Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
timmo

Default Selling my ute...am I kidding myself??

As the title would suggest, I'm in the process of selling my AU3 XR8 ute and have been for the last two months. Thought I'd have a look at the prices listed on carsales/drive/etc and price mine accordingly (probably low with the features) and hope for the best.
So far the interest has been lukewarm, and it would be great if marine biologists and oceanographers needed utes because plenty of them have been willing to take it off my hands.
Is anyone else trying to sell an AU in this market and having similar responses?? Or if you've been able to sell your car now, can you give me some tips so it can go to a good home?
Thanks in advance guys,
Tim

timmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

when i sell, i sell at a realistic price, regardless of how much i don't like the idea.

selling cars = losing money, it's the way it is. I sell cheap, and sell quickly!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
DW260

I will always try for a good trade-in, much less hassle. I think these days people are more inclined to purchase from dealers; it offers a little more piece of mind.

Have you included a reason for selling in the advertisement?
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
timmo

I now have a Mitusbishi 380 (yay!) company car...haha
Old 16-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's hard because everyone want's to get top dollar, but realistically, it's a buyer's market.
If you have the time, put your top dollar on and wait, if you need to move it quickly then you will have to go the other way,
It all depend's on your personal situation.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
DW260

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo
I now have a Mitusbishi 380 (yay!) company car...haha
If that isn't in your advert' it may be worth mentioning. Can you afford to keep it, and live every red-blooded (or blue) boys dream of a play car and a work car?
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
timmo

yeah, I've thought about keeping it, but it's probably a little too cost prohibitive with rego, insurance and loan repayments too drive one day a week...
Old 16-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
speedzter

Cut your losses and put a more realistic $12-13k on it.
From my point of view 160k kms is getting a bit long in the tooth.
The prices on carsales etc' are usually unrealistic, and that's why they stay unsold for a long time.
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i payed 11 for my au2 xr8 ute with every option (except brakes) 114000km and to sell i would not expect more than 10. lots of utes are bought by tradies so gst credits are important too as is the 50% tax break so it makes private sales REAL hard at the moment
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
timmo

yeah, thinking I may drop the price. Thanks for the input
Old 18-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo
yeah, I've thought about keeping it, but it's probably a little too cost prohibitive with rego, insurance and loan repayments too drive one day a week...
Bah! Girl! ::hihi:

I drive my FG maybe twice a week - always on weekends. Company ute thru the week and the Accord Euro if we need to go to the shops etc.

I sold my old AU for $16k with just under 100,000kms, alloy heads + cam, full exhaust, lowered and god knows what else on it. Wasn't very nice after the money I spent on it but it got it sold in the timeframe I needed.
Old 19-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Also i think its the fact of people who own the lesser value or older vehicles that advertise their cars for higher and sometimes unrealistic prices that leave us with the newer or more valued cars to up our prices whether other people agree with or not. Ive been told im asking too much for mine but to be honest after seeing EB and ED's being adverised for $10k!! Makes me feel im asking not enough for what mine is lol but in the end there is no correct sale price, your gonna find bargains as well as you will find rip offs out there you just have to shop right. Good luck with the sale mate!
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

I was in the same boat when selling my ute, considering the amount of money thrown at it, I had it for 20k and 2 days later sold it for 21k due to an eager buyer in Townsville.
I only put it at that price because I really didn't want to sell and thought I'd put it in carsales for the hell of it and as luck turned out, sold the ute and bought a nice T1 TS50 with money left over. I guess it depends on what you have done to the ute and low k's definately helps.

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post