Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Considering newer car, but my eyes are straying from Ford....HELP!

OK,

Getting married in August, hope to start a family next year, so looking into a decent newer car (must be wagon). Initially I was looking at a BF Futura wagon. However, I am sorry to have to say, they are boring. Really would like higher performance and luxury (prefer leather), hard to get in a wagon.

So I was straying a bit, shock horror I was thinking of looking at some VY/VZ Berlina 5.7 wagons, or even a VY Adventra LX8. Please don't ban me.

I then discovered the Nissan Stagea 2001 ARX (newer shape). They are a tad smaller, but thought I'd check one out so drove one today. It did not live up to my expectations. Yes, it absolutely flys, but EVENTUALLY. Initial throttle response is pathetic, it needs to get up a bit before it kicks in and takes off. Very disappointing. I did read a post here somewhere where one person mentioned this poor throttle response, and they are right. Not sure if this is a design thing of the turbo or what. Also, the whistle of I assume the turbo sucking air??? would annoy the hell out of me (not to mention the wife would not be happy). They are not as comfy even with full leather as I would have expected, the seats felt a bit cramped, and overall, for $18K to $21K odd just not worthy. Advantage is most of these Stagea imports have low k's compared to our Falcons and Commodores and have all the bells and whistles you could want (this one even had reverse camera)

I haven't driven the Holdens yet, and this isn't the place to discuss it for obvious reasons, but the Adventra seem pretty cosy and high spec, but reviews I've read haven't been great in regards to reliability and warranty issues when they were new. Doesn't give great confidence in getting a used one.

I thought of a Territory, but not a big fan of the '4WD style' of vehicle (I do realise they aren't all 4WD), plus they are still a bit more $$ than I'd like to spend for a luxury model.

The last options is maybe getting back to finding a well priced BF Futura wagon and doing some mods - track down some leather front seats to suit off ebay (hoping Fairmont or someone fits), maybe get the back seat retrimmed to match, and some moderate mechanical mods - cam, intake, diff gears. Problem with the seat idea is often the door trim/pillars don't match and it may end up a drawn out and expensive interior replacement.

Any suggestions? Alternatives?

What else is there in wagons with a tad of luxury?

I'm going to have to spend more than I'd like, so lets say very maximum upper budget $18K with any mods, as long as the mods are going to give half decent gains (more suburban driving, stop start, keen on throttle response and take off rather than top speed).

Thanks.

Old 27-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If it were me (V8 boy) if go the V8 VZ Berlina wagon
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Volvo V70- Pretty sure they do a 5cyl turbo
Citreon C5- Not exactly a rocketship though
Mazda 6- Nice machine, especially in Manual Diesel
Mitsubishi Magna/Verada wagon
VW Passat V6- They are quite a few cheap ones of these around

Not exactly performance machines, but go the luxury. Mazda 6 is probably the pick

Otherwise you could check out the other import wagons, like the Mitsubishi Legnum VR4. They are a quick jigger 2.5 TT V6 AWD.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Go the Berlina Wagon
Old 27-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
DTFRMONT

What about a Liberty wagon or an Outback?
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, a few suggestions there.

Not keen on parts prices for things like the Volvo, Citroen, VW etc.
Verada wagon, I don't mind them, but aren't they getting on a bit now?
Thought about the Subarus, just not a fan overall for some reason, but might take a closer look.

Yes, I looked at the Legnum, but they are considerably smaller than the Ford/Holden and even smaller than the Stagea, which is as small as I'd go. Any smaller I wouldn't bother, I'd just make life easier and buy a BA Fairlaine/Fairmont.

Surprised at a few mentions of the V8 VY Berlina. That would in fact be everything I want, but its a holden. I don't actually go into this Ford Vs Holden rubbish, but my VR berlina years ago did leave a sour taste in my mouth (comfy, hell yes, reliable - don't even ask, and it was only 3 yrs old at the time). If I can be assured they've improved, I might drive a couple and see.
Old 27-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

How about get the ford wagon and translpant Fairlane seats, doorskins, carpets etc into it. Better still just go for the Fairlane and be done with it. I've got a Fairlane and a Futura wagon and short of trecking across the country where the wagon space is needed for luggage, pram, porta-cot,etc, the Fairlane has enough boot space to carry a decent pram and the weekly shopping and more plus you have the extra leg room so the kids aren't constantly kicking the back of your seat while in their booster seats and trust me, by the time they're 2 1/2 they'll be able to do that unless you're a shortar$e and have your seat way forward in the wagon. Just remember to fit good waterproof seat covers over the back seat cos, trust me, they WILL get covered in crap. Think sticky fingers, dropped bottles, spilt sipper cups and poppers, food scraps, crumbs etc, you name it, the seat will wear it at some point. Don't say you won't be letting them eat or drink back there cos you'll end up giving them anything you got on hand to feed and water them just to shut them up. Mine are nearly 3 and 5 and the back seat of the missus' wagon is a certified disaster area. In my Fairlane I have big thick seat covers and those big deep rubber 4x4 floor mats in the back to minimise the fallout........ oh, and here's a tip, get yourself a portable DVD player you can strap to the headrest or bolt to the roof for trips longer than 45 minutes, preferably one with IR headphones. They won't wear them for a while but once you can train them to put them on your trips will get a whole lot easier and less stressful, lol.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
How about get the ford wagon and translpant Fairlane seats, doorskins, carpets etc into it. Better still just go for the Fairlane and be done with it. I've got a Fairlane and a Futura wagon and short of trecking across the country where the wagon space is needed for luggage, pram, porta-cot,etc, the Fairlane has enough boot space to carry a decent pram and the weekly shopping and more plus you have the extra leg room so the kids aren't constantly kicking the back of your seat while in their booster seats and trust me, by the time they're 2 1/2 they'll be able to do that unless you're a shortar$e and have your seat way forward in the wagon. Just remember to fit good waterproof seat covers over the back seat cos, trust me, they WILL get covered in crap. Think sticky fingers, dropped bottles, spilt sipper cups and poppers, food scraps, crumbs etc, you name it, the seat will wear it at some point. Don't say you won't be letting them eat or drink back there cos you'll end up giving them anything you got on hand to feed and water them just to shut them up. Mine are nearly 3 and 5 and the back seat of the missus' wagon is a certified disaster area. In my Fairlane I have big thick seat covers and those big deep rubber 4x4 floor mats in the back to minimise the fallout........ oh, and here's a tip, get yourself a portable DVD player you can strap to the headrest or bolt to the roof for trips longer than 45 minutes, preferably one with IR headphones. They won't wear them for a while but once you can train them to put them on your trips will get a whole lot easier and less stressful, lol.

Bushbasher
Wiser words were never spoken. (I got a 20 month old and a 5 yr old)
Old 28-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Priorities change when starting a family, our BA wagon fits the bill perfectly, especially with two large dogs, a cargo barrier is the only thing between the little ones and a dose of Turner and Hooch type Mastiff ectoplasm all over them.

As pointed out by Bushbasher family transport cops a fair hiding, not just the interior but the exterior when the children open the doors onto garage brick walls !

I'd suggest buying a cheap BA and having another car for fun if the budget allows.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Priorities change when starting a family, our BA wagon fits the bill perfectly, especially with two large dogs, a cargo barrier is the only thing between the little ones and a dose of Turner and Hooch type Mastiff ectoplasm all over them.

As pointed out by Bushbasher family transport cops a fair hiding, not just the interior but the exterior when the children open the doors onto garage brick walls !

I'd suggest buying a cheap BA and having another car for fun if the budget allows.
or buy a cheap BA and turbo charge it?
Old 28-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Priorities change when starting a family, our BA wagon fits the bill perfectly.

Yep, I guess they do, but on the other hand, when we take the plunge and have a kid, we probably won't be in a position to buy a newer car for a while after that, hence wanting something good and newer before this happens.

Same goes for not being able to afford a second car for fun!
Old 28-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshvee
or buy a cheap BA and turbo charge it?
I've got another thread going which comes down to turbo lag on a Stagea wagon I was looking at - will turbo charging a BA/BF then take some away from the bottom end acceleration it hard prior to the turbo being added?

I did read a bit about adding a turbo to an i6 however it also seemed to add up to a few $$ with the added suggested fuel/ECU/computer upgrades.
Old 28-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
I've got another thread going which comes down to turbo lag on a Stagea wagon I was looking at - will turbo charging a BA/BF then take some away from the bottom end acceleration it hard prior to the turbo being added?

I did read a bit about adding a turbo to an i6 however it also seemed to add up to a few $$ with the added suggested fuel/ECU/computer upgrades.
Not worth the hassle, everyone who asks about retro fitting an turbo to an N/A sedan soon realises it's cheaper to buy one factory. As far as wagons go, you would be better off with the Holden V8, it's engineered for the power it has.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not worth the hassle, everyone who asks about retro fitting an turbo to an N/A sedan soon realises it's cheaper to buy one factory. As far as wagons go, you would be better off with the Holden V8, it's engineered for the power it has.
Thats what I was thinking. Seems a lot of stuffing around for what will still end up a Futura. But I don't want to have to hang out on forums with holden people.
Old 28-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconboy
Thats what I was thinking. Seems a lot of stuffing around for what will still end up a Futura. But I don't want to have to hang out on forums with holden people.
If thats all ur worried about, you shouldn't be. Get the car that best suits your situation. Don't NOT buy a car coz your forum buddies won't like it, thats just stupid. It's not your fault that Ford dont have a wagon that suits you. Get the V8 holden wagon and be happy with it. Contrary to what some fanatics may say, Holden do make nice cars. Your 1 bad experience with a previous holden does not mean they're all bad. Hell, my FG FPV F6 is having problems. Does that mean all Fords suck??? well ok yes it does : HAHAHA just kidding.

Get the Holden if thats what suits ur needs. There are plenty of holden owners in this forum. We will still talk to you.
Old 28-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #16
GeoNazi
Banned

The missus wants holden sports wagon, she thinks they are a nice looking car and I have to say I agree with that.. I am a ford man from like birth and she is a ford girl from birth.

The current range of ford made cars are lacking in my opinion.
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Why do people think when they get married or have kids they need a station wagon ??
A car will only be a start of your expenses.. Trust me..
The bigger the car the more you'll fill it up..
Have you considered you may have a two car family ??
Then yes a poverty pack station wagon.. Imo I would forget about leather!!
Till you own that furniture etc in your house...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #18
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNazi
The missus wants holden sports wagon, she thinks they are a nice looking car and I have to say I agree with that.. I am a ford man from like birth and she is a ford girl from birth.
I have to agree those new clubsport wagons are VERY nice.

But back to the topic........

There are plenty of guys on here who own holdens, hyundais, mazda, mitsubishi etc. We'll let you speak (sometimes lol) :

But seriously like mentioned above don't buy everyone elses car buy what suits YOU best and if it happens to be a holden well so be it.

I personally would ask why your insisting on a wagon especially considering the size of the boots in all new cars these days unless of course you got dogs who go everywhere with you....??

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #19
Snelens
tryhard

We had the same issue.
The boss wanted leather seats etc & I wanted something that was a bit nicer to drive & could safely carry a dog. When you have a cattle dog leaving them at home is not an option as they are like owning a 2nd shadow.
We test drove a few commonwhores & even put down a deposit on one. Nice white & clean VZ, went and got a Vic roads check & turned out to be a repaired write off, didnt look at another commonwhore....
We ended up in a 01 SAAB 9-5 Aero, they are VERY safe, great to drive, quick, understated, reasonable economy, about the same room as a commonwhore & suprisingly cheap servcing at a specialist. They need religous servicing though but dont be fooled into thinking they are expensive to own as they are a GM car with lots of crossover parts eg front brake rotors on the standard 9-5s are the same as a Holden Vectra, oil filters are the same as a Toyota camry.
So far we have fitted a full bilstein kit, exhaust & ECU chip from the UK (same price as a local Ford chip), its now got about 220KW and is perfect for eating up freeway k's. There are heaps of web sites just like this one to do your research and also specialist web parts suppliers where you can research parts prices. I have ordered parts from the US & UK & have had them here in 4 days.
Jumping out of my FG ute & back into the Aero is always very nice to do & I look forward to the drive.
Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #20
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I personally would ask why your insisting on a wagon especially considering the size of the boots in all new cars these days unless of course you got dogs who go everywhere with you....??
Even with the boot size in new cars, the wagon beats em all if you need to put a pram or 2 in them and a few bags (suitcases). I find that although I can fit it all in the F6, (ok not 2 prams) it's just easier in a wagon. Thats why im keeping my old EF wagon.
Old 28-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #21
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We could not afford a wagon when we first started out with our kids ( a while back now ), so we had to make do with what we had, a Datsun 120 Y, so we used to make them run behind the car, if one got to tired we would let them jump in the back seat for a small spell. little buggers were fit in no time.

As for cars / wagons I think it is very rare that you would need all of the space of the wagon where you would have everything loaded up and in many ways your probably looking at the 100 / 1 trip that would probably never happen and with that a good normal family sedan will suffice so the mention of the fairlane was a good one and with many things like folding jogger prams , even cots and the like the real need for a wagon is probably not there.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hold on, I'm kidding, I'm not really that scared of going to the dark side.

As for the needing a wagon thing, I more need a wagon for work than as a 'family' vehicle, I've had several wagons before but am 'in between' cars at the moment and driving the wifes Honda Civic hatch. Not quite the ongoing family vehicle.

Might have to drive a few VY/VZ Berlinas and see what I think.
Old 28-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you wait for the Mondeo Wagon, or is new car out of the question?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
Can you wait for the Mondeo Wagon, or is new car out of the question?
I like the Mondeos, but yeah, too many $$ for us.
Old 28-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #25
rootster

why a wagon..i own a fg sedan have two young kids and find there is plenty of room in the boot....We go away for weeks fit 3/4 large suit cases fishing rods and all the bits we need when were away...Really the question is how often are you really going to need the extra space....Imo if you are going to need it regularly buy a holden...
rootster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

In all seriousness, if it were me, Id be looking for a second hand VE wagon. Im a Ford man through and through, but for a wagon, and the cheapness of the VE range at the moment, it would be hard to look past.
Old 28-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #27
jasjul

I didn't see budget anywhere, but if you could afford a new or 2nd hand VE sportwagon, they are a big step up from the VY/VZ. In saying that, a mate of mine who wanted a V8 wagon has got a V8 VX Berlina wagon and is very happy with it, even though he is a Ford man.

On a side note, there was also an SS wagon a couple of times over that model period as well.
Old 28-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Start saving, the new FG SVI Egas wagon due next year. Space, economy, power etc. I have been through what you are going through and agree with Bushbasher. I bought the higher end Magna at the time and was always worried about the interior as it eventually turned to doo doo. Your kids and the missus when shes trying to keep them from screaming their heads off really don't give a rats botty about your precious leather seats. Take a look around the local Coles carpark at the interior of the cars with baby seats in them. Save yourself some money and get the fancy nancy car for when they are a bit older, about 20 . Nowadays even the basics are whatever the high spec cars of yesteryear had. The Aero was a bit out of left field but worth a look as Snelens suggested. Have fun. :
Old 28-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Have a mate who has a VE wagon and says there is no room in the back and should have just gone for a sedan in the end. If you are looking for a station wagon because of the capacity to carry tall or lots of stuff, the VE could be a dissappointent once you try and actually use it. The Falcon sedan with the rear access through seats is also a huge advantage over almost everything else out there.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
Molloy
Captain beat down

Nissan Stagea 2001 ARX FTW ;)

Molloy's Build thread
Molloy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post