Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Have your say on speed zones

https://www.saferroadsnsw.com.au/

Welcome to the RTA’s
Safer Roads NSW website
On this site you can find out how speed limits are set and reviewed. You can also have your say about speed limits and speed limit signs in NSW.

The information you provide, together with road safety and crash data, will help the RTA prioritise speed zones and speed limit signs for review.

This is part of the NSW Government’s commitment to carry out an audit of speed zones. The top 100 roads identified through this website will be reviewed by the RTA's NSW Centre for Road Safety by 31 March 2012.

HAVE YOUR SAY

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Have your say on speed zones

Do away with them. Let is go as fast as we want all the time Because if you never break the limit, you wont crash.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
AUIIISR

May as well, I drive 10kms to work everyday and I have 11 speed zones to pass through, they're never going to fix every problem but at least its a step in the right direction
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/saferroads...limits-why.pdf
Quote:
3. Have we always had speed limits in NSW?
Yes we have had speed limits for as long as there have been cars. There have always been speed limits but the values and locations to which they are applied has changed to reflect driving conditions and to improve road safety.

Historically, NSW operated a simple speed limit system of urban (built-up areas) and rural (country/non-built up areas) default limits (see question 4). Originally, the urban default speed limit was 30 miles per hour (48 km/h) and the rural default speed limit was 50 miles per hour (80 km/h, unless it could be shown why it was not unsafe to go faster). Overall, speed limits have increased since then and currently the urban default speed limit is 50 km/h and rural default speed limit is 100 km/h.
- and the rural default speed limit was 50 miles per hour (80km/h), unless it could be shown why it was not unsafe to go faster; - THIS rural "PRIMA FACIE" allowance we called "SPEED DERESTRICTION" (//), and it applied up to July 1979 when the Wran Labor government killed it off by the imposition of a 100km/h 'absolute' SPEED RESTRICTION (limit), hence RTA (no longer exist btw) can claim 'speed LIMITS' are 'higher' than back then!

Not quite an honest appraisal by this 'review' page.

For me, I'd derestrict certain primary rural highway lengths, and some select Hume Hwy 'freeway class' lengths of road, as opposed to a blanket all rural road derestriction allowance as in times past.

Won't happen of course, because academics and staff roads employees responsible for AS1742.4 of 2009 - finally removed the speed derestriction sign (//) from this Aussie signs database, with the intention of preventing its further use here in AUS; through advocacy for its use once again by political parties, individuals or government agency.

Rather, I expect this review will more determine the ongoing posting of 70 and 90km/h zones, with the view of knocking those off to the <10km/h value. I would expect the existing 100km/h 'rural default-absolute' might drop to 80km/h, and that should never have changed, and nor should have the (//) allowance that went with it:-)
Attached Images
File Type: gif R4-2 Speed derestriction sign.gif (3.4 KB, 142 views)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 20-07-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised this hasn't gone the way of similar threads.

In the last speed thread someone was quoting me from weeks ago from other threads. They probably should of know by the nature of the post they quoted it was sarcasm.
But hey they don't seam to see what most people do, if ignorance is bliss, they would be living a life long orgasm.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I know this is going to create controversy but, I think all 40 & 50 km/h speed zones/limits should go. Yes they are safer if a pedestrian gets hit, but I think if you look at the statistics, while injuries or deaths may be less, you'll probably find the number of accidents has actually increased. I have seen so many near misses of cars - cars, & pedestrians - cars, it's not funny, I have also had a few myself & seen a few hits.
You have to look at human psychology, the slower a car is moving the harder it is to judge how fast it's actually going & how soon it's going to get there. At 40 & 50 km/h people misjudge this regularly & "take a risk" crossing or pulling out in front of cars/vehicles at a much closer distance away. Have a think yourself, you're much more likely to "risk it" & cross the road or pull out in front of that car 50m away travelling at 40 or 50 km/h, than you would if it was travelling at 80 or 100 km/h, at higher speeds you're much more likely to let it go by, then cross or move out from the intersection. Also the slower speeds reduces the likelihood of death if you are hit, giving people a false sense of safety, making them more likely to take that risk. If you had to fill out a safety statement (like safe work method statements) before you crossed the road, you wouldn't cross in front of that car doing 40 km/h. That false sense of safety means most of the time, you think about it first (& generally don't do it) when the car's going 80 km/h, but you don't think about it at all when the car's doing 40 km/h.

It would be much safer to teach kids/people how & when to cross the road, & stop people walking on the road when there is a perfectly good footpath, like in the old days.
Yes school zones should go too, many of these near misses I mention are in high school 40 km/h zones, where the (almost adult) students should know how to cross the road safely & should know better. The children that can't be taught road safety & need to be protected, are those under 4 year olds that go to day care or pre-school, & yet they're the places we don't have to go 40 km/h past.
If I can drive on the footpath, I'll be quite happy to go at 20 or 40 km/h, but I can't, so why should I drive at 40 km/h down the road, so those morons can walk on it safely?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

Think of all the Harold Scruby's that are going ot get on there with nothing better to do.
There will soon be a rural max of 80, and an urban max of 40.
Old 20-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simplify (remove the number of different speed zones currently we have 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 90, 100 and 110) I suggest 40 (schools) 60, 80, 100 and 120

Increase the limits (where possible) cars have changed a lot since when the limits where first introduced. Improve roads and infrastructure to support further increases.

Put more emphasis on driving ettique and following all road rules (not just speeding) Too many people have the mentality that because they do 5's under the limit they are good drivers. Yet they are often the worst drivers on our road.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post