Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Air France Flight missing over the Atlantic

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...00-401,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by News.com.au
AT least 228 people are believed dead after a catastrophic failure on board an Air France plane over the Atlantic Ocean.

Anxious families gathering at airports in Paris and Brazil have been told any hope of survival is slim.

The Airbus A330 overnight service from Rio de Janeiro to Paris suffered multiple technical failures before crashing into the Atlantic, the airline's chief executive said today.

"A succession of a dozen technical messages" sent by the aircraft around 2.15am GMT (10:15pm AEST) showed that "several electrical systems had broken down" which caused a "totally unprecedented situation in the plane," said Pierre-Henry Gourgeon said.

"It is probable that it was shortly after these messages that the impact in the Atlantic came."

Mr Gourgeon said that military planes had narrowed down their search area to a zone of a few dozen nautical miles half-way between Brazil and west Africa. Three Brazilian navy ships are on their way to assist in the search.

Relatives of those on board the flight raced to Rio de Janeiro's airport, numb with shock and disbelief at the certain tragedy that had befallen their loved ones.

Bernado, one of the first to arrive at the city's airport, had despair edging into his voice as he explained his brother and sister-in-law where on the missing Airbus.

"I called Air France right away, and they told me they didn't have information. That's why I decided to come to the airport," he said, declining to give his last name.

Vasti Ester van Sluijs, said she had jumped into a taxi as soon as she heard her daughter's flight - had disappeared from the radar over the Atlantic Ocean.

"My daughter Adriana Francesca was on the plane," she said, shocked.

Her daughter had been on her way to Paris for a connecting flight to Seoul, for business, she said.

In Paris distraught relatives were ushered into a cordoned-off area of the main terminal at Rio at Charles de Gaulle airport, expecting the worse after officials said flight AF447 appeared to have had an electrical failure.

Uniformed teams from Air France and the airport manning the desk refused to say how they had broken news to the relatives.

At a refreshment stand in the arrivals hall, waitresses said they had served a couple in tears.

Shortly afterwards, two young women, their eyes swollen with weeping, brushed away questions by reporters, one of them saying: "Now is not the time."

France's minister in charge of transport, Jean-Louis Borloo, said there was a "real pessimism at this hour'' about the fate of the aircraft.

"We can fear the worst," he said on Europe-1 radio.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy expressed his "extreme worry'' and went to Charles de Gaulle to meet relatives awaiting news of their loved ones. "We have no exact idea what happened. It's a catastrophe the likes of which Air France has never seen," he said.

"We have come to meet the families who are extremely dignified and courageous. Everyone can well imagine what a mother who lost her daughter, a fiancee who lost her future husband, are thinking.

"I told them the truth, which is that the prospects of finding any survivors are very slim."

Airbus said the A330 has a good safety record, with no fatalities ever on a commercial flight. One did crash in 1994 during a test flight in southern France, however, killing seven people on board.

In October last year a computer glitch caused a Qantas A330 to climb before nose diving over Western Australia injuring dozens of passengers.

In November 2007 six people were injured in a "depressurisation incident" during the test flight of an Airbus A330 to be delivered to Air Mauritius.
May god be with all souls on board. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a tragedy for all involved.
RIP all on the flight.
Quote:
"I told them the truth, which is that the prospects of finding any survivors are very slim."
It's good to see they are being honest about it and not sugar coating it as you would expect.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

I cant' believe it can just fall out of the sky. It's a sad day for aviation.
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

I'm shocked by this being an Aviation Nut myself and being an AVID fan of Air crash Investigations.

I travelled on an A330 to Thailand earlier this year, and the plane was grounded for technical difficulty for a good 6 hours, and the takeoff and flight was a little hairy back to Australia so ever since I've been somewhat inquisitive of A330's history since its introduction in the mid 90's.

I'm at a loss here to understand how such a modern Airliner (It was inducted into Air France fleet in 2005), inexplicably goes down whilst at cruising altitude.

They have radar systems to avoid storms, and are built to withstand turbulence AND lightning strikes. Two Lufthansa Flights flew through the same area before and after the A330 Disappeared. I'm absolutely at a loss as to how or why this has happened to such a new modern aircraft with no commercial fatalities to date. Tragic.

This is a photo of the Airbus A330 Involved. It was relatively new, F-GZCP is its registration number. My sympathies go out to all involved. Lets hope they find its location asap, and get the investigation underway so as to find the cause of this terrible inexplicable tragedy.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

How tragic! I didnt even hear about this till now. Thanks for posting RG.

R.I.P those onboard. My thoughts are with the families waiting for news. Sad day indeed :(
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Very sad day indeed.

RIP to all those on the flight.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thats horrible news. I feel for the families who had loved ones on that flight

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
May god be with all souls on board. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims.
Hear, here.

I honestly felt sick about it this morning. I suppose we can only hope that it was all over quickly as horrible as even that sounds. I can't imagine what the families are going through.

Air travel is probably still much safer statistically than car travel. But even then I had a sick feeling when I read the article about the innocent passenger killed in a 200SX when T-boned by a stolen taxi in Sydney this morning. Just regular people going about their lives. A horrible news day.

That's intersting about your experiences Danny. I have 4 flights on A330's lined up in the next 2 months. Have flown a few times before and no issues though.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Goes to show you that we cant always rely on computers

RIP to all on board
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
aye you
The Origional, The Best

for a modern airliner to suddenly disappear, without any contact from the flight crew leads me to believe a sudden structural failure on the airframe. Sadly it will be many years before the cause of this accident is discovered.

RIP to all those on board. My heart goes out to the family of those missing.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
for a modern airliner to suddenly disappear, without any contact from the flight crew leads me to believe a sudden structural failure of the airframe.
Most likely correct, an in flight breakup at this stage is a very real possibility, the plane sent an automatic distress signal indicating electrical malfunction and also cabin depressirisation.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I had not an ounce of sleep last night after reading about this on the net.

A good French friend of mine, who I lived with for a year in Sydney up until a few years ago is an air hostess with Air France. I just saw her a few months ago when she returned to Sydney for a visit.

She told me all about her job, and remembering that she mentioned she had been to Rio de Janeiro several times. She is based in Paris.

After sending a post to her on FB as well a sms (phone off...) she finally got back to me this morning saying she was not on that flight thank God.

I feel for the people that lost loved ones. What I went through in one night they will endure for a very long time to come.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
old_mate
Smash the Boost

never a big fan of fly by wire with little redundancy, will be interesting to see the outcome

RIP to all

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #14
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

was just on the abc news that a brazilian search plane has just spotted some debry floating in the ocean. mainly seats.

a terribly thing to happen and would be devistating for friends and famillys.

atleast if they have found the general area now they can concentrate the search a bit more and hopefully recover the black box so that they know what happened.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
never a big fan of fly by wire with little redundancy, will be interesting to see the outcome

RIP to all
This may be true, however I'm still big on the opinion that Airbus make the safest planes in the world. where Boeing simply upgrade their aging planes with an "ER" on the end of the Model Number, Airbuses continuing development of noticeably newer safer smoother quieter Aircraft is put simply, the pride of european engineering.

I will always feel safer jumping onto an Airbus Industrie Aircraft, than a Boeing.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my thoughts go out to the families and freinds of those lost in this tragedy

R.I.P those on board

Jason & Helen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Edited as I don't want arguments in a thread such as this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
This may be true, however I'm still big on the opinion that Airbus make the safest planes in the world. where Boeing simply upgrade their aging planes with an "ER" on the end of the Model Number, Airbuses continuing development of noticeably newer safer smoother quieter Aircraft is put simply, the pride of european engineering.

I will always feel safer jumping onto an Airbus Industrie Aircraft, than a Boeing.
**EDITED** Have a look at the A320 which executed a missed approach and subsequently crashed into trees. Then have a look at the french government cover up including the changing of the flt data recorders for the court case. Then read the transcript from the pilot in command who spent a year and a half behind bars for assumed negligence, when in fact his engines took over 26 seconds to respond to command.
Whilst you're at it, look at the A380 wing box test, the failure at 145% (short of the 150% minimum) and the reclassification of the rules to avoid any further engineering costs and weight.
Then have a look at the A340 and have a listen to what the boss of Emirates shouted at the paris airshow a couple of years ago about the inability to fly with full fuel, freight and pax.

Not trying to be insensitive here but Airbus don't make the best airplanes; we have 4 A380's and they achieved best ontime service for the first 4 months, then went to poo. Now, at any given stage you will find atleast 2 of them in maintenance with issues such as fuel pumps, control issues and a whole host of other things (not us but someone else had 2 electrical fires).

Atleast Boeing develop their aircraft technology in the military for 20 odd years before applying it to commercial aircraft; one of the reasons the 787 which has yet to fly has over 900 orders and the A380 languishes at around 200 (although several customers are trying to get out of their contracts). The 777 is the safest aircraft ever built in history, the 747 has flown equivalent klm to and from the moon over 30,000 times and every 4 seconds, somewhere in the world a 737 takes off. Lets not also forget the fact that the new, longer 747-8 will actually be able to get into airports after various regional curfews due to the noise it doesn't make, as well as the fact that with a new upper deck/sky suite, new wings, new engines, avionics and the 787 interior; the 747-8 is already more successful than the A380.
**EDITED**

With the A330 crash, many including Airbus are tipping a fly by wire problem. This has been evident before, we had an A330 climb and then nose dive over western australia a little while back, as well as an A330 with Jetstar that was into its fifth flight when over Indonesia the number 2 engine shut down for no reason, and couldn't be relighted even at 10000 feet. Further, a SA A330 had the same issue with a nose dive, and in this instance a few people lost their lives. Worldwide, the fly by wire system has been problematic, with various airlines reporting irregularites and uncommanded control issues.

With the Air France A330, there was over 12 data submissions sent by the plane warning of catastrophic sytems and control failures to company maintenance; basically the aircraft dropped from an altitude of between FL380 and FL350 when the failures commenced to the ocean surface in speculatively 3 minutes. This would have meant a dive over 12000 feet per minute which would have caused the airframe into overspeed and most likely break apart before impact. RIP to all those who lost their lives.

Quote: