Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

Default AU body kit

hi fellas

I'm just after some opinions and advice on what is the best way to go with looking to source a body kit - other than looks, cost being the main factor and I would probably not want to spend more than $700-800 on the kit, definitely a grand at the max delivered locally or to my door

I've seen a few different ones on the mod sites around and on ebay but it seems phat customs is about the only one I've found doing something abit different with their BF GT style kit and the XR typhoon style front end for the AUs but I've been told to steer clear of them several times before and after coming on here it seems thats the general consensus here also

I really like the look of their BF GT style kit though and wouldn't mind something along those lines, I definitely would prefer not to just get another TS50 kit or something along those lines

I'm considering changing to the XR style front despite not being a big fan of the look of the XR lights at all simply for resale value

also Im in QLD so I'm also curious if any of you brissy lads know of any good places down there to get kits from?

thanks everyone

FYRE_81_AUI_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
wor57

I got Genuine AU III XR8 Havoc and Sides, in primer for $700
wor57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Kryton

In all honesty, dont waste your money on something like a body kit.
Unless its a genuine kit, then its made of fibreglass and as anyone will tell you, the kit will be prone to cracking, breaking and falling apart.
Not to mention that putting a later model body kit onto an older car also looks tacky, if your concerned about resale, you wont be doing yourself ANY favours at all.

You also havent factored in the cost of fitting and painting the body kit either - theres another grand by the time its done.
That $1800 - $2000 could be better spent elsewhere IMO - either pay the car off (if it isnt already) or better yet, put it in the bank and start saving for a house.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Agree with Davway.

BUT, if you really have your heart set on a kit, and it has to be the GT kit, then Phat customs is the only place that does them (I think). There work is not first rate, but if you are prepared to fix all the pinholes, and add some thickness to their flimsy work, then at least you'll get the shape you want from them. As for an XR front - adding one to a non-XR will net you exactly nought at resale time. in fact, resale and AU in the same sentence is really an oxy-moron.

New-gel in canberra do the brumby bar - a few on here have it, and it is a great looking kit, despite being VX lower and AU upper; it ends up looking somewhere between T2 and T3, yet kind of unique. They will freight the bar to you.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

pm sent
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

wor57 - will send you a PM mate

thanks for the info guys i do appreciate your advice

personally I dont think it looks tacky at all to emulate different styles, especially taking styling cues from more modern cars, Ive seen heaps of cars with major custom work done to them which some people would call tacky which I know really appeals to the vast majority of people not confined to that form of thinking. Im not trying to create a GT or a typhoon ripoff if thats the impression that you took, I want to make the car a custom job and to look along the lines of MY tastes preferably and I just really like the styling of the B series GTs and personally think that XR50s and TS50s which most people aim for with AU styling doesnt even compare to the GT type look

anyways I definitely want to kit out the car, Ive been tossing up whether or not to do it for awhile now and wasnt going to bother but as far as resale goes with where I live AUs do still sell for quite a decent price as 2000+ model cars still hold good value here and the town is full of young teens all driving around in falcons and commodores and skylines, most have far more money then they know what to do with, so an AU thats modded, kitted out, sounds good and runs well is bound to attract a young fella with the cash to pay for it and they would be extremely hard pressed to find a stock standard AU for the same kind of price I will be looking at selling mine for. Also I understand what you are saying JC about the XR front end and usually I would agree but with most people around here being very image/looks orientated when it comes to cars, putting an XR front on will net more cash for resale, that I have no doubts about at all

as far as the kits are concerned I know most people dont appreciate fiberglass very much when it comes to cars but when its done right there is nothing wrong with using fiberglass which is why I was asking for advice on which companies are renown for making GOOD quality kits as opposed to ones with the reputation of say phat customs, also I would prefer to know from peoples experiences what QLD/Brisbane companies are good for body kits as Id like to pick it up myself preferably instead of having to ship it here so that it doesnt get damaged as Im sure most people know what courier companies are like..

and I have actually factored in the costs of fitting and painting, I just didnt mention it because its of little concern to me in my position as I can paint it myself easily and fitting it to the car is absolute childs play so the costs there are nothing to really worry about

cheers and thanks again for the info
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

is this the brumby bar you were talking about JC?

if so I am definitely NOT a fan of that look at all, especially with the hawk grille
it just looks like a dodgy version of the C2R havoc front end to me
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yep, that's the one. With the series 2 grille and bonnet, it looks heaps better.

I'd try google for body kit places in Brisbane - should bring up a few hits. otherwise, try www.SSV.com.au 9they're in sydney though).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wor57
I got Genuine AU III XR8 Havoc and Sides, in primer for $700
Where?
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
You also havent factored in the cost of fitting and painting the body kit either - theres another grand by the time its done.
That $1800 - $2000 could be better spent elsewhere IMO - either pay the car off (if it isnt already) or better yet, put it in the bank and start saving for a house.
Ah, you've gotta love the AU section. Start a thread asking about body kits and get financial advice instead
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ah, you've gotta love the AU section. Start a thread asking about body kits and get financial advice instead
Its all part of the service
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

AUFalcon.com.au, the place for financial and lifestyle advice..

.. and AU Falcons!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
FYRE_81_AUI_00
woop woop woop woop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
HLC
Audi S3

im with the masses and dont waste your money on kitting your AU out lol

many of us have spent thousands on their AU's which are now worth 2-3 if we sell them. My car is worth more if it's stolen. go figure.

ANYWAY, i've always been a big fan of the AU2/AU3 Tickford Skirt kit with Fairmont front lip... well that's what my car wears.

Cost way too much, the fibreglass fit was rubbish - except the rear which is genuine plastic and the colour match is awful. But you get what you pay for.

If you must get something good AWC or Fibresports (i think Fibresports) is there current name, they seem to be the best in the business for fibreglass stuff.

IIRC, they use to supple SSV with the body kits that they would then re-sell.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

i was looking for a kit a while back, but decided against it coz i had to pay rego, tyres etc. ANYWAY, i looked through 4 or 5 ford wrecking yards and you can get tickford and ba -bf genuine kits for 300 - 500 dollars. but they weren't the same colour as my car and you'd have to modify b series kits coz they're a bit longer, but hey it saves a bit of money that you could spend on paint and modifying the kit if needs be. just having my honest say.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
robbyj
Rob

pm sent
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

I went with a full TL50 kit on mine and the only way to get it was to go GENUINE parts.. needless to say it cost me a small fortune...!
Unless you're going to go genuine parts I wouldn't bother going a bodykit mate.. You won't be happy with the quality of fibreglass and you'll end up hating the fact you spent money in the wrong place..
Just my opinion..

Cheers
Kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #18
markscottefxr8
drive hot Cars just cause

Default Re: AU body kit

ive been hunting for a genuine XR50 front end for my xr8.. to me it looks brilliant. Anyway like people said i dont want fibre glass. If anyone has one let me know for sale or if anyone in adelaide has a car with one on it id greatly appreciate a few minutes alone with your car. I have access to a scanner thing for cad. My mates workshop create replica stonework and use it to get an identical drawing. I would then form the extra section on my existing xr front. I dont mind the work and i know itll come out perfect but if anyone has a genuine one anywhere in Oz in any condition let us know. Cash waiting.
markscottefxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #19
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

No such thing as a genuine XR50.
It was created by Adam at AWC and all were glass to my understanding
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #20
nstg8a

This, finding a genuine xr50 front is like finding a genuine gt ute...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post