Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
zakjames

Default A Few Concerns

Hey all, got a couple of short questions that I couldn't find anything from a search.

1999 Series I XR6 AU

First off my antenna will only rarely come up when the radio is on, most of the time it just stays down behind the guard. Was wondering if anyone has had this before? I'm thinking there might be a relay that's busted, the antenna motor is buggered or maybe even the feed from the stereo.
Any help is welcome.

Also even though its not a concern I spotted for the first time the other day (have only had car for short while) a small black box on my rear windscreen. Maybe 2" by 2" in the middle at the top inside, with a wire running up and into the roof lining, was wondering what it is?

Cheers for any help.

zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Default Re: A Few Concerns

black box is most likely an old antenna.. unless your referring to the demister clip, but thats smaller and not in that position.

as for the antenna in your guard, id try spraying some silicon spray down there. see if it frees it up.. do you hear the motor trying to raise the antenna, or is it silent?
Old 14-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

With the black box in the rear, sounds like it once had a mobile phone roof aerial.

Like has been said, it may be that the cable on the aerial has teeth off it or, the BCM may be your problem. It might be advisable to have an Auto elect to check it.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

As mentioned, the electric aerials are about as reliable as a sundail at midnight - you can replace them fairly cheaply, but you need 3 hands for the job.

And the little black box on your rear windscreen is a leftover mobile phone antenna receptor base. disconnect it, pull it off the windscreen and shove the cable back up into the roof lining.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
zakjames

sweet, thanks as always for all the help guys. Will be some time this weekend on checking/diagnosing the aerial problem.
zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post