Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
HSE2

Default Ford GT returns as hybrid!

Ford GT returns as hybrid!
Ford's new supercar features V8 hybrid drivetrain and will take on McLaren and Ferrari - but cost less than both.

It’s take three for the Ford GT! Auto Express has learned that the blue oval is readying an all-new mid-engined supercar – and it’s set to feature hybrid power.

The model follows on from the original Sixties GT40, as well as the GT, built between 2005 and 2006. It will take aim at Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren by using the most advanced technology available to deliver massive straight-line performance. And our exclusive images predict how the Detroit missile is shaping up.

In a bid to distance the new model from the 2005 GT, of which only 100 examples reached Europe, there will be a new design direction. While the GT used plenty of styling cues from the original GT40 racer of the Sixties, the latest interpretation is likely to forego the retro body panels and get a sharper, more modern look.

Evoking memories of the 1995 Ford GT90 concept, which had a 720bhp quad-turbocharged V12, the new GT will put an updated spin on the GT40’s design, with a huge front air intake, angular headlights and vents in the bonnet and flanks.

The overall proportions and mid-engined configuration will remain intact, though – and that will help to provide balanced handling. The biggest news comes under the skin, though. A supercharged V8 provides the power, but extra boost is available at the touch of a button from an electric motor driving the front wheels.

This is similar to the set-up on the Porsche 918 Spyder-style. Add stop-start and the ability to run solely on electricity for brief periods of time, and the new GT would showcase Ford’s green credentials. But as total power will be around 600bhp, the newcomer will still keep pace with other mid-engined supercars such as the McLaren MP4-12C and Ferrari 458 Italia, as well as the successors to the Lamborghini Gallardo and Audi R8.

Keeping the weight to a minimum is an all-aluminium chassis and composite body panels. Expect the GT to tip the scales at around 1,400kg, which is nearly 200kg lighter than the car it replaces. That means a power to weight ratio in the region of 430bhp per tonne, while a three-second 0-62mph time and a top speed in excess of 200mph are targets. And while it won’t be cheap, the car is sure to undercut its rivals.

There’s no word yet on when we’ll catch our first glimpse of the newcomer, and a spokesman for Ford UK remained tight-lipped. But with the economy in gradual recovery and a raft of brand new supercars on the way – the Ferrari FF, Pagani Huayra and Lamborghini Aventador all arrive at March’s Geneva Motor Show – there couldn’t be a better time for Ford to take the plunge

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz1D43K3Aoj

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

What's the bet it looks nothing like that at all.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well that picture still has styling cues from the 60's model.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
What's the bet it looks nothing like that at all.
yup thinking the same thing.

see it below

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

ugly.

The GT40 was beautiful and now they are going to ruin it.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Kind of a mash between the old gt90 and the gt40, pretty sure that rear end was on a capri concept.

I don't care how fast it is, hybrids are for passenger cars.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Wonder what engine they'll use.

How much longer will the Aluminium 5.4L engine be able to meet emissions?

And if it can't be improved much further, does anyone know if the version of the Coyote in the Shelby GT350 has been put through Ford Durability testing or is Miami the only completely tested SC 5.0 engine available?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone else noticed how popular the whale shark front is getting?

Not liking it to be honest and I've always been a massive fan of the Ford GT. Is this going to be an alternative hybrid version or is it going to be the actual successor?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
CobraJet351

Rear end is off the Shelby GR1 concept
CobraJet351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
ugly.

The GT40 was beautiful and now they are going to ruin it.
I dunno, I definitely wouldn't turn it down if someone decided to give me one hehe
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Kind of a mash between the old gt90 and the gt40, pretty sure that rear end was on a capri concept.

I don't care how fast it is, hybrids are for passenger cars.
You mean like V8s are for trucks, LPG is for barbecues, diesel is for tractors and forced induction is for aviation?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

No he means like vacuum cleaners run on electricity, supercars run on highly explosive liquid. You wouldn't buy a V6 vacuum cleaner, why would you want an electric motor on your supercar?

I haven't decided whether I agree, I'm waiting to see what sort of batteries it uses. But I'm pretty sure that's what hes getting at.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
No he means like vacuum cleaners run on electricity, supercars run on highly explosive liquid. You wouldn't buy a V6 vacuum cleaner, why would you want an electric motor on your supercar?

I haven't decided whether I agree, I'm waiting to see what sort of batteries it uses. But I'm pretty sure that's what hes getting at.
Why would you want an electric motor in your supercar?

Instant maximum torque from 0-infinity RPM.
Instant response to throttle change.
Instant and absolutely variable engine back pressure on drive train.
Power delivery can be changed hundreds of times a second to ensure absolutely maximum traction.
Just to mention a few.

Comparing an electric motor hybrid supercar to a conventional supercar is like comparing a coyote to a stroked windsor.......
Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You mean like V8s are for trucks, LPG is for barbecues, diesel is for tractors and forced induction is for aviation?
Bah enough of the analogies...sorry but IMO, and thats all it is, peak performance marques should be kept the way they are, everything else can run on hippies tears for all I care.

I sat through a week of "green car" conferences late last year, and it was the most bleak outlook at the automotive industry I have witnessed. Electronic gurus will love it and the hippies will get their way...its not what I define as motoring but what can you do.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bah enough of the analogies...sorry but IMO, and thats all it is, peak performance marques should be kept the way they are, everything else can run on hippies tears for all I care.

I sat through a week of "green car" conferences late last year, and it was the most bleak outlook at the automotive industry I have witnessed. Electronic gurus will love it and the hippies will get their way...its not what I define as motoring but what can you do.
It is dangerous to go anywhere it all you ever do is look backwards, you will tend to run into things.

With supercars PERFORMANCE is the ONLY criteria, not heritage, emotion, stripes or badges. Fastest wins.

How would we be if we were STILL fitting clevos with a carburetor, drum brakes, leaf spring rear ends et al. to the 2011 GT?

Well I am sure some people would just love it but I am fairly sure even THEY would not buy one especially after they saw it get thrashed by a bog standard FG 6 cyl auto.......
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

those renders look nice, sorta has cues from the GR-1 concept, while retaining the sleak low GT40 look.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
How would we be if we were STILL fitting clevos with a carburetor, drum brakes, leaf spring rear ends et al. to the 2011 GT?
We'd probably have less population problems
Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Could we see a version of the Miami Engine be slotted in this car????
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
mick10010

Hybrids
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
It is dangerous to go anywhere it all you ever do is look backwards, you will tend to run into things.

With supercars PERFORMANCE is the ONLY criteria, not heritage, emotion, stripes or badges. Fastest wins.

Well I am sure some people would just love it but I am fairly sure even THEY would not buy one especially after they saw it get thrashed by a bog standard FG 6 cyl auto.......
Sometimes when we think we are going forwards, in reality we are only going sideways. Its perhaps another thread but when you look at the overall life cycle of a current hybrid, its recyclability, battery life (and its own life cycle) then they are not all what they seem to be, but aslong as the L/100 is down and the CO2 levels are low its ok I guess....

I dont dispute the potential of these setups, just the value if all we are doing is running in circles.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why would you want an electric motor in your supercar?

Instant maximum torque from 0-infinity RPM.
Instant response to throttle change.
Instant and absolutely variable engine back pressure on drive train.
Power delivery can be changed hundreds of times a second to ensure absolutely maximum traction.
Just to mention a few.

Comparing an electric motor hybrid supercar to a conventional supercar is like comparing a coyote to a stroked windsor.......
You almost make it sound like a good thing. I suck at remembering to charge my phone, never mind a damn car.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sometimes when we think we are going forwards, in reality we are only going sideways. Its perhaps another thread but when you look at the overall life cycle of a current hybrid, its recyclability, battery life (and its own life cycle) then they are not all what they seem to be, but aslong as the L/100 is down and the CO2 levels are low its ok I guess....

I dont dispute the potential of these setups, just the value if all we are doing is running in circles.
Do you remember just how bad the first turbo charged cars were?
Superchargers that ate belts like a fat kid at a cream bun shop?
Of the first disc braked falcons that used to start fires after a hot lap or two?
How about the first automatic transmissions?
The air con systems that used half of your available power?
Early electronic fuel injection was a mine field.
Power brakes, now there was a good way to lock up your front wheels and lose control in the wet.
The nutty electronic door locks that used to dance in time to your music?
Syncro-mesh that only worked on every second Thursday?
When 30l/100km was really good highway fuel economy but you did use a bit more around town.

I have been around long enough to remember when only a "hairdresser" would have girly components like syncro, floor shift, aircon, power steering, disc brakes, fuel injection etc.

You know, all those things you get in a FPV..........

Technology advances, ignoring it does not slow it down, just slows you down......
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

hybrids don't have to have batteries, or a system that needs plugging in overnight or something. to me it sounds similar to the KERS system in F1 and porsche have also tried it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
hybrids don't have to have batteries, or a system that needs plugging in overnight or something. to me it sounds similar to the KERS system in F1 and porsche have also tried it.
There have been hundreds of hybrids running all over Australia for at least 40 years doing hundreds of millions of kilometres carrying billions of tonnes of freight.

Look up how a diesel-electric locomotive works........
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Do you remember just how bad the first turbo charged cars were?
Superchargers that ate belts like a fat kid at a cream bun shop?
Of the first disc braked falcons that used to start fires after a hot lap or two?
How about the first automatic transmissions?
The air con systems that used half of your available power?
Early electronic fuel injection was a mine field.
Power brakes, now there was a good way to lock up your front wheels and lose control in the wet.
The nutty electronic door locks that used to dance in time to your music?
Syncro-mesh that only worked on every second Thursday?
When 30l/100km was really good highway fuel economy but you did use a bit more around town.

I have been around long enough to remember when only a "hairdresser" would have girly components like syncro, floor shift, aircon, power steering, disc brakes, fuel injection etc.

You know, all those things you get in a FPV..........

Technology advances, ignoring it does not slow it down, just slows you down......
Yes, I'm old enough to remember! Love this post!
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #27
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Sometimes technology gets it right, sometimes some fruitcakes desperate for media attention make something different for the sake of being different.

Electric powered or partly powered cars have made no significant improvement since they were reinvented late in the 20th century.

Change for the sake of change is not progress. I vote we let the do gooders and the one-track-minds continue pursuing electric power, while the rest of the world moves on with other ideas. Competition creates a better product. (that said, it doesn't seem to have helped Mazda and it's RX rotaries).

Only time will tell if electric is the way of the future or something future generations will laugh at.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #28
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraJet351
Rear end is off the Shelby GR1 concept

That's what I was thinking, the front looks like it's from the gr1 as well
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Sometimes technology gets it right, sometimes some fruitcakes desperate for media attention make something different for the sake of being different.

Electric powered or partly powered cars have made no significant improvement since they were reinvented late in the 20th century.

Change for the sake of change is not progress. I vote we let the do gooders and the one-track-minds continue pursuing electric power, while the rest of the world moves on with other ideas. Competition creates a better product. (that said, it doesn't seem to have helped Mazda and it's RX rotaries).

Only time will tell if electric is the way of the future or something future generations will laugh at.
As opposed to the internal combustion engine which stayed basically the same for almost a century..........
Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #30
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Clearly they've used cues from only some of the previous concepts... below is one concept they haven't integrated into their mock up.