Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
greens_tuf

Default Weird things you have come across when buying(looking for) a car...

Hey guys,

I'm sure there are alot of funny and weird things you have come across when buying a car, I thought we could share some stories and get a few laughs going...

I'll start with a story of an AU3 XR8, Manual, Meteorite, 75,000K's full Tickford package car that I went out to see (private sale). From the pics this car looked awesome... The guy was a middle aged driver, the car was tidy, he started it up and it sounded tough. I was sold within 10 seconds...

My mate calls me over to the front right guard, the gap from top to bottom was out by around 10mm, wtf, look at the other side and it was the same... Ok we took a look in the boot, the spare wheel was a stocker, I thought that all Tickfords came out with an alloy spare but anyway, there was surface rust and rub marks from where the boot lid was rubbing when it was closed.

Ok not good... Look inside at the dash, it doesn't even have a Tickford dash, now that is seriously *ed up. It has a forte dash or something from a Series 1 AU. Then we look in the engine bay, it has an AU3 XR8 engine and correct plates but the engine bay is flat black, not meteorite.

By this stage I was spooked and said to the bloke it was a nice car but I'll have to think about it...

I think it was an original AU3 XR8 involved in a front and rear-ender and someone did a cut and shut job on it and sold it at the auctions (thats where the owner bought it from).

Now that I look closer at engine bays, I notice that more and more modern Fords have black engine bays, this is a question for another discussion but why is this?

Anyway lets hear what other weird stuff is out there lol...

greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Ibrox90
Banned

I apologise in advance

Bought my XR8 recently.

In my hunt for a new car I was looking at XR6T, XR8 and SV6 and SS.

While looking at an XR6T (private sale) I checked my usual stuff whiel the oldman inspected the engine bay.

I was looking for rust, checking the exhaust for burning oil and the spare tyre tread.

lifted the liner and the board and tucked down the side of the spare was a rather large sex toy (and by rather large I mean HUGE)

The owners reaction "uuuhhh thats not mine I swear"

EDIT: More detail for the giggles

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038

Last edited by Ibrox90; 11-08-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Kryton

to save money on the production line.
youd be hard pressed to find any AU with a factory painted engine bay.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
I apologise in advance

Bought my XR8 recently.

In my hunt for a new car I was looking at XR6T, XR8 and SV6 and SS.

While looking at an XR6T (private sale) I checked my usual stuff whiel the oldman inspected the engine bay.

I was looking for rust, checking the exhaust for burning oil and the spare tyre tread.

lifted the liner and the board and tucked down the side of the spare was a rather large sex toy (and by rather large I mean HUGE)
Thats GOLD
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
FORCED F6
VIC The Place to Boost

I just want to add this as it was hilarious for me and the boys;

It was about juts over a year ago when I was looking for a XR6 Turbo, seriously the cheapest one out there just so I can rip it all out and start a project car with a mate (intentions were to build a drag car strictly). Anyways this car was from QLD and called the guy up and we had agreed to $15k ( 04 model XR6T, had red stitching, sat nav, sunroof, AND 275,000kms).

When I was about to transfer the money he tells me to hold off as he sells it to some guy as he had offered him $17k and its sold... 2 days later, im sitting down have a coffee at my usual place and see this car drive past me in front of my eyes at 7pm, same plates and everything...

2 weeks later, I see it on carsales with the exact same photos as advertised from QLD but of course its the new owner advertising it and its only got 60,000km...

Wow, couldnt help myself so had to do the right thing and reported it asap, hate to see someone get burnt... But it was rather funny.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
to save money on the production line.
youd be hard pressed to find any AU with a factory painted engine bay.

Nope - my AUXR8 has a nice red engine bay :
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

only real thing was the salesman talking me into N/A falcons and not turbos..
"extractors and a pod on an N/A falcon and you'll smoke a turbo mate!"
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Nope - my AUXR8 has a nice red engine bay :
Same for me, It's B-Series you are less likely to find a painted bay, although some AU's got black
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
gocruzin
Ford tragic

with all au-bf falcons, solid color cars got painted engine bays. metallic cars got flat black. with the only exeption being gloss black cars they had flat black underhood
Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Same for me, It's B-Series you are less likely to find a painted bay, although some AU's got black
Sorry mate but my BA has a nice white engine bay to go with the outside.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocruzin
with all au-bf falcons, solid color cars got painted engine bays. metallic cars got flat black. with the only exeption being gloss black cars they had flat black underhood
My metallic BF has a painted engine bay too.
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens_tuf
Hey guys,

I'm sure there are alot of funny and weird things you have come across when buying a car, I thought we could share some stories and get a few laughs going...

I'll start with a story of an AU3 XR8, Manual, Meteorite, 75,000K's full Tickford package car that I went out to see (private sale). From the pics this car looked awesome... The guy was a middle aged driver, the car was tidy, he started it up and it sounded tough. I was sold within 10 seconds...

My mate calls me over to the front right guard, the gap from top to bottom was out by around 10mm, wtf, look at the other side and it was the same... Ok we took a look in the boot, the spare wheel was a stocker, I thought that all Tickfords came out with an alloy spare but anyway, there was surface rust and rub marks from where the boot lid was rubbing when it was closed.

Ok not good... Look inside at the dash, it doesn't even have a Tickford dash, now that is seriously *ed up. It has a forte dash or something from a Series 1 AU. Then we look in the engine bay, it has an AU3 XR8 engine and correct plates but the engine bay is flat black, not meteorite.

By this stage I was spooked and said to the bloke it was a nice car but I'll have to think about it...

I think it was an original AU3 XR8 involved in a front and rear-ender and someone did a cut and shut job on it and sold it at the auctions (thats where the owner bought it from).

Now that I look closer at engine bays, I notice that more and more modern Fords have black engine bays, this is a question for another discussion but why is this?

Anyway lets hear what other weird stuff is out there lol...
Mine didn't come with an alloy spare and it also has a flat black engine bay. I believe it depends on which day of the week as to what color your engine bay is.

Monday to Wednesday - Body Colour
Thursday - Flat black
Friday - All the colours of the rainbow.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Mine didn't come with an alloy spare and it also has a flat black engine bay. I believe it depends on which day of the week as to what color your engine bay is.

Monday to Wednesday - Body Colour
Thursday - Flat black
Friday - All the colours of the rainbow.
Yours actually did come from factory with the toy in the spare well though didnt it?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
big-e
In the jungle

That was an extra box you had to tick.
---->T2 TS50 (#42) Venom<---- T2 TS50 factory manual :
big-e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

None of the Later AU's had spare alloys standard, and most were matt black under the bonnet.

As for the cluster its probably an ex highway patrol with pursuit dash.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDterri
Sorry mate but my BA has a nice white engine bay to go with the outside.
White is a solid color cob my cobra has a white engine bay too

GT Cobra:My metallic BF has a painted engine bay too.

Is that metallic silver by any chance?
My Conquer bf ute has a black bay much to my disgust
Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Not something that I found while looking for a car... but I wish I was looking at the time. My Dad had a wealthy school friend who was married to a bank manager (or stock broker or something). This bloke cheated on her and moved in with his new woman in Londan. All the usual court stuff regarding divorces and it was decided that he would get like a third or half the estate, but he wanted and got the car, a Black M something BMW (sorry cant remember the details as it was a few years ago now).

Anyway, it turned out that he couldn't store the car or ship it to Britan or anything. So he asked his now Ex wife to sell the car and send him the money.

Apparently she sold it for either $5000 or $500 (think it was the latter) and sent him the money as asked. He didnt like it much... and took her to court. It got thrown out of court, but some lucky bugger scored an almost new BMW M... for almost nothing!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
gocruzin
Ford tragic

I never get those type of deals :(
Old 11-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
I never get those type of deals :(
if were offered a bmw m5 for $500 are you saying you would take it, id be suss

WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR ENGINE BAY, BACK ON TOPIC

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #20
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

My XR6 (Oct 05 build) has a silver engine bay, and my old AUII futura (Sept 01 build) had a blue engine bay, both were the same colour as the exterior. Also the Futura came with an alloy spare (and it was an EX gov't car, so i doubt they would of spent the cash on something that isn't a necessity)
Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #21
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
I remember we had an AU Fairmont in amaretto (metallic gold) that had a nice painted engine bay. My FG has sparkly blue on the outside, but matt dull blue under the hood. Territory has a white engine bay. Never seen a Falcon/Terri with a black engine bay before.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #22
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Not something that I found while looking for a car... but I wish I was looking at the time. My Dad had a wealthy school friend who was married to a bank manager (or stock broker or something). This bloke cheated on her and moved in with his new woman in Londan. All the usual court stuff regarding divorces and it was decided that he would get like a third or half the estate, but he wanted and got the car, a Black M something BMW (sorry cant remember the details as it was a few years ago now).

Anyway, it turned out that he couldn't store the car or ship it to Britan or anything. So he asked his now Ex wife to sell the car and send him the money.

Apparently she sold it for either $5000 or $500 (think it was the latter) and sent him the money as asked. He didnt like it much... and took her to court. It got thrown out of court, but some lucky bugger scored an almost new BMW M... for almost nothing!
I think this is an urban myth, I remember being told about it in the 80's. I also think that the courts would decide that the wife had done the wrong thing and cheated him out of money.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

enough with the engine bays - someone already said the Au's got black - BA^ got painted. MORE FUNNY STORIES!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Many years back looking at a V8 XD.........asked they guy if it really had a LSD so he said yeah I will show ya and proceeded to do donuts on his front grass.

Highly amusing, but not really a good selling point for his general treatment of cars!

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #25
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its the best way of letting you make sure its an LSD :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looked at a hj kingswood in about 1988 was black with a very poor body blue cloth with beige vinyl combination interior trim hx kingswood dash painted black with a paintbrush rectangular xc headlights . 253 trimatic the salesman said it was a beast the fastest car in town it would beat any 351, 308 or 350 in town it had been built by a drug runner to out run the police on the highway. The more we looked the worse it got they wanted $10000 you could get a decent car for that in those days .Told me how if I brought it I would be the envy of everyone and no one would be able to beat me . I asked why did the bloke sell it he says he got caught for running drugs and is in jail I said cant be that fast if an standard xd 250 can catch it then walked of laughing .
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking for a crappy paddockbasher a few years back for some meadow motorkhana, found a beaten up datto 200B in some blokes front yard with for sale painted down the front fender, bloke wanted $200. Asked him to fire it up, sure enough it ran fairly well, then proceeded to catch fire right there and then. Saved me $200...........and cost that guy his front lawn.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #28
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carsales ad for a r33 skyline... the word ' ' was used to describe the turbo setup... pass.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #29
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

we were looking at a VS acclaim, the ad said it had a RWC, redone interior, CD stacker, good tyres, good paint, clean car

boy were we wrong.

* rust on the boot and around windscreen
* the interior was painted silver and blue, paint missing everywhere
* the CD stacker was on a plank of wood duct taped to the centre console lid

we laughed at it and just told him its not our type of car. was too afraid to look under the bonnet
Old 11-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #30
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Mate of mine was looking for a bit of a runaround car for about the $2k mark,found this Laser at a used car yard.

Inside the office of the guy when we went in with him to get the keys, I instantly thought of the offices of the 70's, like in Life On Mars. Brown wooden desks with drawers built in, no computer, full ashtray on the desk with a still burning ciggy hanging out, and piles of folders everywhere. He then proceeds to tell us that the car should have plenty of fuel and to take it for a test run.

I jumped in the passenger seat, my mate drove, and we noticed that the radio wouldn't work, it wanted a security code, the speedo wasn't working at all, permanently on 0km/h, and that the red low fuel light was on because the thing was damn near empty. So my mate goes "yeah I don't think I'll buy this thing".

We get it back, where my mate politely starts telling the guy at the yard that the radio needs a code ("Oh yeah I knew the previous owners they were devout Christians and didn't want their kids listening to any music"), that the fuel was low ("nah can't be I only got it in the other day and it had heaps, hasn't been driven since") and that the speedo wasn't working - to which he got the most classic response....but before I tell you that, I thought these were fairly reasonable things to be saying to the guy selling the car, after all he is operating a used car dealership and should probably want to sell half decent cars? Well after my mate told him about the radio, the fuel and the speedo, without thinking the guy has just turned and said:

"you're better off buying a brand new car, because I obviously can't satisfy you with a used one."

Needless to say we both just turned and walked out without a word and still laugh about that guy's customer service skills to this day.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post