Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
taybelZ

Default cheapest place to cut keys

Folks, i'm after a copy of my 2008 ford focus (zetec)

The blanks are cheap off ebay - $20 or so, just need a place to copy it for me.

Other then fords $300 a key copy cost.

Suggestions appreciated.

taybelZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: cheapest place to cut keys

you will also need a chip that is programmed into the car unless you are replacing an existing key that is worn
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
rand0mn00b

yes unless you want to use the new key to only open doors and the bonnet then it will be a costly exercise

unfortunately the price that Ford wants to charge is not so much for the cost of cutting the key itself or even programming the remote (can do that yourself) but it is programming the transponder chip so that it will disengage your immobiliser allowing you to start your engine

i wonder if different Ford dealers charge different amounts, and whether Ford dealers are the only ones authorised for this sort of thing (i would think so but maybe not)
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
LordFordNZ

I just went through a similair excercise. With the keys, there are 3 areas you need to be aware of - the actual blade, the remote locking/unlocking and the transponder chip embedded into the key head.

Both the remote control and transponder need to be prograamed to the car. The remote is easy to do (as per owners manual), the transponder is more difficult - it needs to be done with someone who has the right diagnostic equipment ie a dealer..and will cost around $60 for them to do.

Cutting the blade is easly done too..I got mine done at Balwyn Locksmith in Melbourne for around $20 mark.

The ebay keys dont have transponders in them, so you will need to break open the old key if you still have it.

Thsi applies to whether its a flick key or fixed key
LordFordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post