Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Investments

Anyone else on AFF interested in investments?
I have been looking into the share market and how risky it can be, has anyone been successful on the share market and what do you look for when investing?

Also are the resources sectors a good place to start and does anyone recommend currency trading?

ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Default Re: Investments

If you are new to the sharemarket trading currencies and things like CFDs are a great way to loose money. It is much easier to be sucessful if you are investing over the medium to long term ...... time in the market rather than timing the market.
Have a look at the ASX website they have a lot of info and offer information sessions etc
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
tufLTD
tufLTD

About 7 years ago, before I bought my house, I invested a bit using BT Investments through Westpac. They had a investment advisor available for free & they set up a portfolio for me. I invested $45,000 & within less than 3 years it had increased to $70,000. Mind you, that was when the market was booming. I don't know if I would like to do it now, the market is so unstable.
I'm not sure if Westpac or any other banks still offer these services but I would get professional advice or use an investment company to put together a portfolio.
Diversifying your portfolio can also have benefits, spread across the stock-market, commercial properties, resources, etc. Moving your investments across sectors that are performing well can have great results.
Old 17-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
About 7 years ago, before I bought my house, I invested a bit using BT Investments through Westpac. They had a investment advisor available for free & they set up a portfolio for me. I invested $45,000 & within less than 3 years it had increased to $70,000. Mind you, that was when the market was booming. I don't know if I would like to do it now, the market is so unstable.
I'm not sure if Westpac or any other banks still offer these services but I would get professional advice or use an investment company to put together a portfolio.
Diversifying your portfolio can also have benefits, spread across the stock-market, commercial properties, resources, etc. Moving your investments across sectors that are performing well can have great results.
Investing in the stock market is long term correct? You have to ride the up's and downs. That's an excellent return you had but for a $45,000 risk, that's huge! Did they invest in a resources company? And what was the dividend return like?
Old 17-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
tufLTD
tufLTD

Just remember that was during the boom years, around 2003 - 2005.The stock market, commercial & residential properties, resources & most of the other sectors were on fire!
My portfolio was across various sectors & the percentage invested in each sector each quarter varied depending on the market trends. I remember getting my quarterly statements & seeing incredible returns, often in excess of 20% per annum in certain sectors.
But there's no way you would get those returns now. I think around 10% per annum would be about all you would get now.
Good luck with your investments but be careful in today's market.
Old 17-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought MacQuarie Bank and CBA when the share prices tumbled and people were crapping their pants. I rubbed my hands together and said, 'opportunity'.

Mind you, I did buy ConnectEast at like $1.50 which in hindsight was bad...but I'm ahead overall.

Also had AXA when they were cheap, and just got converted to AMP with some cash too....

If you play your cards right, don't jump in willy-nilly and only invest what you can afford, then you'll be okay.

Personally, I don't invest to be rich overnight. I'm a long-termer.

A mate of mine buys Rio Tinto, waits until they rise 10% and the sells.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
05_ENFORCER

HaHa, seen you floating around on the stock forums a few times U_D.

I am a long termer also, into juniors, oil & gas and mining stocks mainly.

It can be a great little hobby or it can be your life.

Be prepared to lose and research solidly before buying.

DO NOT overcommit your funds.
Old 17-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies.
I nearly invested in gold when it was just over $300 an ounce back in 2001 but I was talked out of it, another problem was the AUD was quite weak against the USD at the time, if only gold was around that price now with the AUD sitting so high.

Nick Bolton was very successful investing in BrisConnections with only $100,000 and pocketing $4.5 million in 2009, he used his slice of power to sell his shares in a voting decision to make that money. And now he is broke from a scam and with other failed investments. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226033653082
Old 17-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
tufLTD
tufLTD

Yeah, investing is generally long term but occassionally you can be in the right place at the right time.
As an example, some years ago a friend of mine gave me some advice about investing in gold. Not too many people know but in India mass weddings take place around October/November. The demand for gold pushes up it's price for a short period & he used to buy & sell gold according to this cycle. Once again right place, right time.