia one more time before I kick the bucket......reliability is the name of the game when I'm out on the tanami or heading for the painted dessert .......make a change from taking our camper

I'm currently chasing up rattles.......found a few that I've sorted out

one is the console,....installed adhesive backed rubber "draft stoppers" around under the lip,....that stopped that squeaking

then the passenger side rear skirt was "loose".....it has a split plastic system that grasps a steel support that was a bit "shonky" so I made some shims and made that tight

I found a major rattle above the IRS caused by the worm drive clamp that holds the filler hose into the fuel tank....it was hitting on the main beam...a bit of bending sorted that out!......brute strength and ignorance sorts most problems out.....if it don't then I'm buggered co's that's all I know!

the glove box is now working like a bought one so all good in that department......I could just about sleep in there

anyhow I'd better shut up or the powers that be will kick me out for time wasting!