Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Sean-87

Default RRP VS Real World Price

Hey Guys,

Been weighing up the option of buying a new vs used car. And not surprisingly a major concern is the depreciation of a brand new vehicle.

I'm specifically looking at G6E Turbo's.

2009-2010 models seem to be going for approx 35-45k.

So now the question, what price would I realistically be able to get a brand new G6ET for? And on average how much do new cars go for under RRP (or over?)?

Hope all that made sense, thanks guys.

Sean-87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: RRP VS Real World Price

the list price on a xt is over $40k! real world, if you are a good talker, you could probably get an xt for under $30k. xr6's are advertised as $34990 drive away, which is also under the list price by some margin.

a g6et lists for close enough to $60k + on roads (approx 5k for sa according to carsales), so list price is about $65k drive away.

realistically, you will get one brand new at the moment for closer to $50k. i guess you need to ask yourself, is the 'new car smell' worth close to $5-10k? + 6-12months extra warranty.

there are many pro's and con's to buying a new car, and if i was in a position to buy new rather than 2nd hand, i would definitely go new. sure you'll take a big hit in depreciation in the 1st 12months but so what. thats life.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We found it very odd the amount of "discounting" that appeared to be going on with new Falcons.

When we looked at XR6's, they were all on sale for around the $37,000 mark, some cheaper, a few slightly more, but when we asked about the price of a base Falcon, they seemed to imply they were nearly $40,000, and it would be better value to buy an XR6.
Our G6E tallied up to $54,000 with sat nav and all the options, but he said because it was a few months old and badged a 50th Anniversary model, the price was $47,500 drive away.

There seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind thier pricing.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Sundeep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-87
Hey Guys,

Been weighing up the option of buying a new vs used car. And not surprisingly a major concern is the depreciation of a brand new vehicle.

I'm specifically looking at G6E Turbo's.

2009-2010 models seem to be going for approx 35-45k.

So now the question, what price would I realistically be able to get a brand new G6ET for? And on average how much do new cars go for under RRP (or over?)?

Hope all that made sense, thanks guys.
Last November-ish I was looking at getting a dealer demo (registered to dealer, never driven) from Bryan Byrt Ford in QLD, and they wanted about $41-42k. There was a cashback deal back then of around $2k I think it was, so that helped with the discount. Local dealer wanted $48k for one on the showroom floor with 19's.

At the moment, cheapest I can seem to find is $47k for a registered 2010 non 50th Ann, $48-$49k for a registered 50th Ann or $50+ for a unregistered one in stock.

XT's price works out to about $40k-ish including all on-roads and basic accessories, but there are 2010's available on CarSales for as little as $28666. There are G6LE's around for $32-34k at the moment (2010) - they were $36.5k this time last year.

EDIT: 2nd hand price of G6ET seems to vary a lot depending on how many are available. This time last year I recall and ego one for sale with the standard wheels and no options for $28.5k with only 27k km on it - absolute bargain in today's terms! At the moment a 2008 with no options and low km's is hard to find under $31k.
Hope that helps?
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
There seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind thier pricing.
Yard/factory stock they were desperate to clear?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Sean-87

Thanks for the info guys, got some decisions to make now.
Sean-87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post