Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Somethng that irritates me

So I was driving down a 60km road, tram lines in the middle, can be considered two lanes, anywho, a line of six cars were driving at 40km, i pulled out to the left lane to overtake only to see a cop car hogging the right lane doing 20km under!!

I continued along at 60km in the left lane over taking the row of cars and the police car who's driver had a completely blank expression, I didn't get pulled over, not even a second look.

So I ask this question..

Why?

Why do people freak out when they see a police car on the road and drive ridiculously cautiously?

It may seem unnecessary to rant over something like this considering it only took up 30 seconds of my journey, seeing six cars all afraid to overtake a car painted blue and white doing 20km under the limit really made me think how much these scare tactics are impacting the Australian roads and the motorists afraid to exercise their rights as Australian citizens to use them freely within a law abiding manner.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

People think they will get pulled over for nothing. If your in a car that can get a sticker then I can see why you would do it but other than that who knows.

Funny a couple of years ago I when serviced one of the cop cars. I drove slowly on purpose on the roadtest and nobody would drive past me(it was a 3 lane road). Then the strange faces when they saw me driving realising I wasnt a cop.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

Considering it is a police car, some people may assume the police car is traveling slow for a reason, and just chill. Others arent in such a hurry that they feel the need to pass just because the guy in front in going slower. Sometimes its not a police car, sometimes it is, and whoever is trying to find where they are going, Im patient. It wont be there forever. Who knows why, I know why I dont always just jump past the car in front simply because he is going slower than the limit, unless its an open road and likely to be for miles and miles.

What gets me, is people who assume what the motivations are for other motorists who theyve likely never spoken too. How do you know they are too scared?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

This is why the governments should be investing there road safety money in more cop cars rather than hiding a ute/terri in some bushes.
Everyone sees a cop and pays attention not only for the 30secs whilst going past the camera but the whole stretch in which they are relatively close to Mr Plod.

I passed a cop the in the week doing the same thing. Sitting in two lane traffic doing 10-15 under the limit. The bastard was in an unmarked commo though.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe they all had a bootload full of drugs....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351

What gets me, is people who assume what the motivations are for other motorists who theyve likely never spoken too. How do you know they are too scared?

Ok, perhaps this particular road that i have commuted down to and from the city every day for the last 8 months, the same road that regularly flows at 60km.. Perhaps this one day on a road near empty, six cars decided to drive at 20km below the speed limit, it was just absolute sheer coincidence that there was a police car in front of them.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Ok, perhaps this particular road that i have commuted down to and from the city every day for the last 8 months, the same road that regularly flows at 60km.. Perhaps this one day on a road near empty, six cars decided to drive at 20km below the speed limit, it was just absolute sheer coincidence that there was a police car in front of them.
You missed the point. None of that says they are scared. It could simply be they think the police have a reason to travel that slow, and they patiently wait for it to move off to wherever. I do it with the average motorist too, Im not usually in so much of a hurry I need to pass, I can just be patient.

Patience, not fear.
Old 25-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A guilty conscience maybe?

I have seen that kinda thing before, where a cop car was going back to the station and it was cruising at 55kmh. Everyone else was behind or beside it, not wanting to overtake!

i can almost garantee that police do it on purpose for a laugh!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Just like when people come to a fixed speed camera's and do 20km/h under coz they think they may get done..

You can do the speed limit and not get done people............
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Just saw your location Addz08; it is amazing the amount of people doing 80k's past the fixed camera near D'bay exit.
I go past doing 98 on the sat nav, when I am not stuck behind a moron doing 80 that is. They probably think I am going to get caught.
I feel sorry for the truckies that have to be in the left lane actually.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've always wanted to drive a cop car to see if people drive differently.
Old 25-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
Just saw your location Addz08; it is amazing the amount of people doing 80k's past the fixed camera near D'bay exit.
I go past doing 98 on the sat nav, when I am not stuck behind a moron doing 80 that is. They probably think I am going to get caught.
I feel sorry for the truckies that have to be in the left lane actually.

Yeah mate that's the one, bloody annoying..
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen cops at 95 or there abouts on the highway. Nobody will go past. I will happily cruise past at 110 and have never been pulled over.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

yeah you see it all the time, who knows what their intentions are but my philosophy is out of sight out mind. "Let sleeping dogs lie."
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you see a cop car and they are driving below the speed limit, and there are a few cars behind them doing the same, a few things pop into your mind -

1) Did i miss a speed sign, are they driving to the limit, am i mistaken
2) Is there something wrong with my speedo
3) Is there something wrong with my car, that if I went past the cops ( I am raising a red flag), and they will pull me over.

And then you often get the oldies who think, if the cops are doing that speed, then they must be right.

You often find these days, that road crews are getting more pathetic when it comes to making sure proper speed signage is up (clearly visible, decrease in speed as approaching, increasing speed signage as leaving), an sometimes you dont know exactly what you should be doing. Most people just err on the side of caution, as they do around emergency vehicles etc.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #16
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Because this is Victoria. No more needs to be said.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard a story from this guy he was driving on highway 110.. He came up to a row of cars doing about 95 following a car with flashing lights on the roof(turned off obviously)

The guy was about to join the end of the line following this car, but said stuff it at the last minute and over took them all. Upon overtaking the front car he saw it was a fire brigade car and not a cop. Lol

But yeah I never go slow for no reason near cops.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #18
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
You missed the point. None of that says they are scared. It could simply be they think the police have a reason to travel that slow, and they patiently wait for it to move off to wherever. I do it with the average motorist too, Im not usually in so much of a hurry I need to pass, I can just be patient.

Patience, not fear.
No point to be missed...if the copper was not doing the speed limit due to a hazzard or what not ahead....he shoulda had his flashing lights on...otherwise he's a hazzard himself. Plain n simple.....the six Ned Flanders behind him were to puckered up to overtake. If the cop car wasnt there...it woulda been business as usual.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #19
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
No point to be missed...if the copper was not doing the speed limit due to a hazzard or what not ahead....he shoulda had his flashing lights on...otherwise he's a hazzard himself. Plain n simple.....the six Ned Flanders behind him were to puckered up to overtake. If the cop car wasnt there...it woulda been business as usual.
I know Ive done it more than once, wasnt fear. I had no idea what the copper was up to, had no idea if maybe he was attending a call without sirens and lights for a reason. Who knows? Ive also done it with non police cars going a tad under, again, I dont know why they are going 15 under.

What harm is there in being patient? The only issue is when someone is impatient and does something stupid. Or is traveling at say 70 or more meaning a 15km/h speed differential is now 25 or more. Same as the idea that someone nearly runs up the back of a car at a speed camera or whatever, how close are you driving behind them? Or are they locking up and dropping from 100 to 30? Maybe some go hard at it and knock off 20km/h, you shouldnt be close enough to nearly rear end them anyway. Youre supposed to travel at a distance that allows for a complete stop, let alone a drop of 20km/h. Im trying comprehend whats going through someones mind if they know this will happen, why they have it happen to them more than once? What, you cant create a tad more distance between you and the car in front as you approach the camera? What the hell are you thinking if you cant predict said behaviour youve witnessed more than once?

I also dont get how a car not doing the limit is a hazard to anyone driving to the conditions. Obviously someone doing 10 km/h on a 100km/h road could be a hazard, but one doing 45 in a what, 50, 60 zone? Pffft. Its ironic really, on a forum of posters that seems to think they could easily make up their own mind what is a safe speed to sit on and not create problems, so many still make excuses for being unable to avoid an accident, that is the indication of that claim. Seems to me there would much more variation in how fast the many many cars would be driving at if its was up to each driver, and the speed differential could be vast, not simply 10km/h. If 10 or so km/h creates a hazard for ya, you havent got any chance dealing with 100km/h speed differences. Yeah yeah I know, open limits on open roads, not main roads and surface streets, Ill get to that.

You may want to rethink what that argument strategy says. Its not a hazard because someone doesnt quite sit on the limit. Not for anyone paying attention and driving to the conditions it doesnt, conditions include what other traffic is doing. This is one reason people who have driveways on main roads have such a dangerous time simply trying to get into the driveway. Some clown assumes they are driving to the same distant place, not that they may be stopping at the next driveway. They need to indicate a couple of hundred metres early, and slow down over a large distance just to be sure the clown up their clacker is going to realise they are stopping. The same experience I have half the time I pull into my street off the main rd. Theres nearly always some idiot right up my clacker, I suppose I should be taking it at 60. Its one lane, downhill, more than 90 degrees, and slopes away from the turn as you enter the street. Pedestrians cross there too. I actually need to slow to 10. But for whatever reason, the car behind needs to sit about 30cm from my bumper, Im not kidding. The idea of slowing down seems repulsive to some drivers, they just cant bring themselves to do it without some form of asshattery to accompany it. Its this asshattery that cause the problem, not the guy trying to turn or whatever he is legally entitled to do.

People are just too impatient. We will never have higher limits while people drive like that. We cant even make a reasoned argument to garner support when we make silly comments like 15 under in a 60 zone is a hazard. Other people also drive, they know the only way thats possible is if your too close to the car in front, or speeding. Why would they listen to anything else said?

Last edited by fmc351; 26-12-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 26-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addz08
Just like when people come to a fixed speed camera's and do 20km/h under coz they think they may get done..

You can do the speed limit and not get done people............
Perhaps people slow down because the camera has been set to snap unwary drivers under the speed limit, to make up its quota...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You may want to rethink what that argument strategy says. Its not a hazard because someone doesnt quite sit on the limit. Not for anyone paying attention and driving to the conditions it doesnt, conditions include what other traffic is doing. This is one reason people who have driveways on main roads have such a dangerous time simply trying to get into the driveway. Some clown assumes they are driving to the same distant place, not that they may be stopping at the next driveway. They need to indicate a couple of hundred metres early, and slow down over a large distance just to be sure the clown up their clacker is going to realise they are stopping. The same experience I have half the time I pull into my street off the main rd. Theres nearly always some idiot right up my clacker, I suppose I should be taking it at 60. Its one lane, downhill, more than 90 degrees, and slopes away from the turn as you enter the street. Pedestrians cross there too. I actually need to slow to 10. But for whatever reason, the car behind needs to sit about 30cm from my bumper, Im not kidding. The idea of slowing down seems repulsive to some drivers, they just cant bring themselves to do it without some form of asshattery to accompany it. Its this asshattery that cause the problem, not the guy trying to turn or whatever he is legally entitled to do.
This is spot on. No one wants to slow down.

When I was on my P's I was turning right on a small back street to another small back street. The road ahead was a blind corner and the road I was turning into had quite a large sudden dip on entry. So I indicated well in advanced and slowed ride down to make sure I could see enough around this blind corner then as I turn the Toyota camery behind starts laying on it horn at me.
I actually turned at a reasonably quick speed compared to some other people at that corner. This ******* still thought it was so rude that I slowed him down from a safe speed for that bend of about 40 down to 15-20 for my turn.

The road this idiot behind me was on sort of goes to nowhere, just a few houses, I was tempted to follow him to his house and ask what the **** his problem was with beeping me for turning legally.
if it happened again tomorrow I would probably go out of my way to question him.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #22
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha forget about it regardless if it's a cop I always overtake if their going slow and check for hazards. We have a right on the road as motorists.

We do have to Obey the road rules after all ha

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #23
74_XB_Ute

[QUOTE=fmc351] We cant even make a reasoned argument to garner support when we make silly comments like 15 under in a 60 zone is a hazard. QUOTE]

It was actually 20kph under in a 60 zone....so someone doing 33% less than the speed limit I would consider an obstruction which may result in a hazard. Not everyone is happy to sit behind a slow driver (and no mention of conditions here) and nor should they have to if the limit is indicated at 60. Now if someone travelling in the left lane was doing the limit....and one of the drivers behind the slow driver became aggitated and decided to overtake in the left lane. Even if it was safe or unsafe to do so it could result in an accident. This situation wouldn't have risen if everyone was driving to the normal flow of traffic.
I mean lets face reality here....everyone has somewhere to go and something to do these days...and we want it to happen as quickly as possible. Otherwise we wouldn't upgrade our technology...its just a fact of the world we live in today. So from my observations on the road....not many drivers tolerate a slow driver in the right lane. I'm not talking about how we should be...im talking about how we are.
So yes...the copper in the right lane doing 33% less than the limit i would consider an obstruction (in my opinion...maybe not by definition) ....and while he may have every right to drive slow in the right lane....hey...move to the left....be a little courtious....and allow the drivers that are willing to do the limit do so.
Old 26-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
It was actually 20kph under in a 60 zone....so someone doing 33% less than the speed limit I would consider an obstruction which may result in a hazard. Not everyone is happy to sit behind a slow driver (and no mention of conditions here) and nor should they have to if the limit is indicated at 60. Now if someone travelling in the left lane was doing the limit....and one of the drivers behind the slow driver became aggitated and decided to overtake in the left lane. Even if it was safe or unsafe to do so it could result in an accident. This situation wouldn't have risen if everyone was driving to the normal flow of traffic.
I mean lets face reality here....everyone has somewhere to go and something to do these days...and we want it to happen as quickly as possible. Otherwise we wouldn't upgrade our technology...its just a fact of the world we live in today. So from my observations on the road....not many drivers tolerate a slow driver in the right lane. I'm not talking about how we should be...im talking about how we are.
So yes...the copper in the right lane doing 33% less than the limit i would consider an obstruction (in my opinion...maybe not by definition) ....and while he may have every right to drive slow in the right lane....hey...move to the left....be a little courtious....and allow the drivers that are willing to do the limit do so.
Courtesy only in one direction, the courtesy others should exercise to let someone do the speed limit. Wheres the courtesy to accept others wont be driving at the limit? Its not a minimum speed, its a maximum speed only. Im well aware drivers are like that, including to some guy trying to turn.

Seems the attitude is "How dare other drivers try to enter a driveway, or the side streets, or look for a building when I wanna go straight ahead at the limit. When I want to turn, then you can turn."

With attitudes like that, no wonder they want to lower speed limits.
Old 26-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
Scott

Here's a poll on the matter:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=50133
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #26
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Courtesy only in one direction, the courtesy others should exercise to let someone do the speed limit. Wheres the courtesy to accept others wont be driving at the limit? Its not a minimum speed, its a maximum speed only. Im well aware drivers are like that, including to some guy trying to turn.

Seems the attitude is "How dare other drivers try to enter a driveway, or the side streets, or look for a building when I wanna go straight ahead at the limit. When I want to turn, then you can turn."

With attitudes like that, no wonder they want to lower speed limits.
I agree...courtesy should be shown to turning cars or cars looking for a particular building. But surely you understand the unwritten rule to keep left (actually it is a written rule in any 80kph or over zone or sign posted zone) if your not maintaining the speed limit. This copper was more than likely just cruising with his mind elsewhere...whereas he should have been doing it in the left hand lane if he wanted to cruise at 40kph.
Speed limits are generally determined by traffic flow and other factors(certain number of vehicles past a certain point per hour) While a two lane road can handle say 1000 cars per hour....it cant handle say 15000 cars per hour...otherwise it will bottle neck. So traffic flow contributes to speed limits. The speed limits arent really there to accomodate cranky drivers. They will still be cranky no matter what speed is sign posted.
Old 26-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #27
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
I agree...courtesy should be shown to turning cars or cars looking for a particular building. But surely you understand the unwritten rule to keep left (actually it is a written rule in any 80kph or over zone or sign posted zone) if your not maintaining the speed limit. This copper was more than likely just cruising with his mind elsewhere...whereas he should have been doing it in the left hand lane if he wanted to cruise at 40kph.
Speed limits are generally determined by traffic flow and other factors(certain number of vehicles past a certain point per hour) While a two lane road can handle say 1000 cars per hour....it cant handle say 15000 cars per hour...otherwise it will bottle neck. So traffic flow contributes to speed limits. The speed limits arent really there to accomodate cranky drivers. They will still be cranky no matter what speed is sign posted.
How do you know if someone is looking for their destination though? Im yet to be provided with my psychic abilities. The problem is people assume why that other driver is doing something, and sometimes get it wrong. When nothing happens its no biggie, but sometimes it results in an accident. Probably of more concern to people here though, is the perception in the average motorist, you know the one doing 45, is that people are impatient and if 20 under is such a concern, why would someone who is happy with 110 on a freeway want to confront people legally doing 160? To them it will only get worse, apparently drivers cant handle low differences in speed. Whats it going to be like when the difference could a lot more?

Sure I keep left, not just on roads with speed limits over 90 which are the ones I legally have to, I do so whenever I can. But I have also driven roads that are miles long, with many side streets to the right, and Ive thought I needed to turn right soon, but it ended up being a k or so further along. Ive also had to do that on single lane roads. But at least at some point, I probably wasnt doing 60. Sometimes its a road Ive never traveled, or one Ive not been down in a few years and its changed since the last time. Sat Nav makes that less of an issue, but they wernet always around, and not everyone has one, and they arent always that reliable anyway.

All Im saying is there are so many reasons a person may not drive the limit, or pass the car in front. The first car following the slower car could be going to turn off in the next whatever distance too, so they dont bother passing. I have no way of knowing why without asking them. It usually doesnt make me late, so I dont concern myself with it. If I can pass safely, I will. If Im not certain why but the reason MAY be serious, as in a cop car driving slow, I just patiently wait. If it turns out the copper was just looking for the local Maccas, ah well, no biggie. Thats life. What I dont do, is the asshattery that comes with frustration at something another motorist is doing, thus I dont draw attention to me passing them with some form of aggression. Thus, I dont pollute their mind when the idea of higher speed limits is raised.

How much do we want to poison the minds of the pool of voters?
Old 26-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
How much do we want to poison the minds of the pool of voters?
huh???

All we are talking about here is a few motorists cruising along behind a copper doing 20 kph under the limit. Is the copper turning...who knows...are the motorists turning...who knows...are either trying to find the local maccas....who knows. All we do know is that TEaaron is making an observation that several motorists are cruising behind a cop car and TEaaron has made an assumption that they are probably too scared to pass. Do I agree...well from the info given....I would say its a fair assumption by TEaaron since he regularly drives the road and says the traffic normally cruises at 60kph.

I have no idea how we got onto poisoning the minds of ppl.
Old 26-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

australians are the most law abiding motorists on the planet by far. If they see a police car they freak out, it goes to show that people are more driving nowadays to avoid a ticket than drive safe.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #30
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
huh???

All we are talking about here is a few motorists cruising along behind a copper doing 20 kph under the limit. Is the copper turning...who knows...are the motorists turning...who knows...are either trying to find the local maccas....who knows. All we do know is that TEaaron is making an observation that several motorists are cruising behind a cop car and TEaaron has made an assumption that they are probably too scared to pass. Do I agree...well from the info given....I would say its a fair assumption by TEaaron since he regularly drives the road and says the traffic normally cruises at 60kph.

I have no idea how we got onto poisoning the minds of ppl.
As I said, Ive done exactly that, not passed the cop car. Ive also passed them. Fear had nothing to do with it, but no matter what my reason it would all look the same to the OP. Maybe the car he was referring too had fear of some sort, maybe they think more like me. You cant know, you can only guess. So it cant possibly be knowledge of fear, it can only be a general attitude to people driving below the limit, and questioning that.

The rest, its about public perception of driver attitudes, and whether the voting public think there is an increased risk with a higher highway limit. Even incidents in carparks feed into that perception, its all about driving, let alone hitting the horn, swearing and giving someone the finger, or pulling out sharply and flooring it past to show your disgust. Not saying the OP did this, not many would to a copper, I wonder if he passes all motorists the same way?

Is that fear? Giving some motorists the finger, but not the copper? Or is it common sense and not wanting a fine or hassle?