Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Default Work Dilemma

Bit of a dilemma at work…more of a moral one in a way.

We just had to appoint a WHS rep as per company policy, I got picked because of my previous WHS rep training…No worries there at all. Easy job and it looks good on a resume. Sweet as.

This is where the dilemma comes in…my first action item is to investigate disabled parking for our building. Now, our building is just a small house sized office…front door has a carport for 2 cars, and parking out the back for 3 cars. The rear access has steps, the front you can park across the street (not very busy) and walk across, or park kerbside and walk straight in. Disabled access is easy at the front, obviously for the rear it’s not.
Here’s my dilemma, the disabled person….their disability is they are obese…and I don’t mean a bit overweight, I’m talking on the morbid side of the scale.
They claim it’s dangerous for them to walk up the stairs in the back and dangerous for them to cross the road. I suggested that they park kerbside which is acceptable, but no….’I want one of the parks in front of the door’….This is the managers parks of course.

Keep in mind this person has a disabled permit and everything.

My dilemma is…I don’t want a part in it, I bust my ring out 4 times a week at the gym, eat healthy and have a very active lifestyle. They made their lifestyle choice, and now claim disability for it. Which I think is an absolute crock.

I’ve been doing civil design previously for 5 years and know various codes inside out and can pretty much quote the code relating to disabled parking, requirements, etc…

I don’t really care if this sounds like discrimination or anything like that. To me, obesity is not a disability, it’s a choice. My 8 year niece with down syndrome has a disability thank you very much, not someone who’s smoko consists of a cappuccino with lashings of whipped cream and a packet of tim tams…

I’m considering relinquishing my role as safety rep because I simply don’t agree with it at all. I’m all for safety in the workplace, but this just takes the cake…most likely literally too.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
outside
off in outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I don’t really care if this sounds like discrimination or anything like that. To me, obesity is not a disability, it’s a choice..

Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a legal minefield!!
You can be taken to court for not providing a safe / equal oppourtunity car park!

I recall many years ago when my former boss built his new office at the airport they wanted him to install a disabled toilet.
Now mind you they are not many disabled aircraft engineers in wheelchairs (they even wanted him to install male/female cubicles, which meant 3 toilets for a staff number of 2 full time employees and 3 casuals).
In the end he built a uni-sex diabled toilet!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 07-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Thats a legal minefield!!
You can be taken to court for not providing a safe / equal oppourtunity car park!
It is if you ask me, they can park kerbside, literally right behind the managers cars....the drive way barely has a grade on it. kerbside park is about, <7m from the door. Doesn't have to cross a road, walk up anystairs, etc.

Outside: I'm not sure what you are getting at with your post.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I know you probably don't see it but really what you are doing is discriminating against a fellow employee and if you aren't careful you may be in for a hell of a fight.

I'll keep out of this too because I am a larger guy and will see what gets said here.

EDIT - I will also point out that if I have to walk a distance to get to work I will, I'm seriously not that freakin lazy...
Old 07-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
I know you probably don't see it but really what you are doing is discriminating against a fellow employee and if you aren't careful you may be in for a hell of a fight.

I'll keep out of this too because I am a larger guy and will see what gets said here.

EDIT - I will also point out that if I have to walk a distance to get to work I will, I'm seriously not that freakin lazy...

It's more the attitude that comes with this person as well.

We had a run in the other week as they organise morning teas which we all chip in for...and it's always bloody tim tams or chocolate cake, etc...and I fired up a bit...That's beside the point though I guess.

To further on that Rapid Axe, my main complaint is that they have and obviously think they deserve a disability permit for it…I find that insulting on behalf of those with genuine disabilities. I bet they claim disability payments as well, although that’s speculation…

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you cannot/do not want to make one of the managers carparks out front a disabled parking spot, how about turning one out the back into a disabled parking spot and have a ramp installed as an alternative to the steps?

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:

Keep in mind this person has a disabled permit and everything.
Ok, so in your role this is all that needs to exist for you to be required to act on it.

Quote:
They made their lifestyle choice, and now claim disability for it.
This is a very dangerous statement to make - not to mention an incorrect one. Not everybody who is overweight is so by choice.

Quote:
I don’t really care if this sounds like discrimination or anything like that. To me, obesity is not a disability, it’s a choice.
Well you should care, because in your role as WHS rep you will be the first port of call for Workcover should something happen to the disabled person. Regardless of whether you agree with it, you have a duty to fulfill your positions requirements and also do it transparently.

Quote:
I’m considering relinquishing my role as safety rep
By the sounds of it you probably should.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavL
If you cannot/do not want to make one of the managers carparks out front a disabled parking spot, how about turning one out the back into a disabled parking spot and have a ramp installed as an alternative to the steps?

Not an option as there is limited space out the back and a ramp would me that there would only be room for 1 park (disabled parks have to be larger by law) if that + ramp..

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

If the person has a disability permit, someone else has decided that they qualify for it. Your opinion is not required, you just have to implement the disabled policy as it applies to them.

If you are going to be judgemental, don't do the job. Otherwise you'll have to decide who is more deserving, the person born with a disability, someone with a disability as a result of accident in which they were a victim, someone with a disability as a result of an accident they caused, a disability as a result of what you deem to be a lifestyle choice?

My sister has an acquired brain injury as a result of a fall off a horse. Does your choice about whether she qualifies for assistance revolve around whether you like horses or not?

If the job is so cushy, just suck it up and do the cushy job.

I also note that the manager's car park is placed in the most convenient spot to the detriment of customers. Your work doesn't have much of a customer focus, does it?

There is a reason why the staff car parking in a shopping centre is in the quiet corner of the car park, it is so the customers get the best choice.

Finally, I've looked some of your previous posts, you like stirring things up, don't you?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
obesity is not a disability, it’s a choice.
Whilst I do not eat the best foods at times, until my second heart surgery I was a twig, like almost sickly thin, during that op something happened and in 1 yr alone I gained 35kg and I was still eating healthy aand being physically active. Ever since then no matter what I eat or do in way of excercise I will stay at 1 weight then suddenly wake up 3-5kg heavier. I do not choose to be obese it chose me and whilst I kind of help it with some of the **** I eat, even as a teen I played sport, rode 5km everyday and yet I still gained weight at random times.

Now I do understand your frustration, let me just say it irks me a bit that a fat guy can get a disability permit and possibly (you speculated) disability, when myself who has a sever heart condition and at the moment can't even walk holding his son get's jack ****. But don't paint us all with the same brush.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
If the person has a disability permit, someone else has decided that they qualify for it. Your opinion is not required, you just have to implement the disabled policy as it applies to them.

If you are going to be judgemental, don't do the job. Otherwise you'll have to decide who is more deserving, the person born with a disability, someone with a disability as a result of accident in which they were a victim, someone with a disability as a result of an accident they caused, a disability as a result of what you deem to be a lifestyle choice?

My sister has an acquired brain injury as a result of a fall off a horse. Does your choice about whether she qualifies for assistance revolve around whether you like horses or not?

If the job is so cushy, just suck it up and do the cushy job.

I also note that the manager's car park is placed in the most convenient spot to the detriment of customers. Your work doesn't have much of a customer focus, does it?

There is a reason why the staff car parking in a shopping centre is in the quiet corner of the car park, it is so the customers get the best choice.

Finally, I've looked some of your previous posts, you like stirring things up, don't you?
We aren't a customer based business, we are head office for a franchise...we don't actually sell any products, just offer support to our Outlets.

Either way, I had a chat with my manager and said I was not going to undertake the role based on personal reasons.

But I stand by what I said, I think it's an absolute crock.

As for the comment about your sister, I see that as a genuine disability and if she was an employee here I would go out of my way to help, as would I for any other disability...GENUINE disability.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

How do you know she doesn't have a genetic disability for her weight??
Old 07-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
How is it a disability even if it is genetic.

I'm quite short, 23 and only weigh 55kg...I'm genetically skinny, I must be disabled...

See, same thing really isn't it?

Someone who can eat tim tams on smoko and can get around fine, mentally unimpared and can go to a work bloody golf day and play is NOT disabled. Straight up.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lay off the chips and coke.. eat some salad ya fat bastard....
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
What makes you think the person is female Louise?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
outside
off in outer space

the sooner this thread is locked the better
i see nothing but a **** fight happening
Old 07-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thought I read it was a female..(Could have got that from the arranged a morning tea bit )..Bit presumptious on my part. Sorry.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
the sooner this thread is locked the better
i see nothing but a **** fight happening
That's right any risqué thread on here usually gets locked.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 07-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thought I read it was a female..(Could have got that from the arranged a morning tea bit )..Bit presumptious on my part. Sorry.
All good mate, just thought i'd missed that part myself and re read it twice looking
Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
outside
off in outer space

Quote:
That's right any risqué thread on here usually gets locked.
Nothing to do with your ”risqué “ thread but your bias against disable people
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

It's not up to you to judge if a person is disabled. If they have a disabled validation for parking then that's all you have to care about.

Lots of jobs have less than desirable aspects to them, you've just found this out. Either do the job or give it to someone who can.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe

If you did give them the bosses car park, would you then be discriminating against other employees?

At the end of the day, if they have a disability permit, take it up with your boss, if they say yes, then let them park there. Some things are not worth the hassle.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 07-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I will not ad to this argument as it may get me the whacky stick, but i can see this going downhill real fast.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread