Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
LXL15

Question Ignition Questions

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me HOW the ignition switches work in AUs (or any falcon for that matter)? What is their internal structure? From the wiring diagrams, it seems to be a four pointed switch, but I'm not sure.

And I know the ignition sends a signal to the computer which then starts the starter motor, but is this actually a special code, or more just the closing of a circuit?

Cheers.

PS I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but seeing as people here know everything, I figured it'd be the best place for it.

LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As a newish member, you might want to explain why you need this info before too much is given away.

The BEM signal controls not only the starter, but the fuel pumps, coilpack etc. Pretty hard to bypass.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
LXL15

Oh right. That does look dodgy now I read it again.

I was just thinking about putting in a starter button rather than key in ignition, not really ever going to do it probably, but i just like trying to figure these things out. But now I see why it's probably not wise to answer my question. Sorry about that.
Old 20-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

You are not trying to bypass the ignition are you. You mean turn key to on, then push a button to start. Don't know why you would want it, but is very simple - push a button to supply 12 volts to starter solenoid.
AMB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
LXL15

I wasn't trying to bypass the ignition, I was thinking of a way to do it without having to insert and turn the key, something like one of those systems where the key has to be within a certain distance of the ignition for the car to start.

I saw that FTG Autosalvage had the button/key ones for sale that were just plug and go, and was just thinking of a way to do it without needing to isnert the key anywhere. Ie, just get in the car, bush the button and go.
Old 22-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXL15
I wasn't trying to bypass the ignition, I was thinking of a way to do it without having to insert and turn the key, something like one of those systems where the key has to be within a certain distance of the ignition for the car to start.

I saw that FTG Autosalvage had the button/key ones for sale that were just plug and go, and was just thinking of a way to do it without needing to isnert the key anywhere. Ie, just get in the car, bush the button and go.
The only way to do that is to get an ignition component that reads the key when it is in proximity, rather than having to have it inserted. Shouldn't be hard in theory, but good luck finding it.

I have a button in mine - cost me around $20 off ebay, and was easy to wire in (even came with a relay, which are $10 on their own at the local auto parts store). But I still need to the key to be in the On posiyion before pressing the button - and I've diabled the actual key turn start so you have to use the button (just like FPV).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post