Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

Default LR Focus problems - no power on hills...

Hey guys,

Got a problem with an LR Focus that seems to think it's a Rolls-Can'ardly.

It's been parked up for 3 weeks while my parents were on holidays, was running fine before they left and did a few short runs around town the day they got back without any dramas.
The problems started monday night when mum was heading down the west coast for work (7on-7off in a remote hospital). From what she has said on the phone she was about halfway when the car started "chugging" (surging) along the flats at 100 in 5th & 4th. Up the hills got so bad that she was back to 1st gear on some hills that usually the car will take in top gear.
From a standing start on flat ground, the car won't even move unless the revs are over 4,000rpm.

I was thinking that it might be a blocked cat as the exhaust had been rattling slightly recently, but apparently the temp gauge hasn't been rising anymore than normal and I thought this sort of strain from a blocked cat would cause overheating.

I'm going to head down there on the weekend to check it all out. Planning to take a new fuel filter, air filter, plugs & leads. Is there anything else that would be a good idea to take with me or to check on the car?

Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Mick

eMpTy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prob a tow truck as well due to the endless list of fault it may have

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Mick, I'd suspect a blocked cat as well........when mine went, it didn't show any temp increases
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Also check the MAF sensor. though unlikley it may have some dust or something arather on it. i know when it goes or starts to go...it just gets really difficult to drive.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

Cheers for the replies.
She's managed to get it into a mechanic tomorrow.
Old 24-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
eMpTy
Low, Loud & Black

Well, the mechanic got it going enough for her to make it back home.
The problem he found? Water & lots of it. Apparently when he pulled the leads off to check the plugs they were wet, all up there was nearly 400ml of water sitting down where the plugs are on all 4cyls. Couldn't find the source of it unfortunately.
Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem?
I had a look today and it's definitely water on the plugs, not coolant. Car was in a shed for 3wks without moving and hasn't been driven through any rain or puddles since so the source of the water has me absolutely stumped.
Old 25-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Oh right. I should have thought of this.

This happened to me when I had my LR except it wasn't as bad and there wasn't was much water.

The cause...... Umm... Someone being a little over zealous with the hose whilst cleaning the engine bay. : The seals on the leads aren't too crash hot.

If it's still not right pop your leads out and take to it with some WD40, don't forget the ends of the plug leads. Leave it to dry for a little bit then plug them back in.

You'd think it would evaporate but it doesn't.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post