Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
sheppy

Default Brake light issue

Hi guys,

My AU3 ute has an issue with its brake lights- they do not come on until I'm absolutely stomping on the pedal. I did have an aftermarket brake light switch in there so I changed it for a Ford one but still no dice. The springs in both of the switches seem to be quite hard.. anyone have any ideas?

Old 22-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i would put it to you that the switch has been incorrectly installed. perhaps you could go to the wreckers and compare?
There's only three things I've ever seen wrong with AU brakelights, blown bulb (one is blown and doesn't work in another car), fuse (all lights are out but bulbs work in another car/works when you use a known working fuse from another part of the car) and brake light switch (either works or doesn't, if it's coming on too late it's been put in wrongly or something else is bent/skewiff.)
imho.
Old 22-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
sheppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i would put it to you that the switch has been incorrectly installed. perhaps you could go to the wreckers and compare?
There's only three things I've ever seen wrong with AU brakelights, blown bulb (one is blown and doesn't work in another car), fuse (all lights are out but bulbs work in another car/works when you use a known working fuse from another part of the car) and brake light switch (either works or doesn't, if it's coming on too late it's been put in wrongly or something else is bent/skewiff.)
imho.
I think you're on the money there sir. Lights come on eventually so it won't be a dud fuse or globes, but I think something may be skewiff in the switch setup itself. Going to the mechanic's to take a look (my hands are way too big to get in there. I had to take the front seat out to even get a look!)
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
sheppy

Just a follow up to this, turns out I had a dud switch. In addition I have noticed that the aftermarket switches have a harder spring, I found that installing a genuine (working) switch solved the issue. The mechanic also said that the aftermarket switches tend not to last as long as the genuine article.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy
Just a follow up to this, turns out I had a dud switch. In addition I have noticed that the aftermarket switches have a harder spring, I found that installing a genuine (working) switch solved the issue. The mechanic also said that the aftermarket switches tend not to last as long as the genuine article.
Glad you got it sorted.

I had a similar issue with my wagon a few years ago. The switch was on it's way out and worked fine sometimes and others not.

New switch installed and voila!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy

Ive never been able to get an aftermarket switch to work at all in any of our AU's. I just buy genuine as Im sure it will work.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
KURS3D
KURS3D

On the subject of brake light switch's, funny story.
I had a switch sh#t itself at the start of a mountain run. auturbo6 was behind me the whole way up and had to watch the car to see if i was braking lol and can attest to this.
i DO NOT recommend doing this.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURS3D
On the subject of brake light switch's, funny story.
I had a switch sh#t itself at the start of a mountain run. auturbo6 was behind me the whole way up and had to watch the car to see if i was braking lol and can attest to this.
i DO NOT recommend doing this.

However driving ability by Kurs3d meant the use of brakes was minimal.

As for this issue: I also have had nothing but issues with non-genuine switches on AU, some work, some don't.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

tip for when your brake light switch goes next time: when braking, just flick on your parkers. better than nothing.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
KURS3D
KURS3D

it was night so the lights were on and going to fast and no moon to do it without lights
i thought about it
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
speedzter

How much are the genuine compared to aftermarket ?
I fixed my original one for a while by cleaning the contacts, but it's intermittent again !
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
sheppy

My genuine one was ~$40
Old 02-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #13
sheppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
tip for when your brake light switch goes next time: when braking, just flick on your parkers. better than nothing.
That's exactly what I did to get to the mechanics