Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
351capriV8

Default How to check if fg has been in a accident??

hey guys n girls

just wondering if you can give me info on what to look for in a car (fg if that makes it easier) to see if its been in a accident or been patched up i know in the E series theres ID tags in doors ect but unsure about the newer cars, any info will help Cheers.

PS. f this thread is in the wrong place please move

351capriV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: How to check if fg has been in a accident??

Contact StateRoads(.com.au). They come out and do a full car inspection for buyers and use a paint micrometer (or something) that determines if a panel has been repainted.

1. Check for paint flakes on the quarter panel bolt heads under the bonnet.

2. If you can see the back of the panel, see if it cleaner then the back of other panels (same with bumpers)

3. Look at the paint in the light and see if its a slightly different shade to the rest of the panels

4. Look at the alignment of panels and doors and see if they are even and match the gap to the same on the other side of the car...

5. Check for obvious replacements like radiators, rad fans, headlights (1 headlight may look newer then the other), tail lights, mirrors, suspension parts, etc.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
351capriV8

Cheers mate, thanks for the info
Old 26-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

The only way you'll ever know, is by checking the depth of the paint. or by checking the nuts/bolts.

Sometimes they use completely different ones from factory.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As been mentioned above. Also look for overspray on rubber, and badges that are in the wrong place. I'm amazed how many B and F series falcons that have the boot badges in the wrong position. Dead give away for rear end hit or just maybe de-badged at some time, and not put back in factory position.
Check paint in direct sunlight as mentioned. Not always a true indication of a hard accident though. Once had a Liquid Silver AU that was hit by a trolley in a carpark. Looked great when i picked it up from the panelbeaters but over a month later in certain light it was a terrible paint match, and it looked like the car had been hit by a train it stood out that much, rather than just a simple supermarket trolley.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Colour variation can be misleading as from the factory it isn't perfect.
Paint depth is far more accurate and has less risks to getting it wrong
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
351capriV8

Hrmmm really wish i had a paint thickness tester lol
Old 26-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Paint thickness testing only works on metal. The bumpers can't be tested I thought. I may be misinformed though

My advice is to go to a dealer and lift the boot of an FG. Take pics of factory seam sealer. Cars in rear Enders would get bootlids replaced. Very hard to get seam sealer 100% factory look
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Jesmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Paint thickness testing only works on metal. The bumpers can't be tested I thought. I may be misinformed though

My advice is to go to a dealer and lift the boot of an FG. Take pics of factory seam sealer. Cars in rear Enders would get bootlids replaced. Very hard to get seam sealer 100% factory look
Not sure how that last bit is supposed to be read, are you saying they replace the bootlid skin ?
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

When they replace the whole boot
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Jesmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
When they replace the whole boot
Why would that affect the seam sealer ?
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
STROPP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the car has had a rear end hit the back guards will need to be replaced or removed to straighten and the seam sealer will look different than the factory, the factory seam sealer is very neat and repaired ones are not too good, its obvious when its pointed out!!
Old 26-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
351capriV8

thanks guys this will be heaps of help when i go have a look at this fg

thankyou all.
Old 26-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, now I've heard it all....

No, unless it's had a massive shunt in the rear, the rear quarters would not get replaced and neither would boot lids. The best peice of advice for hang on parts is to check bolt heads for touch up paint or a paint thickness gauge.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

You can always do a vehicle status check on the vicroads website, that'll give you a bit of information about the vehicle.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #16
351capriV8

Did that already, just told me its wasnt a stat write off and that it hasnt been reged in Vic
Old 26-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

checking spot welds is a good one, if it has had a front hit normally it will be missing some of the factory spot weld. That is what i'v been told by panel beaters even fridge magnets can work if the panel has any bog it the the magnet usually falls of.
Old 26-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
STROPP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have had a car that had a rear shunt on one side and you could see the seam sealer was different on one side to the other and the spoiler had been moved slightly (marks inside the boot lid) but the car was repaired well so I bought it anyway.
Old 26-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Check the sill panels at the bottom joins, for "teeth" marks. These are clamping marks that panel beaters use to straighten the car up. They're usually located just under the front of the front doors and the back of the rear doors, right in the join of the sill panels. They look similar to the teeth of a wood saw.

This is the easiest way to tell. No special tools either. Just your eyes.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

ask the owner . 9 times out of 10 they will tell you . the problem is what they say . they may say it was in a minor , when infact it was heavy . on the other hand they may say it was in a minor and be telling the truth .
but they will tell you something if it has had any work done , unless they are from AUBURN , LAKEMBA, OR GREENACRE ( NSW) . also percentages vary with nationality , in regarding truth .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
351capriV8

Thanks for all the info guys, found out it had been in an accident or something coz it was repainted

Cheers for the help!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Look for panel alignment and also, have a look underneath it. If it looks like there are pretty new/ish parts on the car in an area and the rest look a little older, you can be assured it's been in an accident.
Look to see that the car sits straight ie, not higher/lower one side to the other.
Don't worry if the bumper has been painted; my G6 has never been in a smash and I've had the front bumper repainted twice (from all the scrapes of it bottoming out in driveways).

Quote: