Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Cool Brake upgrade advice please

I am fast approaching the need for new rotors and thought I might upgrade the brakes instead. Its only money right . . hurmph.

What is the thinking out there on a good alround set up that is a bit better than the standard 278mm Fronts & 260mm Rears? (Brand, size, $ if possible)

Now, I have been on this site for a year or so now and I know the top end is what Velociraptor has done. But as much as I like them, 355mm/6 pot fronts and 330mm/4 pot rears ain't going to happen on my car. . . . $ to high for this little minkey!

Besides, I'd crap myself if ever I had to jump on them for fear of the wheels and chassis stopping and the body ripping itself off and sliding up the road Fred Flintstone style.

Anyho, if you have upgraded recently I'd be interested in hearing the good, bad and ugly of your stoppers.

Cheers

Fredo :

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

i think DZ has upgaded his to what i might call mid range of quality/price... sorry if ive offended. bBt i'll be looking to do exactly what he's done and it sounds like that what you might be after...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Although my ride is an LR I'm contemplating AP Racing brakes for the fronts in the future but if you wanted to stay with Factory have you looked at the ST/XR5 Factory brakes??

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Although my ride is an LR I'm contemplating AP Racing brakes for the fronts in the future but if you wanted to stay with Factory have you looked at the ST/XR5 Factory brakes??
Nah I haven't FE, and I probably should but I just made the assumption that there is better value for $ than 'factory offerings' out there. Bit closed minded now I think about it.

I'll look at the AP Racing stuff but for the average . . . er . . "advanced novice" its hard to go past the DBA gear isn't it?

Fredo

:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Default Taiwan Brake Kit

Seen these?

http://www.optionmotor.com/index.php...id=6&Itemid=90

Got quoted $1,200 + Freight for the 330mm/6 piston/Fronts.

Any comments?

Fredo

Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
mohit

I've never found the Focus brakes to be undersized but that's just me. Why not stay with the standard size but upgrade to better components such as slotted rotors, QFM HP-X pads and a set of braided steel brake lines.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
I've never found the Focus brakes to be undersized but that's just me. Why not stay with the standard size but upgrade to better components such as slotted rotors, QFM HP-X pads and a set of braided steel brake lines.

Cheers Mohit,
and that is the fall-back position I'll take Mate if it all gets to hard (read: expensive).

I do like the odd blast through the mountains and am a believer in "bigger is better" when it comes to brakes. (within reason of course).

Fredo

Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo

Cheers Mohit,
and that is the fall-back position I'll take Mate if it all gets to hard (read: expensive).

I do like the odd blast through the mountains and am a believer in "bigger is better" when it comes to brakes. (within reason of course).

Fredo
Haha yeh in the end it all comes down to the coin

Be interested to see if you find any cheap upgrade kits
Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

I looked at prices not long ago for my standard rotors (to replace with DBA Slotted), and from memory the (DBA) XR5 replacement was actually cheaper. Wasn't sure on fitment though, will have to contact DBA directly on that one.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 02-12-2009 at 04:21 PM.
#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
mohit

What about Mondeo brakes are they any bigger than Focus brakes and is the stud pattern the same?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I looked at prices not long ago for my standard rotors (to replace with DBA Slotted), and from memory the (DBA) XR5 replacement was actually cheaper. Wasn't sure on fitment though, will have to contact DBA directly on that one.
Cheers Russ,
Thats what I expected.
Fredo

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Now, I have been on this site for a year or so now and I know the top end is what Velociraptor has done. But as much as I like them, 355mm/6 pot fronts and 330mm/4 pot rears ain't going to happen on my car. . . . $ to high for this little minkey!
You can't put a price on safety....get the biggest ones you can find.... lol

I don't klnow about the quality of the products from this Yuh Lin mob, however you can't upgrade the front calipers to such a big size without doing the back as well, otherwise the brake balance would be stuffed. Then there is the problem with changing the rear calipers. That is becasue the handbrake "unusally" built in and as such changing them means removing the handbrake.

Most people on here seem to go for DBA rotors with Greenstuff pads. I have seen a brembo kit awhile back. $2500 for front slotted rotors (can't remeber the size, sorry). front 4pot calipers and brake lines & fluid
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Also don't forget the obvios fact that if you do upgrade the calipers, make sure your wheels will fit over them.

My wheels (Lenso Speed 6 18/8) are not available anymore and they are the ONLY ones which will fit over my brakes. (gotta remind myself to look after them)

Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpPUMP
i think DZ has upgaded his to what i might call mid range of quality/price... sorry if ive offended. bBt i'll be looking to do exactly what he's done and it sounds like that what you might be after...
No offence taken! The DBA/EBC combo is exactly that, a good mid-range upgrade - whilst neither product is designed for the track, they do give that extra confidence on the street, or blast through the mountains.

With a bit of shopping around, I was able to buy front and rear slotted rotors for less than what Ford quoted me for just factory fronts + pads. Unfortunately, the 'soft' front pads and rotors only lasted 33,000kms. I expect these brakes to last a lot longer..

A word of warning, at least in my experience, was that the EBC Greens are a much firmer pad and you really need to get them hot to bed them in properly. Without bedding them in be prepared for some loud brake squeals and groans!

Looking back, the only thing I would change is that EBC Greens on the rear might be a bit of an overkill and EBC blacks on the rear could still achieve the same goal of being a better, longer lasting pad.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
Also don't forget the obvios fact that if you do upgrade the calipers, make sure your wheels will fit over them.

My wheels (Lenso Speed 6 18/8) are not available anymore and they are the ONLY ones which will fit over my brakes. (gotta remind myself to look after them)

Thanks Velo - Good stuff mate.
Agreed, bigger is better!

I landed a set of Zetec 17s for not many $ that I'll paint black (dark grey car) so I reckon I'll be doing the DBA thing like DZFord.

Cheers

Fredo

Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
No offence taken! The DBA/EBC combo is exactly that, a good mid-range upgrade - whilst neither product is designed for the track, they do give that extra confidence on the street, or blast through the mountains.

With a bit of shopping around, I was able to buy front and rear slotted rotors for less than what Ford quoted me for just factory fronts + pads. Unfortunately, the 'soft' front pads and rotors only lasted 33,000kms. I expect these brakes to last a lot longer..

A word of warning, at least in my experience, was that the EBC Greens are a much firmer pad and you really need to get them hot to bed them in properly. Without bedding them in be prepared for some loud brake squeals and groans!

Looking back, the only thing I would change is that EBC Greens on the rear might be a bit of an overkill and EBC blacks on the rear could still achieve the same goal of being a better, longer lasting pad.
Thanks DZFord . . . got your PM too Mate.
Reckon thats what I'll end up doing.

Fredo

Old 04-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
BlackLS
yum

2L Euro LS's onward have 300mm fronts - may want to suss out some wreckers in the UK. Id tend to go for XR5 all round, otherwise if you think of going aftermarket, only do the fronts, and go XR5 rears - otherwise you may not find rear calipers with the handbrake capabilities.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
2L Euro LS's onward have 300mm fronts - may want to suss out some wreckers in the UK. Id tend to go for XR5 all round, otherwise if you think of going aftermarket, only do the fronts, and go XR5 rears - otherwise you may not find rear calipers with the handbrake capabilities.

What calipers/pads do the xr5's have compared to the standard focus?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
BlackLS
yum

XRs are 320/280
Other aust Focus 278/265
I forget where I found the details of the UK 2.0L so I may not be right on that one.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #20
alky89

i read u wanted bigger brakes for your mountain runs? if thats the case then i really wouldnt spend big bucks on a big brake kit. if u can find reasonably priced 2nd hand xr5 items or the like then by all means go for it. but unless ur doing heavy track work i dont think u'll see the benefit of getting bigger brakes compared to a simple rotor/pad upgrade. unless ur drastically increasing power or doing serious track days, u simply wont be building up enough heat to justify huge brakes. i have some high performance pads with stock rotors on my car and i only see slight fade after a good 6-7 laps. even then its just a slight increase in stopping distance. and i guarantee they are getting punished much harder than on a mountain run.

dont get me wrong, a big brake upgrade would be excellent and you will feel the difference but the benefits most likely wont outweigh the cost compared to a pad/rotor upgrade.

also i've heard slotted rotors are next to useless on a street car. they just chew through pads quicker. apparently they are of some benefit on the track though.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alky89
also i've heard slotted rotors are next to useless on a street car. they just chew through pads quicker. apparently they are of some benefit on the track though.
Since slotted rotors have more 'bite' than normal rotors, you would expect that this is the case.

However, DBA claims that its slotted rotors does not increase pad wear and may increase the life of the rotors. This is because the slots have a micro-shaving effect on the pads, which creates more even pad wear. This leads to better contact area between the pads and the rotors. The slots also help to expel gases created by braking, leading to lower braking temperatures and more effective contact.

On the other hand, DBA Street Series slotted rotors are definitely not for track work.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #22
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Whether they'll work for the LS Focus, I'm not sure, but check out the brake packages at:

http://www.batinc.net/main.htm

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...s.pl?record=18

Bat inc in particular have some great value for money options
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Cheers Boys,
All good stuff as usual.

XR5 brakes sounds interesting, particularly with regard the handbrake issue.

This might be dumb but . . . no issue with the XR5 brakes fitting in Zetec 17 wheels?

Oh! By the way, just got the 2.25" cat back fitted with a single muffler.
Windows down, raido off . . . fun fun fun.
Got a feeling I'll be putting in a resonator sometime soon though . . Hey! I'm old okay! :

Fredo

Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #24
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Got a feeling I'll be putting in a resonator sometime soon though . . Hey! I'm old okay! :

Fredo
old enough to know why one should try to avoid getting the attension of the boys in blue eh??? lol

The wheels on the XR5's are 18". having seen the size of the calipers inside those wheels, i'm pretty sure they will fit inside 17". But i'm sure there is someone out there who can confirm??

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Oh geez . . I said OLD no Smart . . . hehe.
Hey , do ya reckon if I drop in a resonator that the note out the back will deepen a bit?
On the way to work this morning, I just thought it might sound a bit . . . ricey . . maybe I'm just listening to hard.

Ta Mate. :togo:

Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Have you heard the car from the outside i.e. got someone else to drive by? I haven't as yet but from inside my exhaust set-up sounds ok imho. OE Exhaust came with three mufflers or are they resonators? and my new system has only two.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Have you heard the car from the outside i.e. got someone else to drive by? I haven't as yet but from inside my exhaust set-up sounds ok imho. OE Exhaust came with three mufflers or are they resonators? and my new system has only two.
No I haven't Ed and I will now that you mention it.
The standard system had one long resonator and a single muffler I think so, yeah, I think I am under-resonated.
Fredo