Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the best value retaining ute?
XL auto 8 12.12%
XL manual 1 1.52%
XR6 auto 11 16.67%
XR6 manual 7 10.61%
XR6T auto 10 15.15%
XR6T manual 6 9.09%
XR8 auto 2 3.03%
XR8 manual 9 13.64%
Holden 6 auto 0 0%
Holden 6 manual 1 1.52%
Holden SS V8 auto 0 0%
Holden SS V8 manual 5 7.58%
Other (please detail) 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default So what is the ute to buy?

I am looking to buy a ute. The 50% scam is not all that important and I suspect there will be plenty of discounting in January

The ute is for work purposes as a transport and delivery vehicle as well as general driving.

It will be kept for 3 years and will do 50k-60k before being resold.
It will not be modified in ANY way, will never see a race track and will be driven on the odd dirt road by about 8 different people.
It will be style side and will have a canopy or at least a hard cover.

I do not give the slightest rats bum over 0-400m time and LPG is out as it will go too many places where LPG is not available (despite assurances by the enthusiasts)

My thought is resale value as some utes are more popular than others.
Turbos and V8s cannot be bought by P platers so if any of them want a ute they must buy a 6.
Most people seem not to be particularly comfortable with manual transmissions.

So what is the go, Holden/Falcon/Other, NA6, T6, V8, sporty or standard?

e.g. XL cost 30k, sell 20k = loss 10k; XR8 cost 50k, sell 35k = loss 15k

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bog stocker.. Cheap and easy to insure with multiple driver's + less likely to get thrashed like an XR8 would if you chucked me the key's.. hehe.. :
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I say go for the normal XR6 in manual, Earlier this year I was looking everywhere for manual BA XR6s and the cheapest ones in Victoria where starting from $17,500 privately with around 100,000km+ and no extra options. My cousin picked up his auto one for $11,000.

Also I went to about 15 car dealerships and I only came across one manual Falcon in "City Ford" and it was an F6 unfortunately.

Manual Falcons seem to have the best resale compared to the autos, though but if you want more chance of the P plater market, Commodore will be the way to go, at my school there is 2 Ford fans for every 30 Holden ones and it just seems my generation likes Holden more.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-12-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Surely if you are buying it for yourself you would have narrowed it down a bit? From an XL auto to an XR8 manual? Carting hay or just the Mrs?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Bog stocker.. Cheap and easy to insure with multiple driver's + less likely to get thrashed like an XR8 would if you chucked me the key's.. hehe.. :
Totally agree on your reasoning but i chose the xr6 purely for resale value over the base model.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Surely if you are buying it for yourself you would have narrowed it down a bit? From an XL auto to an XR8 manual? Carting hay or just the Mrs?
No it is for work. I will probably not drive it personally much at all. I currently own a Navara I have had for over 3 years and driven once, two VW bongo vans that I have never even sat in, an Avalon that I have driven about 4 times in 5 years. I only really drive the 350Z and the BA2 XT sedan.
I got rid of the Yaris and Hyundai as they were too small to fit stuff.

It will be for carting computer equipment mostly including racks, UPSs, big multifunction printers and lots of boxes.

Sedans have become a pain, the VWs are both in Sunny Coast and are used by the phone techs, the navara is a twincab so it does not have enough length in the tray.
The ute will live in Hervey Bay and service Gympie to Rocky west to Emerald down to Kingaroy.
Old 26-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

V8 utes usually have better resale values compared to 6's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XL auto or XR6 auto. If you could stretch it out, get a pov pack hilux, resale is a lot better in the toyotas.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best value retaining would have to be the XR's, XL's drop cash like theirs no tomorrow, after 3 years my XL ($30,500) on the road was worth $11,500 with 63,000km on the clock. I looked into this, the bigger outlay, the more value it holds, but only equal to the extra paid, for instance, B series XL's are around about $10,000 worth now, new were about 30,000, give or take, the XR turbos are selling second hand for around about the 19,000 mark, the F6 is worth around $25,000 - $30,000. This is from my personal experience ONLY. Just going on online sites (like carsales) and redbook (not industry standard i no) but it should give you a guide on the 'round about' figures.

For an everyday delivery - driver, I'd probably just go the XR6, The turbo's a little hectic and (as i found out on xmas day) even under light acceleration (80 zone to 100 light throttle only just coming on boost) the rear end was all over the place, Utes are obviously light in the bum, but that truely did frighten me.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

If you can get a cheap XR6, that would be my choice. They aren't a whole lot more than the base and they'll hold their value a bit better. Plus they are a more pleasant vehicle in general, if the ute is delivering to clients it will give a better impression as well.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

What about the R6 ?

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...ault&c=DFYPage
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

With what you are carrying I would go the Falcon Ute or 'R6', unless you are buying second hand then you could pick up an XL or are they still available? .... give someone at work an XR8 Manual with a load? Not wise. Bad enough people using my AU V8 ute at work. A Hyundai iload would be a good option for what you are describing to carry.

You have had a Navara 4x4 for 3 years? ... a few months ago you were asking what to buy in a 4x4 ..... bit off topic but just thought it a bit weird.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
+ 1
this wasn't on the list so i just clicked xr6 .
Resale will be bad for all the cars on the list . But going buy your description of what you need its the write rig.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #14
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i would think a Basic ute with the style side ! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE DRIVING IT ! so why give someone the benifit of having a xr6 ute or xr8 when it will just get thrashed buy other people driving it ! i wouldnt like some one else driving my xr6 or xr8 ute ! And go a auto then every one else can drive it ! not every one has a manual licence ! Dont get a white ute i find white cars dont hold their value ! there are my suggestions
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
i would think a Basic ute with the style side ! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE DRIVING IT ! so why give someone the benifit of having a xr6 ute or xr8 when it will just get thrashed buy other people driving it ! i wouldnt like some one else driving my xr6 or xr8 ute ! And go a auto then every one else can drive it ! not every one has a manual licence ! Dont get a white ute i find white cars dont hold their value ! there are my suggestions
People will still thrash it regardless if its an XL or an XR6.
Old 27-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #16
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

yes true ! but it is better to thrash a xl then a xr6
Old 27-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #17
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I never thought i'd say this, but given what it's going to be used for I will go Hilux 4x2. Not sure on exact resale value of these but I would assume it's greater than Ford or Holden utes and that is the only other reason Id dare say such a thing lol. I suppose my Ford-orientated choice would be XR6 auto. Only $32K brand new and have a better chance at selling time than the XL. IMO, id never buy a Hilux, but it's not for me lol.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

if your trading it in it would'nt matter really ! it would be a tax write-off any way ! it is is a bussiness you would want to get around a cheaply as possible ! if you put a dint in a xl it would really matter ! if you put a dint in a xr6 well some one might care ! in a big bussiness where you not going to be driving a car ! the xl would be the choice ! if you got a beautiful xr6 ute in Dash (green) e.g ! would you like some one put a dint in it on the first day ? if you got a dint in the xl on the first day would you really car proberly not ! carpet isnt a good thing for bussiness ! vinyl in better like they use in the basic utes ! yet again another opionion of mine

or go hilux ! who cares !
Old 27-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #19
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RTV, the FG version should be released soon shouldn't it??? Myself, I'm trying to pick up a 5.4L BA RTV at the moment. Has the ground clearence, locker, bash plates, I need to get around the paddocks and through the creek on my property. Still has good on road manners and fuel economy too. Main reason for the V8 is for the extra torque when towing my tractor around.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #20
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Proton Jumbuck

NOT
Old 27-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #21
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

If resale is a key factor, I don't see why purchasing used is not a primary consideration?

Pick yourself up a BF/II XR6. Taken a large chunk out of the depreciation for you already.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Proton Jumbuck

NOT
I laughed.
Old 27-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
With what you are carrying I would go the Falcon Ute or 'R6', unless you are buying second hand then you could pick up an XL or are they still available? .... give someone at work an XR8 Manual with a load? Not wise. Bad enough people using my AU V8 ute at work. A Hyundai iload would be a good option for what you are describing to carry.

You have had a Navara 4x4 for 3 years? ... a few months ago you were asking what to buy in a 4x4 ..... bit off topic but just thought it a bit weird.
The Navara is here, the new 4WD was for Sunny coast and ended up being a Hilux SR5 but I did not buy it. The driver wanted a SR5 (mega bling version) and nothing else and as it was too expensive we came to another arrangement. I was looking for a $40k 4WD and as I don't drive them I asked people who do rather than 4WD salesmen who all said their model was the best unsurprisingly.

I looked at the iload and the mitsu 300 when we got the VWs but utes seem to cost $zillions second hand so I thought of better resale. They also drive like cars rather than vans or trucks so they are a lot better on the highway and will cause me less grief from the drivers whinging.
I can also put my bikes in one if I need to

The R6 seems to be the current version of the XL so it would also be in the hunt.

The general plot here seems to be the XR6 auto which was actually the one I thought might be the best solution.

So it is a bit clearer. I run an IT and telephony company with offices in Hervey Bay, Maroochydore and Banyo. They are sort of independent but do occaisionally work together on jobs. The only cars that live here at the moment are Navara, 350Z & BA2. The ute, if it is bought, will live here.

The reason I am asking on here is that there are a lot of members who have bought new utes and then sold/traded them and there are lots of members who have bought secondhand utes many of whom have researched and made decissions on this before.

I may buy nothing at all. I am just working on an idea......

Last edited by flappist; 27-12-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 27-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #24
jason71
google is my friend

Are manuals still cheaper to buy new than auto's?

If so I would get a manual Xr6, because manuals seem to keep their resale price a bit better than auto's.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Proton Jumbuck
The workers would be so ****ed if they got that as the work ute lol
Old 27-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #26
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here a wildcard -get the Chinese one.Durable as. It's uncommon too (so far)- just don't crash it (easily avoidable). Besides, you'll be more inclined to treat it ways you wouldnt want to put a Falcon through....
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #27
FTRXR8

I hear Great Wall have some cheap and 'very' safe vehicles available.
Tint
USA Focus ST Carbon Fibre shifter
Mountune Symposer Delete
Blue ST Badging
FTRXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #28
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Without question the XR6 Turbo Auto.

resale will be strong as FG turbo's go like a cut cat but use little fuel when cruising. and are desireable as a used vehilce.

The P plate issue for resale is almost irrelvant how many P plater buy a 3 year old car any way (protons dont count)

I'd order the right options,18's (19's no good on dirt roads) Leather (its easy to maintain) mats bug deflectors.

and in a std colour. Black. silver, white, red (seduce) not a fashion lolly colour that will date it.

I had a hard cover on my BA ute and loved it. looked great. They can be a pain with odd sized loads eg. 2 pushbikes and you cant close the lid.

Good luck.

T
Old 27-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Personally i think if resale is a big factor, forget falcons and commodores. Look at a Ranger or Hilux. Resale in these is heaps better. If its gotta be something from the poll go the Ford. I detail traded cars for a living, everything from auctions and wholesalers right through to high end dealers. We see bucket loads of holdens compared to fords. Meaning there are more out there second hand. This includes the new VEs.
I would also forget the styleside and look for something with a tray. If its used for work let an unpainted tray take the beating. Another thing to think about is whether they have carpets or vinyl. Keeping the inside clean is a huge step in retaining its value. Personally id look at a supercab ranger in a prestige colour or the equivalent Hilux.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #30
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Personally id look at a supercab ranger in a prestige colour
Yes, the Ranger/BT50 is a pretty good ute. I had a drive in one (one of the tradesmen at work owns one) and it's comfortable and drives reasonably well (for a ute/truck).
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post