Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Default Changing brake fluid

Im changing the pads and I also want to flush the brake fluid. But I am not entirely sure where the bleeder valve is. Is this the one in the photo with the hose coming from it?

Also is the correct method of changing the brake fluid...

1. Remove all fluid from master cylinder.
2. Refill with new fluid.
3. Push down brake pedal and hold
4. Undo bleeder valve and let fluid run then tighten valve
5. Release pedal.
6. Repeat a few more times until clean fluid comes out

Cheers

GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The bleeder is the bit above the hose. Looks like 10mm.
Usually you would use a small bottle with a hose in the top of it that can go on the end of the bleeder nipple.

You dont have to keep closing the valve every time you relase the brake pedal. You can open the valve and pump through about 10 times then close the valve.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

The bleeder nipple(valve) is the one above the hose line.
1.Get a plastic hose to go over nipple.A snug fit..
2 Get a container with a small amount o brake fluid in it.
3.Put hose in container with fluid covering end of hose.
4.Get a mate to sit in car,you or someone else under car with access to nipple with a ring spanner to fit nipple.
5. Open fluid reservoir,check fluid level is at indicated fill level.
6.Get mate to pump brakes to build up pressure.
7.You.. release nipple,fluid should squirt into container,make sure the end of hose is covered by fluid in container.
8.Do this until fluid comes out with new stuff..Checking reservoir level on each fluid release..
9.Close nipple.
10.Continue with the other 3 brakes
Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

How much fluid is required? A couple of litres?

Last edited by GT88; 06-06-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Brake Bleeding
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=49

Hope this helps. Sorry about the pics being on a bike, but it was the best I could do at the time.

I might be up for a pad change and re-bleed later in the year, so if that's the case, I'll do this again with car pics.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

if you want to do a proper flush drain entire system of fluid and replace with metho.do as you would when you normally bleed the brakes at each corner.watch the stuff(colour that comes out).i normally do this twice at each corner,drain system of metho.use a cheap dot 4 fluid and flush the lines clear of any residue until it flows clear brake fluid,drain the rest of that stuff.then you put your good quality fluid in and bleed the system.now you have no air and basically brand new lines inside.make sure all gunk in bottom of master cylinder is flushed away.seems OTT but i see it the same principle as a engine or radiator flush.cheers.

gilmore
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
1. Remove all fluid from master cylinder.
No unless you want to then have to remove and bleed the master cylinder. Bleed at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder topping up the master cylinder as you go until you get clean new fluid at the wheel cylinder and have all new fluid in the master cylinder. Then bleed each other wheel cylinder until you get clean new fluid at each wheel.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
GT88
BA Mk2 Fairmont

Thanks for the tips guys.

I changed the rear pads today and the lhf still had a bit of life left in it but i was unable to remove the bolts on the rhf caliper. They just refused to come loose. I tried anti-clockwise but it was not moving at all. I didnt want to try too hard just in case i buggered the bolt.

Any ideas on how I can get the bolt off? Would applying wd40 help?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ring ended spanner and a hammer. if you can try a 6 sided spanner, not the 12 or whatever they are multifit ones, a 6 sider will get better contact with the bolt. that should sort it out, good luck
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post