Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Default semi slicks for drag racing. worth it?

hey all,

i've scored a pair of 16 inch steel ba rims for drag racing. (thanks fox270 : )

now im looking for a pair of tyres to run at WSID. im looking at semi slicks as i won't be racing every week and im on a budget.

are semi slicks such as dunlop direzza's or kumho ku36 in 225/45 x 16's suitable for drag racing (im also running my street fronts which are maxxis ma-z1) or am i better off getting some drag slicks.

i have been running street tyres (maxxis mav1) on 17's but get too much wheelspin and a real crappy 2.2 60ft.

also where (apart from rocket) can i get the above tyres from in sydney?

cheers for any help for a newbie in advance.

SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan b
hey all,

i've scored a pair of 16 inch steel ba rims for drag racing. (thanks fox270 : )

now im looking for a pair of tyres to run at WSID. im looking at semi slicks as i won't be racing every week and im on a budget.

are semi slicks such as dunlop direzza's or kumho ku36 in 225/45 x 16's suitable for drag racing (im also running my street fronts which are maxxis ma-z1) or am i better off getting some drag slicks.

i have been running street tyres (maxxis mav1) on 17's but get too much wheelspin and a real crappy 2.2 60ft.

also where (apart from rocket) can i get the above tyres from in sydney?

cheers for any help for a newbie in advance.
Better off getting your self some MT streets 255/60/16, the best tyre for the strip, before going full slicks.
Street tyres have a silicon compound and become slimy when they get hot, if you use a circuit tyre, they are good but have stiff side walls where the MT streets have a soft side wall and have alot more give when putting the power down, more friendly on the driveline and easier to get them to hook up and proberly find they will be cheaper than and good circuit or street tyre, also can drive to and from the track, and should get a good 50-60 passes out of them depending how happy you are with your burnouts.
I've managed 1.7 60's with them at WSID in a manual.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just put 275 MT ET Street Radials on my BA and while they still don't hook up they are a heap better than the Hankooks they replaced.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Better off getting your self some MT streets 255/60/16, the best tyre for the strip, before going full slicks.
Street tyres have a silicon compound and become slimy when they get hot, if you use a circuit tyre, they are good but have stiff side walls where the MT streets have a soft side wall and have alot more give when putting the power down, more friendly on the driveline and easier to get them to hook up and proberly find they will be cheaper than and good circuit or street tyre, also can drive to and from the track, and should get a good 50-60 passes out of them depending how happy you are with your burnouts.
I've managed 1.7 60's with them at WSID in a manual.
Words of wisdom here ^^^^^

My times dropped 0.28s in the 60' and 0.52 in the 1320' with a change from R888 Toyo to ET Street II's

I would reinforce what Wade said above, the semi-slicks are too stiff in the wall for a decent launch.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
BLOWNXR8UTE
345rwkw BLOWN XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
I've just put 275 MT ET Street Radials on my BA and while they still don't hook up they are a heap better than the Hankooks they replaced.
Dont hook up? how much power you running? and what track?
BLOWNXR8UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post