Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Default Mulally says Ford now has competitive edge

This is the article I mentioned in another thread. It basically states that Mulally got everything he wanted from the union and bond holders and Ford Motor Company is set.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mulally says Ford now has competitive edge

CEO believes key concessions will allow automaker to survive industry's crisis
Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Dearborn-- When Alan Mulally flew into town a little more than two years ago to take the top job at Ford Motor Co., many wondered what an aerospace executive from Seattle knew that Detroit's best and brightest did not.

Plenty, apparently.

Days before word that General Motors Corp. CEO Rick Wagoner was ousted by the Obama administration as part of a plan to provide GM with more federal aid, Mulally sat in his corner office on the 12th floor of Ford headquarters with a grin on his face.

Asked why he was smiling, he did not hesitate: Ford has won all of the concessions it needs from labor and investors to weather the industry's crisis -- even if car and truck sales continue to decline.

Just three months ago, Ford said it might have to join GM and Chrysler LLC in asking Washington for help if auto sales did not bottom out by May or June.

But Ford has since reached an agreement with the United Auto Workers to reduce labor costs, and Ford bondholders snapped up an offer to swap debt for equity in the company, money-saving moves that put Ford on a more level playing field with Asian rivals.

"We are competitive now," Mulally told The Detroit News in an interview Friday. "The downturn is a temporary thing. We just have to make it through it."

Analysts are predicting that March auto sales, to be released on Wednesday, will come in well below February's dismal numbers -- demand fell 41.4 percent last month compared to a year ago -- suggesting that there is no end in sight to the sales slump that has automakers reeling from Detroit to Tokyo. But Mulally said Ford has taken all the steps necessary to respond to the crisis.

Over the past month, the automaker has convinced UAW members to accept major modifications to the union's labor contract. Sources say those concessions will cut Ford's labor costs to less than $50 an hour, putting it on par with Japanese manufacturing operations in the United States. Ford also offered bondholders a debt restructuring that was oversubscribed within a couple of weeks.

"Investors jumped on the offer like it had slapped their mothers," said analyst Shelly Lombard of Gimme Credit. "Ford will shed $2.2 billion of bank debt, $4 (billion) to $4.4 billion of bonds, and $4.9 billion of convertible notes. That's $11.1 (billion) to $11.5 billion or almost a third of its $36 billion of debt. And we estimate Ford will save as much as $600 million of interest expense (annually)."

Now, Mulally says, it is just a matter of continuing to match production to the actual demand for Ford's cars and trucks.

Judging by inventory levels, Ford has been doing that. Despite the sales drop, the company ended February with 32 percent fewer vehicles on dealer lots than a year ago.

Ford could still benefit from more consolidation among its dealers and suppliers, but that is likely to occur organically given the weak economy.

"They've done what they have in their control to do, and they've done a terrific job doing it," said David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor. "There's nothing obvious left to do."

Consumers appreciate Ford's effort to save itself without government loans, Mulally said, and that is having an impact on the showroom floor. Still, some have suggested that Ford is playing a dangerous game by touting its self-reliance when the industry's recovery is far from certain.

Mulally is adamant that the only scenario that would force Ford to ask for government aid now is if the country's economic decline dramatically worsens. He is confident that the Obama administration will not let that happen.

"We have the economy on the top of the agenda, and we're moving decisively to deal with it," Mulally said. "We're not taking taxpayer money."

Cole said that message has resonated with American consumers, who mainly oppose anything resembling a bailout. But he stressed that Ford cannot begin to rebound until there is a broader recovery in the U.S. auto market.

"The problem isn't May or June anymore, it's January or February of next year," Cole said. "If things continue to be this bad for a long time, they'll be in the soup with everybody else."

bhoffman@detnews.com (313) 222-2443

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Sounds great to me. Well done Mulally and the team from Detroit!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Scott

That's a nice write up, I hope it holds water for the future. I love good Ford news but I am a little skeptical with just how much of a turn-around the company has had in such a short period of time. Time will tell but it sounds good.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the good news coming, Steve - always great to hear it...

Now if only the Oz press would pick up on some of it and start re-publishing it...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Steve

Keep it coming.

Can you answer something for me? Whey did Ford sell of the large truck business in Europe (Iveco) and the US (Stirling). Also, why did they sell of the tractor division. Ford was the largest producer of tractors in the world and had a great product line up.

I cannot understand why Ford let these markets go and then bought up car companies that has since had to offload.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I knew about Mullaly's success at Boeing so I had faith in Mullaly soon after he started. It appeared immediately that he was about to change the culture of Ford. Much to the betterment of the company.

I personally didn't think that unloading Jaguar and Land Rover was a good idea after all the money invested and they seemed about to both turn solid.

Anyway the economy turned south and it turned to be a great decision.

Congrats to Ford, the workers and the boards for accepting his vision.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford is creating revolution for automobile production in the US, something the company is good at...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I love reading articles that have nothing but good things to say About Ford and how its being run these days!! :
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Definitly seems to be turning for the better, nice to see Ford on the positive side of the media for the first time in a long time.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Steve

Keep it coming.

Can you answer something for me? Whey did Ford sell of the large truck business in Europe (Iveco) and the US (Stirling). Also, why did they sell of the tractor division. Ford was the largest producer of tractors in the world and had a great product line up.

I cannot understand why Ford let these markets go and then bought up car companies that has since had to offload.

Steve

Sorry, I have no insight on these events.

GTP006, you are right to have reserved optimism. It is wise to take such news with a view of "let's see how it is in 6 months". As an employee that has watched Mulally since the day he stepped in through the door (metaphorically) I personally have less reserved optimism and accept a little more at face value as Mulally has demonstrated his ability to follow through on his statements. There's never been a guy like him here in my 16 years at Ford.

I hope this specific article gets picked up and published in as many outlets as possible. What gets me is that it puts to rest the claims of many that say "The UAW is killing them" when Mulally says "Ford has won all of the concessions it needs from labor..." and "Ford is now competitive". Hey, if the top man at Ford says all is good with the UAW who can complain? Who would know better?

As for the reporter of this article, he is probably one of the best reporters I have seen. He keeps his views neutral and just reports. He does get facts from various angles to include in his reports but that is just being all inclusive. I also have not seen him put spin on his reports. We've had a number of exchanges of emails and I've praised him for this as well.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

The US car market is still buggered though, what with the bankruptcy of GM imminent now.

Someone had to weather the storm, sounds like Ford are gonna do just that.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Great news, after what Mulally did at Boeing, ford could not have a better CEO.
The only thing that GM should really hope for now is that scientists could somehow make a clone of Mulally. Luckily, this news is also making TV in the USA, you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2J04bN6Ijo

Quote: