Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Surprise around the corner! Stupidly Dangerous!!

Was driving in NSW the other day in the mountains, 100zone, very quiet nice 2 lane double lined cornery road frequented by flying empty logging trucks and slow full ones, guard rails on one side, cliff wall on the other. No room to move off the lanes, well maybe a foot between the road and the cliff wall, and the same for the guard rail.

Anyway I'm coming round a corner quickish (100ish) but certainly not what you would say flying, when stopped in the middle of my lane was a landcruiser ute, in front of that was a broken down car. Underneath was someone fixing something, and in between both cars was standing a little 5ish year old girl! Couldnt believe the danger the parent put that little girl in having her in between 2 cars on a blind bend where b double logging semis belt around at 100+km/h! If you hit the back of that ute at just 20, you'd pin that girl and run over the bloke underneath.

I had to hit the brakes pretty hard myself with the car squirming to a stop beautifully. There is Absolutely NO WAY a truck or someone daydreaming would be able to stop in that distance. Couldnt believe there wasnt someone up the road waving drivers to slow down.

Anyway, dont put yourself and especally others in those situations, you're asking for trouble if you asked me.
And when driving keep your eyes peeled, you just never know whats going to pop up! Also a golden rule is to make sure you can stop in the distance that you can see.

I actually used to practice that down the GOR with my brother. I would be driving, possibly pretty much hooking along and get him to say/yell STOP when he saw something random ahead like a post/rock/paper etc and I would try to stop and he would tell me if I stopped in time. Its really good fun and great to practice as long as no ones behind you.

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a surprise around a corner once. Came around a corner which goes downhill and there was a cop who had his car parked across the road and he was standing in the middle of my lane! There was an accident ahead an he was turning people around.

You barely had time to react because it was just after the corner. I'm surprised he didn't get cleaned up as most cars with average brakes would be pushing it to stop in time.

Had he stopped a bit more down the road there would be no problems, anyways the headlights got a work out of the way back to say the least! :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post