Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
tim2x

Default Short attention with video games. Anyone?

Hi guys.

Do any of you guys have a short attention span with video games? Back in the day i played thru most final fantasys and metal gears and all that But lately... I can't really just GET into any games. Last one was gears of war. But finding most likely that i cant spend more than 10 minutes on a game.

Anyone have this problem ? OR do i just have a short attention span.

tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Yes! Thats why I don't play games anymore :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

You have a phenomenon called "Age". I too am possessed of this Phenomenon! rare as it is, it has benefits. you begin eating and drinking regularly, as well as attending your vehicle more. the moss growing around your feet(that may or may not have grown roots) is beginning to leave you, and as you drive to work every day, you think to yourself...why the hell did I ever play them in the first place?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
tim2x

All too right sloxr6. after coming home from work i do rather do other things. But i miss the feeling of getting indulged in a video game like the old days!
Old 19-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Yeah, I have a short attent. . . . . . What was the question?
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Yeah, I have a short attent. . . . . . What was the question?

The question was.......hey, something shiny.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, me too. A good use of a PS3 in our joint it seems...not!
Old 19-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2x
Hi guys.

Do any of you guys have a short attention span with video games? Back in the day i played thru most final fantasys and metal gears and all that But lately... I can't really just GET into any games. Last one was gears of war. But finding most likely that i cant spend more than 10 minutes on a game.

You're not playing the right games any more, I guess :P

Have you heard of a game called The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, on PC? Check it out, that is one game that takes a lot of time to go through, and is very interesting.

Also check out a game called Civilization IV. That game will keep you stuck to your computer every single night.

But if you want some fast paced action to waste a couple of bored hours with, try out Call of Duty 4, Multiplayer. Can't get any better shoot em ups than that!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
balthazarr

I think the only games that I have ever finished are God of War and God of War 2...

I tend to get bored and/or frustrated and turn it off, never to return.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
tim2x

I finished god of war. That was fun. Call Of Duty 4 was actually good as well too. Ill check out obvilion... I want some more games like FF 7 8 Or 9. Those were awesome. Final Fantasy 12 Just NEVER grabbed me....
Old 19-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope - then again i am only 20 - 21 in june..

i can happily spend 12 hours - straight - playing wow. although its more like digital crack then a videogame lol..

I finished FF12 in 3 nights night when it first came out - well i was up til 7:30am so a little bit more but you know..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the story doesn't grab me, I can't play it. There are so many games that I've bought and not finished because of it. Far Cry 2 would be the latest one.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2x
Hi guys.

Your becoming too old to be a gamer or are growing out of games.

Or simply the games today people are making don't care as much about as they used to and there fore they aren't as good making you lose interest.

Its huge debate about which reason it could be but everyone is different.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
F6T
Has V8 envy

I think it's just a matter of becoming older with more responsibilities. I am now 30 but since the nintendo and sega days, I've played just about everything since. Would not blink at spending 70 hours on Final Fantasy 7 and playing it through 5 or 6 times. Played all the other epics aswell. Have owned just about every platform that nintendo, sega, sony, microsoft havae pumped out.

Now, I have the worst case of game DNF (did not finish). Not because, I've lost interest, but just don't have the time to dedicate to it. Currently, I am part way through Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3, resident evil 4, final fantasy X, Champions of Norrath, Assasins Creed, Bioshock, God of War 1 and 2, Prince of Persia, Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda TP. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Still, can't wait to get my hands on the new Street Fighter.

Oh, and cannot wait for Starcraft 2. That will have me up through the nights if I have to.

One of the reasons I've never touched WoW is because I know it will eat ever last inch of my spare time for family, eating, socilaising, sleeping.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
gozza

i go through phases of intense gaming. I won't touch the xbox for months. The i get an urge to spend complete weekends on a game. I actually going through a nerd phase right now haha. I didn't bother to finish GTAIV when it came out. I didn't like it. But for some reason i had an urge to play it and im enjoying it more the second time round
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I kinda lost the urge to game last year, I used to heaps now i just can't do it much anymore. I bought Midnight Club LA and got my second car, then didn't play it for months, then played it for 10 minutes the other day and quit. I've also got Oblivion which I played for about a grand total of 4 hours then quit.

Only games I've played through is:

Guild Wars

and the Metal Gear Solid series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
balthazarr

I reckon part of the problem is the old, same old, same old...

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but very few games are innovating... it's just the same old re-hash of an existing theme... almost every game these days seems to be a sequel of a sequel of a sequel ad infinitum.

Improved graphics is not innovation, IMHO.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny this thread pops up, I've been expirening the same thing for a while. I've got a PS3, the big HD LCD, the surround sound.. yet, I can barely play a game for an hour. And its usually weeks between sessions.

I'll buy a game here and there, and it will keep me going for maybe a week, on and off.

However, with a PS3 Im not losing money not using it. When Blu-Ray takes the cake, I'll have the player ready to go.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
When Blu-Ray takes the cake, I'll have the player ready to go.
Then the blueray drive will crap itself. My sons just did a few weeks ago and seems to be fairly common. Talking to the repair bloke, he reckons the more you use blueray discs in them, the quicker they die :

Cheers,
Dave.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 23, work 10 hour night shifts.... i have PS3 X-box 360, and Nintendo wii.... only one that gets a workout is the Xbox nowdays.... Halo 3 online with mates.... or Battlefield Bad Company online on PS3...

I usualy only play now on sunday nights... i meet up with 3 mates and we all play halo 3 and drink beer for a couple hours.

Finished the Final fantasy games all accept 12... final fantasy 10 all my characters have like, 50,000 health :P so i got addicted lol

Played World of warcraft...got level 80, now i havnt touched it in 2 months.....

I sit at work surfing the forums and playing simple, easy card games, and looking at carsale websites :P I'd rather be out and about with friends than sitting infront of a computer or gaming system... with the girlfriend nagging me.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a PS3 but don't play it heaps, use it more for music and movies. I don't understand how people can sit at a PC or game console and play it for hours on end.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I have a PS3 but don't play it heaps, use it more for music and movies. I don't understand how people can sit at a PC or game console and play it for hours on end.

10 hour night shift looking after 30 people with mental health issues..... they sleep all night :P that's how. lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 19-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #23
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Then the blueray drive will crap itself. My sons just did a few weeks ago and seems to be fairly common. Talking to the repair bloke, he reckons the more you use blueray discs in them, the quicker they die :

Cheers,
Dave.
true when you play a game it reads the disc once when you play a movie it is constantly reading it ,my ps3 just crashed a few weeks out of warranty :evil3:
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm hearing the WOW addictions here. Guilty as charged.

I have a PS3, I'll play for maybe 1-2 hours every second day. Doesn't help that most games these days can be finished easily in half a day. So I like to spread mine out.

Played the ring out of Fallout 3
and now I'm playing Killzone 2.

I'm just hanging for FF13!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am now the same as you guys, but I also get a bit funny trying to sit through a movie. I get about half way through and if the story has not grabbed me by then, I switch off and start cleaning or something else productive. I don't like this whole growing up thing........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #26
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I am now the same as you guys, but I also get a bit funny trying to sit through a movie. I get about half way through and if the story has not grabbed me by then, I switch off and start cleaning or something else productive. I don't like this whole growing up thing........

HAH me too, i usually watch a DVD a night at work... but i have to be in the mood to watch, usualy comedy when im tired, easy to watch....

Tried to watch 28 days later..... "Don't , those monkeys are diseased!..." Epic fail... Eject... Bin.

i got 5 mins into it and turned it off, diseased monkeys, come on, give me some substance ! idiots.... :P night shift has made me bitter lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 19-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #27
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I don't play PS3 ne more, I sold it to another forum member because it just sits there gathering dust. I had one Blu-Ray disc which got watched once and then became an antique.

Xbox 360 on the other hand, I played that religiously online until my live memebership ranout. COD 4 Modern Warfare has to be that best online game, it's addictive. GET IT!!!
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #28
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I don't play PS3 ne more, I sold it to another forum member because it just sits there gathering dust. I had one Blu-Ray disc which got watched once and then became an antique.

Xbox 360 on the other hand, I played that religiously online until my live memebership ranout. COD 4 Modern Warfare has to be that best online game, it's addictive. GET IT!!!
Yeah i wanted to get that game for Xbox...

My girlfriend plays PS2 games on the PS3, we got one of the 80 gig ones that play PS1 and PS2 games.

My friends only have halo 3... so we play Halo 3, and halo wars online lol

we hardly ever play, but because we're old and dont care about dieing, we still end up beating these lil american punks who sit on it all day lol
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 19-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #29
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havnt really been grabbed since the days of the SNES and Megadrive. We didnt really grow up with video games from a young age, sure we had an Atari 2600.. one of those updated slim one, and a Gameboy, and PC.. but we never had a console dominating the family room till about 1997, when the SNES was going out of date, got one for xmas, with a bunch of games tied into a bundle.

The MK3 & trilogy, Donkey Kong trilogy.. the Mario series. Killer Instinct. Still got the console today, in A1 cond. Great games to play.

I think in those days, I think you appreciated the games a little more, as consoles werent as wide spread and as accessable to every one. When I was in Grade 6, 1995.. I think one kid had a Mega Drive II in my year, and another one or two had NES/SNES's.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #30
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be flat out into the 64 when i was younger, used to play ps1 with my cousins all the time. Got a PS2 and it'd be lucky to have 40 hours on it since i got it... I went through a stage for 6 months all i would do after work/weekends is play PC games like cs, tf2, wow, etc. Got a 360 used it for a little bit then forgot about it, got back into it for a few weeks then lost interest again... Last game i really got into was halo and guitar hero....
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post