Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Tougher QLD hoon laws

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226096986880

Quote:
HOONS and dangerous drivers in Queensland will lose their vehicles longer under tougher impoundment laws.
Cars will now be impounded for seven days on a first hooning offence, up from two, in a move that will further discourage unsafe driving, Premier Anna Bligh announced today.
A second offence carries an immediate impoundment of 28 days, up from two days.
And police retain the right to apply to the court for an impoundment of up to three months.
Subsequent offences will attract a 28 day automatic impoundment, instead of two days, and authorities retain the right to apply to the courts for a permanent forfeiture.
Each offence also carries a fine already in place of between $200 and $900, as well as impound charges of around $25 a day.
Dangerous driving offences attract the same ladder of penalties from the second offence onwards, with a first offence attracting a fine only.
About 28,000 vehicles have been impounded for a 48 hour period since the laws were first introduced in 2002.
Since 2007, 30 per cent of offenders have gone on to offend again - 330 have had their vehicles taken from them permanently.
Ms Bligh said the increase was about getting the message through to serious repeat offenders.
They included unlicensed and disqualified drivers and people speeding 40km or more over the limit.
"Impounding vehicles for longer sends a very clear message to these serious repeat offenders," Ms Bligh said in Brisbane.
"If you act stupidly and dangerously on our roads, you risk losing the thing that many of you love the most - your car."
Legislation is due to be passed in the second half of the year.
I dont live in QLD, but still sounds better then NSW in regards to tough penalties....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tougher QLD hoon laws

Here is hoping whoever drove down my street the other night gets caught.
The car was heard redlining (revlimiter kicked in), pop off valve went off and a huge! backfire. Estimated he was doing over 100kmh in narrow suburban street as he went through the stop sign still going flat out. The smell of unburnt petrol in the air lasted a few minutes...

Quote:
About 28,000 vehicles have been impounded for a 48 hour period since the laws were first introduced in 2002.

Since 2007, 30 per cent of offenders have gone on to offend again - 330 have had their vehicles taken from them permanently.
330 seems quite low! lol

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

330 seems quite low! lol
The way I read it is that it is 330 confiscations of the 30% reoffenders

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

330 seems quite low! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
The way I read it is that it is 330 confiscations of the 30% reoffenders
2,800 initial offenders, 840 2nd time offenders, 330 3rd time stupid losers

I think we should be impounding drivers but I could be wrong....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I don't know if this has made it to the forum before but LOLOLOLOL

Most epic failure of a website, apparently all hoons are now middle aged mexicans who let thier gut hang out.

A sample of the do-gooders of Redcliffe reporting "hoons":

Quote:
Elderley man drove out of Anzac Ave in front of a car causing line of cars to brake heavily to avoid him. He then crept along Anzac Ave and stopped dead in the middle of the left lane just over Vacy St causing all traffic to stop behind him, eventually taking off again and pulling in front of a large truck ( in the right hand lane) that was stopping for the lights at Clifford Gardens. Didn't seem to have any idea of what he was doing. Almost like letting a kid wonder on the street in heavy traffic. I am concerned for his safety.
Also good:
Quote:
Rego 855-BHR is the moist
noisyest car ever very sick engine
cant have peace of quit wake me up 5.30am
like annoyed.
THERE'S EVEN A VN IN THE LOGO RIKSTA SO YOU KNOW THEY BE HATERS!

http://stophoons.com/

They can throw the book at them but it's not going to stop 50, 100 or 1000 more being spanners.

"Tougher Hoon Laws" sells news papers and gives the police budget a chubby, it does sweet bugger all towards even slightly fixing the real problem.

"Build it, and they will come" - Give them a venue that's not 2hrs away and it might have some sort of effect?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 18-07-2011 at 07:40 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
2,800 initial offenders, 840 2nd time offenders, 330 3rd time stupid losers

I think we should be impounding drivers but I could be wrong....

You forgot a 0, it is actually 28,000.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Congrats mate on a job well done, not many can bend statistics but through hard work and dedication to a bigger and better budget, you're on the way to becoming chief of police.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 18-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I find it amusing that this is up today, I saw it twice...in less than 4 hours.

I watched an idiot drive up Industrial Ave at Wacol...fishtailing, it seems some of the trucks have had some dirt on their tyres...dirty old VT commodore...

Second one nearly cleaned up an oncoming truck as it overtook a car in the 60 zone, full noise and well over 60...I'd say pushing 110...P plate equipped crumpledore yet again...

I'm not sure they're learning anything if over 300 have gone on to re-offend. The question also does need to be asked in these instances what defined 'hooning'...

28,000 cars in 9 years..almost 60 a week...wow...in a population of what??

In actual fact I'm probably more concerned about the woman who decided to merge on to the Warrego in peak hour this morning, at 50k's...braking most of the way...that was fun...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 18-07-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: my spelling is the suck... :(
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Oops, tying and lotsa Bundy don't mix

Just don't let me do your taxes..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I find it amusing that this is up today, I saw it twice...in less than 4 hours..
Not sure where in Ipswich you live Sez but when you hit "the stip" in and out of town.... I've met some "charming" individuals as it sounds like you have too...
Old 18-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Not sure where in Ipswich you live Sez but when you hit "the stip" in and out of town.... I've met some "charming" individuals as it sounds like you have too...
'The stip'? where pray tell is that? (So I can avoid something else like the plague)...?

They're special pretty much from before the Karalee on-ramp inbound right through to Rocklea...then it clears momentarily, and bang...they're there again...

A Holden Statesman was following us earlier this evening, got onto the two lanes of Pine Mountain Rd before deciding we weren't going fast enough, and attempted to roar past...I say attempted, because it was just noise...and the car didn't go anywhere...just exhaust.

If you ever get the inclination to see attempts of suicide...Industrial Avenue Wacol is the place to be...they are ridiculously stupid, but do it all in the middle of Semi trailers, B-Doubles and tippers.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
'The stip'? where pray tell is that? (So I can avoid something else like the plague)...?
More or less Brisbane Rd. We asked a coworker who used to live there and he said Friday night was "lapping night" back in the day, told me being abused and tailgated was "part of the fun".

I laughed at the Statesman comment, had a V8 one try and take me on when I had the AU, more or less what you described, all bark, no bite.
Old 18-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
"Build it, and they will come" - Give them a venue that's not 2hrs away and it might have some sort of effect?
People have been doing skids and going fast ever since ol' Henry invented the V8.
I agree Grandpa, the authorities have got to give people a place to let off steam safely, without fear of hurting anyone else.

There must a be a way for a legal type person to come up with a hole-proof piece of paper so that the motor enthusiasts can go nuts in a purpose built track/area.

Ed
Old 18-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

They tried up here in QLD, StreetWarz was it's name.

A few cranky old bats called the police because they could faintly hear it over 2km away. Then some genius decided to do a burnout outside the venue... cops showed up... the rest is history.

I travelled 30 mins to get to that event, and I'd rather go back there than have to travel the hour and a half to willowbank, get my timeslip, then travel an hour and a half back.
Old 18-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
A sample of the do-gooders of Redcliffe reporting "hoons":
That'd be toowoomba
Clifford Gardens & Herries st are in toowoomba
Old 18-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
That'd be toowoomba
Clifford Gardens & Herries st are in toowoomba
I stand corrected sir.

Forgot there was an Anzac Ave in Toowoomba!
Old 18-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
In actual fact I'm probably more concerned about the woman who decided to merge on to the Warrego in peak hour this morning, at 50k's...braking most of the way...that was fun...

Whenwill the government, and authorities learn that this is what puts peoples’livesin danger, probably more so than the d1<khe@ds doing burnouts in an emptyindustrial estate. You can do all you like to get "hoons" off theroad, but it's all in vain when there are people like the above that reallyshouldn't be on our roads subsequently putting peoples’ lives at risk day in dayout!

Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #18
4vdean

love to see the stats on what type of cars are being impounded, (at the risk of stereotyping) my guess would be that the majority are old POS commodores, thats the ones I see doing stupid stuff in the stupidest of places......................
Old 19-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Stolen from LS1 (Thread is from 2010):

Quote:
Report: 46% Of Australia’s Impounded Cars Are Holdens

General Motors’ Australian Holden brand remains the choice of hooligans down under, as police in the Australian state of Victoria announced that 46% of cars impounded under their “hoon” laws. Ford is the second most popular with 16.7% of the impound share, while Nissan is third with 7.8%.

Holden’s Commodore has been Australia’s best-selling vehicle for decades, and the rear-drive chassis and plentiful supply of turbo six-cylinder or General Motors V8s means that cheap, powerful Holdens are easily affordable for young Australian enthusiasts.

Australian police have taken to crushing vehicles confiscated in cases of reckless driving if they are deemed “unsafe”. One police officer cited a vehicle without “ABS brakes and airbags” stating “I cannot, in good conscience, send that vehicle back into the community.” Many older Commodores (such as the VL series pictured above) did not come with these features, but remain immensely popular with young gearheads.

Despite their old-school muscle car flavor, North Americans stayed away from the two Holden models sold in North America, the 2003-2006 Pontiac GTO (based off the Holden Monaro) and the 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 (a rebadged Commodore SS).

[Source: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-holdens.html]
Old 19-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #20
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with Hoon laws is how they are enforced. Back in 2005, I had a Commodore do a burnout next to me, I was getting into my car as police arrived. I was then given a ticket and a hoon impound.

I spent the money getting a traffic lawyer, took the case to court, WITH independant witnesses AND video footage. Police "on the scene" could not agree where the incident happened, or what direction the police car was travelling at the time. Two officers in the car at the time claimed to be heading North, whilst the Third, a trainee claimed they were heading South. The police were infact heading south at the time. throughout the case, all evidence had proven I was not involved. I was found guilty by association of having my car parked in the same Woolworths carpark as the offender. How will increasing impound times stop the above scenario happening?
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #21
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
The problem with Hoon laws is how they are enforced. Back in 2005, I had a Commodore do a burnout next to me, I was getting into my car as police arrived. I was then given a ticket and a hoon impound.

I spent the money getting a traffic lawyer, took the case to court, WITH independant witnesses AND video footage. Police "on the scene" could not agree where the incident happened, or what direction the police car was travelling at the time. Two officers in the car at the time claimed to be heading North, whilst the Third, a trainee claimed they were heading South. The police were infact heading south at the time. throughout the case, all evidence had proven I was not involved. I was found guilty by association of having my car parked in the same Woolworths carpark as the offender. How will increasing impound times stop the above scenario happening?

It won't!

The way I see it is that there is a specific target group and getting the said group off the road will please the majority of voters. Thus a re election. There are many people that just should not be on the road due to poor driving skills NOT bad behavior and they never get so much as looked at.

I do not condone bad behavior on the roads however I see this as yet another blow to undefined "hoons" that are being targeted.

Example below.

Quote:
I read in the Advertiser or Sunday Mail in Adelaide on a weekend not too long ago that "SAPOL was unsatisfied that they were not catching and impounding the desired hoon vehicles"

It went on to say that they were basically impounding absolute heaps and were annoyed that they were not getting more expensive cars.

Call it living under a rock if you will however the last time I checked, hoons were not confined to a certain age group, sex, licence condition, vehicle make, vehicle type or stereotype. SAPOL however seems to think otherwise.

And as I am aware SA impound laws are the toughest in AUS.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would bet my lefty right now that the vehicles they confiscate from "hoons" will be 10% nice cars from people having a momentary lapse and screetching the tyres in the wrong place at the wrong time, and 90% absolute, stinking, rusting, crapbuckets.

The Rockhampton newspaper, the Morning Bulletin, has a story late last year proudly saying they'd confiscated six or seven "hoons" cars over a weekend. They had a view of the police impound yard, and there was a ratty VN with steelies, a lowered Jap ute of some description with steel wheels again, an old Corona, a Hyundai, and a couple of other nondesript things like an old Camry and so-on. No mega-buck Skylines, no WRX's, no Silvias with big dump pipes...just rattly heaps of crap that probably shouldn't be on the road anyway.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #23
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

more of the same... the joys of a gumbyment who believe the bigger stick approach will work... so after 10 years and an ever growing stick we come to this.... the MEGA STICK the silver bullet to all Hoon problems... oh wait its the same rhetoric for the past 10 years just another article to appease the cardigan wearers.

Sizey : I read that exact article and wondered what had become of sane minded law enforcement... if that wasn’t a hint they want all modified or performance orientated cars off the road I don’t know what is.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those laws are funny. Come to Vic and get done you loose your car for 30 days know straight away, plus a date with the magistrate. These laws stop nothing, people will go out and be idiots on the street no matter what. It is part of growing up for a lot of young people.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post