Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
harry216921
Starter Motor

Default Out of points...

So I got a bunch of speeding fines in 2008, totaling up to 11 points.

Managed to score 0 points in 2009 / 2010, however I got done last weekend for 3 points :(

I was due to get 3 points back in March this year...

Does anybody know if the demerit points get added at the date of infringement, or the date of payment?

ie. If I hold off payment until after those 3 points are due back, will I still lose my licence?

Wishful thinking maybe!

harry216921 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
munkky
turbo mafia

i think its when you coped the fine but my dad said its three years so i dont know mate good luck

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
munkky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

as soon as the cop processes the ticket the points get deducted.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

One way to check ... well in NSW anyway ... is via RTA's website ... you can check how man points you have been deducted so far.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 14-01-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: bloody typos
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
Spot on the money, doesnt matter if you hold out for your due date, once processed thats it mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Fireblade
Wizard Member

In SA the points get deducted once the fine is paid as that is taken as an admission of guilt.
Old 14-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i seem to remember anther post where someone in a similar situation got probation thing happening, sort of if they loose no points for x amount of time they keep their licence, but 1 misdemenor its cancelled, organised with the RTA i think, it might pay to ask questions.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
FgNewbie
Australia

Don't know where Harry is

In NSW, 3 yrs from offence date, not payment date BUT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
Not in NSW, I didn't look at the other states.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...oint_faqs.html

In the case of a penalty notice, the RTA will be advised of the offence and add the demerit points after you pay the fine to the State Debt Recovery Office (SDRO), or if payment is not made, when the final date for payment is reached.

In the old days it was easy to string it out for months. Everytime you made representation the final date was extended until the final reply which would say pay up or go to court.

If you are in NSW, from the same link
If your licence has expired or is about to expire, a Notice of Suspension will not be issued. Instead, you will be refused a licence when you attend a motor registry and apply for a licence renewal.

mik I did my points in 1980. Although too long ago to be relevant. I had a choice of 3 months suspension or 12 months probation. I took it to court and got 1 month probation.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could try using the urban myth
If the fine is say $200, then send a cheque for $201
According to the myth, this causes the computer to get confused and put a hold on proceedings until the correct amount is tendered.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
harry216921
Starter Motor

Yeah I got that email Pedro, but couldn't remember the trick, might have to give it a try...

Mik - same thing in VIC as far as I know, but I'm not too keen on gambling with my licence. It's fairly easy to have a small slip up and get done by a camera car for 5km/h over, then the result is a lost licence for 6 months rather than 3 months. Really not a fan of these laws.

Might just pay it, and write a letter - see how it goes!
Old 14-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
You could try using the urban myth
If the fine is say $200, then send a cheque for $201
That's exactly what it is, a myth.

Perhaps you should fight it. Even if it is just to delay when the points are accumulated so you can try and make it to March. Probably have to pay additional court costs but better than losing your licence for however long.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In vic, its 3 years from date of offence, but they will not remove the points until you have paid the fine. So try holding off paying the fine and then pay it, See if anything comes in the in the weeks after.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

In Queensland the points do NOT get deducted until the fine is paid OR the matter is turned over to S.P.E.R for collection..

Is you lose 11 points on the 1/1/08 for example then you will only have 1 point up until the 1/1/11... It takes three years to get them back ..

Unfortunately your licence may/will be cancelled as well after you think you have gotten away with it...

I held out once to get my Opens... which i did and 2 months later i received a letter that my open licence was cancelled , you also forfeit whatever it cost you.. and 5 yr licences are not cheap.

Daz.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
In Queensland the points do NOT get deducted until the fine is paid OR the matter is turned over to S.P.E.R for collection..

Is you lose 11 points on the 1/1/08 for example then you will only have 1 point up until the 1/1/11... It takes three years to get them back ..

Unfortunately your licence may/will be cancelled as well after you think you have gotten away with it...

I held out once to get my Opens... which i did and 2 months later i received a letter that my open licence was cancelled , you also forfeit whatever it cost you.. and 5 yr licences are not cheap.

Daz.
This is correct in QLD.. No points till the fine is paid incase the individual takes it to court.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you appeal it on the grounds you need your licence for work etc?

Worked for me a couple of times. (am good boy now)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's exactly what it is, a myth.

Perhaps you should fight it. Even if it is just to delay when the points are accumulated so you can try and make it to March. Probably have to pay additional court costs but better than losing your licence for however long.
sorry to inform you it was not a myth,it worked for lots of people for years, but now its a legend as they changed the system in Victoria quite a lot of years ago i heard which stopped the loophole,but i have not tested it for 20 years as i live in QLD now
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Vic no points are deducted until you pay the fine (according to this guy anyway):
http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/demerit.points.html

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #18
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry216921
So I got a bunch of speeding fines in 2008, totaling up to 11 points.

Managed to score 0 points in 2009 / 2010, however I got done last weekend for 3 points :(

I was due to get 3 points back in March this year...

Does anybody know if the demerit points get added at the date of infringement, or the date of payment?

ie. If I hold off payment until after those 3 points are due back, will I still lose my licence?

Wishful thinking maybe!
SORRY MATE you have a lot longer to wait,
clear points are not gained till the start of 4 years,3 years in full from date of Transport dept recieving ticket,so effectively you wait till the start of the 4th year,dont worry most people think the same thing until they test it out.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just do the 12 month good behaviour bond. Then you wont lose your licence. I've done it a few times... and made it through.

Its a choice between losing your licence for 3 months now, or risking a point over 12 months(if you get one you lose your licence for 6 months)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
SORRY MATE you have a lot longer to wait,
clear points are not gained till the start of 4 years,3 years in full from date of Transport dept recieving ticket,so effectively you wait till the start of the 4th year,dont worry most people think the same thing until they test it out.
While that is true, you have the maths wrong.

You get 3 points on 3/4/2008.
3/4/2009 - 1 year
3/4/2010 - 2 years
3/4/2011 - 3 years, points deleted.

4/4/2011 would be the first day of the 4th year.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

If you are in Queensland, you can choose the good behaviour option. It means another 12 months on effectively 1 point. (You have two, but can only loose 1, so you would still have 1 left).

After that 12 months you have all your points back. (12 for open, & 4 for P's).

or if you can take the hit for 3 months & at the end of that 12 weeks, you have all your points reinstated.

I know, I have done this twice with the good behaviour option while on my P's. During the second one, with about 2 months to go, I switched over to my opens, & was reinstated with 12 points after the year.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 14-01-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #22
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

yep... do the one point probation trick. that way you can still drive and you learn to use the cruise control.

you went through `09 + `10 with out losing any so surely you can give 12 months a good go. just need to be a bit more careful for a while. then when the 12 months are up you get a clean licence ready to run riot again.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #23
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In VIC the points do only count after the fine is paid in case it is contested in court, however this doesn't really help as the points are back dated to the date of the infringement. I know this because i was on my last point when i got fined so i contested it, it was in the court system for 18 months and the fine stood. Even though i had gained back three points by then, i still received a letter giving me a choice of 3 months suspension or 12 months on 1 point.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The points system definately works on the offense date. The way to double check this is, the transport dept (in S.A anyway) send out a letter if you have 3 or less points left on your licence. This letter states dates of offenses occured, what the offense was and how many demerit points you lost. It doesn't state when you actually paid the fines.

So it's upto you which option you take, as far as your licence is concerned. Take the 3 month ban, or the 12 months with minimal points.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #25
harry216921
Starter Motor

Thanks XESP351 - I thought this was the case...

Looks like it's gamble time... 12 month good behaviour here I come!

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 15-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #26
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if this site have credence:-
http://www.aussiespeedingfines.com/
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #27
TS5019
As Always, On The Road!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
sorry to inform you it was not a myth,it worked for lots of people for years, but now its a legend as they changed the system in Victoria quite a lot of years ago i heard which stopped the loophole,but i have not tested it for 20 years as i live in QLD now
Bang on mate. Doesnt work any more......
Now if you pay 1 dollar extra......it just gets added to the revenue.
Probably also gives em an excuse to up the fines.......

Toy : 1969 VF Valiant, Orancia Orange, Pacer Stripes, 318 Fireball, 650 Holley, Performer Manifold, Comp Cam, Stainless Valves, ARP Stud Kit, High Volume Oil Pump, Pacemakers, Twin 2 1/2" System, Gilmer Drives, 4 Speed Manual, LSD, Mini Lites, Venetian Blinds
TS5019 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #28
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Or you could... You bad bad person !!! Lol..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images jail.jpg (10.0 KB, 47 views)
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
MAV50L
Banned

in NSW demerit points actually stay on your licence for 3 years and 4 months.
They are not deducted until you pay the fine and admit guilt.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

in NSW you do not lose the points until the fine is paid or the court makes a decision THIS IS 100% FACT.

about 15 years ago i was about to lose my licence and went down to SA and got a 10 year one the systems were not linked up than i am not sure about post 2007 which means if you get a fine outside of SA you will lose no points from your SA licence...

You will need proof of residency though i was lucky in that i was going down there for work and was staying for months at a time i got a letter from the local office of my work down there and went to sa roads with my NSW lic and that.

im am positive that the nsw/vic and act systems are now linked not sure about the rest of oz

edit: also i tried the extra dollar thing it did not work for me.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post