Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Q Police New Ford Pursuit Vehicles

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...43-952,00.html

The video on the new police vehicles is 3/4s of the way down on the right hand side. Ignore Audi A8 crash story.

Old 23-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
cheyne666
FORCE FED FORDS

I wanna be a cop so I can thrash round in one of those all day.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

And I thought is was going to be Persuit utes :
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I don't know how extra bright police cars are going to scare people into driving safe - there just won't be enough of them in rotation. I think they should be broadening their range of undercover vehicles then heavily advertising the fact that any Camry, Accord, Falcon, Commodore, Aurion, Mazda6 etc could be an undercover waiting for you. There's a known undercover Camry in my area and I know alot of people who are now suspicious of all late model silver Camrys - which are pretty much everywhere. Broaden this to Mazdas, Accords, Aurions etc and you will have alot of paranoid people out there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I don't know how extra bright police cars are going to scare people into driving safe - there just won't be enough of them in rotation. I think they should be broadening their range of undercover vehicles then heavily advertising the fact that any Camry, Accord, Falcon, Commodore, Aurion, Mazda6 etc could be an undercover waiting for you. There's a known undercover Camry in my area and I know alot of people now who are suspicious of all late model silver Camrys - which are pretty much everywhere. Broaden this to Mazdas, Accords, Aurions etc and you will have alot of paranoid people out there.
Well that depends of whether you want to slow traffic down to save lives or make money from speeding fines doesn't it?

The idea that "any car could be a police car" does not work simply because people have short memories and can only concentrate on a couple of things at once.

If lots of hidden things worked as a deterrent then Victoria would have no income from speed cameras would it.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well that depends of whether you want to slow traffic down to save lives or make money from speeding fines doesn't it?

The idea that "any car could be a police car" does not work simply because people have short memories and can only concentrate on a couple of things at once.

If lots of hidden things worked as a deterrent then Victoria would have no income from speed cameras would it.......
I assume Victoria has the same deal as NSW where the speed camera locations are advertised by signs 100m or so before the camera. Or are they truely hidden over there? I think the biggest problem with alot of government safe driving initiatives is that they are designed to take revenue and not slow people down. If the Victorian speed cameras truely are hidden, then placing them in black spots won't help because people don't know they are there so they won't slow down. When you advertise the location, such as in the M5 tunnel Sydney, EVERYONE goes the limit. There is a certain percentage of the population (read: young males) that I think will react to a campaign based around more undercover police in a more diverse range of cars. I've seen it in practice myself in my own area - nearly every bloke I know knows about the undercover camry running around busting people and are cautious of Camrys in the area, myself included.
Old 23-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

How about that A8?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I assume Victoria has the same deal as NSW where the speed camera locations are advertised by signs 100m or so before the camera. Or are they truely hidden over there? I think the biggest problem with alot of government safe driving initiatives is that they are designed to take revenue and not slow people down. If the Victorian speed cameras truely are hidden, then placing them in black spots won't help because people don't know they are there so they won't slow down. When you advertise the location, such as in the M5 tunnel Sydney, EVERYONE goes the limit. There is a certain percentage of the population (read: young males) that I think will react to a campaign based around more undercover police in a more diverse range of cars. I've seen it in practice myself in my own area - nearly every bloke I know knows about the undercover camry running around busting people and are cautious of Camrys in the area, myself included.
we here in vic are not as lucky as you guys in NSW

we dont have the pleasure of a sign telling us there is a camera ahead

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

that FG looked nice lol

nicer than the ones i saw in darwin!
Old 23-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
NEEDspeed

Anyone else notice their use of FOG lights on an otherwise clear day? Me being Joe Citizen would be fined for such an unsafe practice...

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So therefore a bright red very bloody obvious HP car will have more on an effect reminding people that police are about than an undercover vehicle that can only book one at a time and otherwise has no effect at all.....
Old 23-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL
Indeed. Seems great for raising revenue, not so much for making people do the speed limit in problem areas :(

Quote:
So therefore a bright red very bloody obvious HP car will have more on an effect reminding people that police are about than an undercover vehicle that can only book one at a time and otherwise has no effect at all.....
As I said a few posts ago "there just won't be enough of them in rotation". It's just an ordinary police car who's bright colours give oncoming motorists an extra few seconds to realise it's there and slow down, then speed up again once they pass it, I see it happen all the time. Police cars that are dead easy to spot... I bet the boy racers are cheering.
Old 23-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Indeed. Seems great for raising revenue, not so much for making people do the speed limit in problem areas :(

As I said a few posts ago "there just won't be enough of them in rotation". It's just an ordinary police car who's bright colours give oncoming motorists an extra few seconds to realise it's there and slow down, then speed up again once they pass it, I see it happen all the time. Police cars that are dead easy to spot... I bet the boy racers are cheering.
You were not aware of what happens in Vic and you seem to have very little idea of what happens in QLD, our mobile radars have got you before or as you see them.

Maybe you should get out of Sydney a bit more......
Old 24-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDspeed
Anyone else notice their use of FOG lights on an otherwise clear day? Me being Joe Citizen would be fined for such an unsafe practice...
Police here often have foggies on, it is not illegal in QLD.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Errmm ummmm im not sure about that one old mate!! My belief is its illegal Australia-wide now...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
You were not aware of what happens in Vic and you seem to have very little idea of what happens in QLD, our mobile radars have got you before or as you see them.

Maybe you should get out of Sydney a bit more......
Woah slow down there. Of course I wasn't aware of Victoria's system, hence I asked the question of whether they were in fact hidden or not. It's irrelevant anyway, I certainly don't need fantastic knowledge in Victoria's speed camera system in order to have an opinion about QLD's application of high visibility police cars. Simple point is, I don't agree with it and I've seen first hand how an alternative (in my case, being one single undercover Toyota in a whole suburb) can scare people into safer driving. No need to whip out Victoria's speed camera handbook.

And I'm fully aware of what happens in QLD, I am down there regularly. As with Vic it seems, they are all about revenue when it comes to cameras.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
It's illegal in NSW and a white undercover SS Commodore pulled me over the other night with his foggies on in clear weather! I've copped an $81 fine for fog lights not too long ago too! Smart though, since I didn't suspect he was a copper due to the foggies.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

Jason
Neither do we much of the time , they plant it after you are past normally and hidden behind a tree bush or in the shad edge on .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yea it is , $45.00 fine but there are two rule sets
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 03:14 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

Jason
If there's a sign then its on the side were there are no cameras to catch ya.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

That’s a horrid crash.

Those FG's do look pretty good!

My frustration though with the story (off topic for a second) is that if they were clocked at 166km/h why wasn't the media going nuts about "hooning"? Or is it because it was an upper-class Audi, and no one who drives an Audi (or any other prestige make) could ever be classed as a hoon?! Maybe hooning just for Australian cars or Ricers. :

I do hope the 2 who were seriously injured pull through, and condolences to the family who lost where daughter/wife/partner.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #22
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
That’s a horrid crash.

Those FG's do look pretty good!

My frustration though with the story (off topic for a second) is that if they were clocked at 166km/h why wasn't the media going nuts about "hooning"? Or is it because it was an upper-class Audi, and no one who drives an Audi (or any other prestige make) could ever be classed as a hoon?! Maybe hooning just for Australian cars or Ricers. :

I do hope the 2 who were seriously injured pull through, and condolences to the family who lost where daughter/wife/partner.
The cops were probably still trying to catch up before this happened. I don't know much about what happened so am only speculating.

Being an Audi does not make him invisible to the plod...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #23
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I meant the media, not the police.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...43-952,00.html

The video on the new police vehicles is 3/4s of the way down on the right hand side. Ignore Audi A8 crash story.
I cant see it Arrrrrrrrrg!!!

Add the direct link plz

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

I also heard the QLD Police are gonna get a few unmarked Chrysler 300C's, so keep your eyes out for them boys and girls!! :
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
I cant see it Arrrrrrrrrg!!!

Add the direct link plz
no direct link,,but others can see it..?
Old 24-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I don't know how extra bright police cars are going to scare people into driving safe - there just won't be enough of them in rotation.
Um... Three eight hour shfts, Three HP plods makes 24hr coverage in my book.

Quote:
I think they should be broadening their range of undercover vehicles then heavily advertising the fact that any Camry, Accord, Falcon, Commodore, Aurion, Mazda6 etc could be an undercover waiting for you.
Undercover cars have been advertised by the RTA and Plod for at least 15 years.

Quote:
There's a known undercover Camry in my area and I know alot of people who are now suspicious of all late model silver Camrys - which are pretty much everywhere. Broaden this to Mazdas, Accords, Aurions etc and you will have alot of paranoid people out there.
I'll bet the Camry didn't stay there much more than a month, they do move them around you know.

Sorry but undercover cars have NEVER worked !...well it works in raising cash for the state govt concerned, but not for slowing people down.
I think I've covered more K's than you and I can assure that high visibility Police cars is the ONLY thing that works.
Old 24-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #28
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Mango Hill cops in Qld have a maroon Subaru liberty unmarked car getting around. Surprisingly easy to spot( Once it has its hidden lights lit up chasing the guy who just went past you 30 over!)
Has a yellow hard hat on the parcel shelf.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #29
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Um... Three eight hour shfts, Three HP plods makes 24hr coverage in my book.

Undercover cars have been advertised by the RTA and Plod for at least 15 years.

I'll bet the Camry didn't stay there much more than a month, they do move them around you know.

Sorry but undercover cars have NEVER worked !...well it works in raising cash for the state govt concerned, but not for slowing people down.
I think I've covered more K's than you and I can assure that high visibility Police cars is the ONLY thing that works.
Camry has been here for 6 months. I'm sure the RTA has advertised undercover cars, but I've never seen anything so it hasn't been done on the scale that I was suggesting. They need not even increase the amount of undercover cars they already have, just campaign that they are everywhere. Again, I'm just going off personal experience and if one single Camry can scare so many blokes in one suburb, a campaign would be bound to scare more. It probably depends on the area though.. my area is above average in boganism.

Regarding high visibility police cars, I guess we'll see if they work in the long run. I think the current crop of cruisers are pretty highly visible as it is, but we'll see.
Old 24-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Camry has been here for 6 months. I'm sure the RTA has advertised undercover cars, but I've never seen anything so it hasn't been done on the scale that I was suggesting. They need not even increase the amount of undercover cars they already have, just campaign that they are everywhere. Again, I'm just going off personal experience and if one single Camry can scare so many blokes in one suburb, a campaign would be bound to scare more. It probably depends on the area though.. my area is above average in boganism.
You may have seen it over the last 6 months, but you can bet that it hasn't been the constantly for that time. They get moved from station to station.

Quote:
Regarding high visibility police cars, I guess we'll see if they work in the long run. I think the current crop of cruisers are pretty highly visible as it is, but we'll see.
By Hi viz I meant regular marked cars. Either HP or GD. Almost anyone on any highway -not quite so much in the city- that sees a marked car backs off.