Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Arrow Buying cars in the USA...

Just one month to go before I return to the States, and more and more I see American cars all over the place... Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne got more 1960's Mustangs than I've ever seen in the NYC area... (granted we get far fewer warmer months for cruising) So I'm wondering who are these cars imported through?

I've met a few people that claimed they've gone to the US to find a car they wanted to import but I can't imagine everyone doing it. Could be a nice hobby to get involved in when I go back to check out and possibly assist in Aussies getting American cars shipped this way.

I realize putting this idea out in the open will probably generate a lot of negative responses and probably shut down any chance of actually doing something, but am curious to see what people suggest.

--Russ :

Old 27-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
I realize putting this idea out in the open will probably generate a lot of negative responses and probably shut down any chance of actually doing something, but am curious to see what people suggest.
I don't see any problems, firms already do it for Japanese cars, the only issue is that you would need to find a workshop (either in the US or in Australia) to convert the cars to RHD, so you can incorporate all the costs of compliance into the one bill.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I'm pretty sure that 1960's LHD cars can stay that way for Aussie roads.

As to who imports them? There are several companies on ebay that offer "pick up there and drop off here" service.

Having said that, you being there will greatly help if you are thinking to do this for a bit of extra cash.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres a few places around,

Just be carful and make sure its a GOOD car some of stuff goes on the international market becasue the locals have seen that its nackerd

I know of many cars that onece they arrived the owenr has had to spend truck loads on the car to get it suitable to drive

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

from what I've seen here, people in Australia find cars on ebay, but take a chance buying a cat in a bag.

I used to work for a company in the US that regularly bought cars for clients in Europe, without handling any money transactions at all (the buyer and seller dealt directly) my boss only went to check the car out on the buyer's behalf, took pix and videos... and then when the car was purchased me and him would go pick it up and drop it off at the port to be put in a container.

simple enough
Old 28-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I Inquired some back to import a Drag [of road] Mustang ..
It would have cost me $3200 freight..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/today.php
A few importers on this forum Shermatt has a real good rep converting to Rhd should be done here as different states have different rules as to lhd driving and compliance
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

In Victoria if the car is 30 years or older it can be driven as LHD on our roads legally.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

I'm sure there are people that do this for a living in the US... but with my travel experience and the ability to travel on a budget, it might be more cost effective for those seeking a good deal on an import.

I wouldn't worry about RHD conversions as it generally should be the responsibility of the buyer... similarly I wouldn't want to be a middle-man with the seller either, don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong with the car.

I could be useful in providing an independent opinion on the condition of the car to the buyer and transporting it to the nearest port to be put in a container for shipping... which again can be arranged directly by the buyer since most sellers don't want to be bothered with paperwork and the inconvenience.
JerseyVics is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Grab a copy of 'Unique Cars' magazine theres at least 1/2 dozen that advertise in there
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother is importing 2 cars from Texas as we speak. He searched and searched various collections/garages and private sales. Had a few tested and reports submitted before finally settling on a Shelby and a Mach 1. He spent many hours talking to prospective sellers on the phone at midnight here and to the examiner.

He's pretty much arranging everything himself but it would be handy to have a local contact I suppose in the States. bear in mind if you arrange it you've gotta come up with the goods and deal with shipping companies, tax, damage etc.
Old 30-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

with the value of OZ/US dollar nearly 1 to 1, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to come, and not just to ship cars over either.
JerseyVics is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Grab a copy of 'Unique Cars' magazine theres at least 1/2 dozen that advertise in there
too many people treat it like a business

I'd be happy to help out for FREE, just have the interested party cover my expenses

a lot of people helped me in Australia, and continue to do so, so its the least I can do
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Be aware they are not cash for clunker cars where they are filled with
sodium silicate and run till they cease..
Like this poor G.T Mustang..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvkLrVXBIk
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post