Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
EA Bogan

Default Hazard Perception Test...

I have had my P1s in SA for almost a year now and can soon do the Hazard Perception test to get rid of the stupid plates..im wondering if anyone knows what its all about. They tell me its in a driving simulator and that it is VERY hard to pass and completely illogical. I am a very experienced driver, i deliver pizzas with my EA 15+ hours a week and consider myself quite skilled, but im worried about this stupid test. My mate tells me they play videos of potential hazards and a man walking his dog on the footpath counts as a hazard and you have to slow down upon seeing the man with the dog..WTF..also where the hell could i practice the test so i know i can consistently pass it like the Learners test? Thanks..

EA Bogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The idea is to be a defensive driver, to see a potential problem, react appropriately, before it becomes one.

Right click and save the SA drivers' handbook, Pdf 2.2mb. The information you ask is inside it, and more:-

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...d_feb_2007.pdf

See the FAQ's re the SA Hazard Perception Test here, scroll down:-
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...n/gls/faqs.asp
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
falzoony
Rockin '67

There is nothing to worry about. Everyone is different, but I passed mine with ease. I was nervous at first but once you do the first practice questions you quickly gain confidence.
From what I can remember there are a few different scenarios. One is you are at an intersection and you want to turn right, and all you do is touch the screen when you think it is safe to do so. Another is you are approaching a bend and you have to touch the screen when you want to slow down. The only other one I can remember is you are driving down a backstreet and you see a car reversing out a driveway and again, touch the screen to slow down.
You see the same scenario a few time but some things change like traffic, weather etc. I think there are 15 scenario's in all, not sure though.
Good luck.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah i did the NSW one 2 years ago easy got 100%. Your mate is right it shows clips of guys on bikes and whatever and you touch the screen when you think you should slow down pretty easy really. Bit like on the road, when you would have your foot hovering around the brake padal when passing children/cyclists/ reversing cars whatever.

Theyre are a few trick ones at intersection which say touch the screen when safe to go- despite the fact the traffic light arrow is red- dont touch the screen do not go and you get it right

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
EA Bogan

well thanks guys, thats quite reassuring..it could be just me being worried, like with the Learners logbook final, i was sweating and annoyed when the test itself was easy..It seems the damn instructors are out to fail people to rake in the cash for themselves..theyre such hypocrites when they tell you to speed up when your doing 58-59 km/h then yell at you for "SPEEDING!!". Again, maybe its just bad personal experience.
EA Bogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

It cost me $105 to get my Greens in NSW. rort.
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Kryton

they give you a license for a whole year and then do a hazard perception test?
WTF!
is this safety at its finest or what?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
they give you a license for a whole year and then do a hazard perception test?
WTF!
is this safety at its finest or what?
To determine IF the candidate has improved over that time.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post