Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default F6X is dead

Its officially finished, a major dissapointment, getting nowhere near its predicted sales volumes, but with next to nothing spent on it compared to the TTG it was bound to happen.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25756A00440CED

Mentions diesel power for next year too.

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I don't think it will be missed. It was a good performer but the looks were a bit 'In you face'.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not too surprised either, In brisbane since their release i reckon i have seen maybe 3 on the road, not that they jumped out at you too much. It is a shame though, its never good to see them try something different and then it backfire on them, their less likely to take a gamble on the next thing.
smacxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Axing the F6X is a better decision than making them in the first place.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
the looks were a bit 'In you face'.
You serious?

Let me guess, you find a bowl of Weetbix a bit full on too don't you?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Have you seen the interior of the F6X?
Old 28-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

You win some...you lose some.......

At least they tried. If FPV didn't there would have been a thousand threads denigrating them for not doing so.

The next line up to keep an eye on will be the GT E and F6 E........wonder if they will see the same fate ??
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Doesn't surprise me to be honest, I remember having this conversation in this very same space when it came out, not different enough from the Turbo Territory, and priced too close to the Europeans to be too much of a sales success, during tough economic times, it is always the niche markets that fall first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I don't think it will be missed. It was a good performer but the looks were a bit 'In you face'.
In your face, yeah in the same way a Camry is.
Old 28-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its officially finished, a major dissapointment, getting nowhere near its predicted sales volumes, but with next to nothing spent on it compared to the TTG it was bound to happen.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25756A00440CED

Mentions diesel power for next year too.

'bout time.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

Good riddance to it...

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexxy
Good riddance to it...
What did it ever do to you?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Is this a Ford forum?

*maybe I logged onto ls1.com?
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good riddance to it...
+1.

Too many other options available to make it viable. Territory turbo is a much better buy, as is the XR6T, G6E T, possibly GTE, etc....

Its quick for a high rise car, but thats it..

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
The next line up to keep an eye on will be the GT E and F6 E........wonder if they will see the same fate ??
At their current pricing level...probably.
Old 28-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew that was doomed from the beginning....The demographic that is in the market for a performance vehicle and those looking for a FWD are about as far apart as Mercury and Pluto
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I knew that was doomed from the beginning....The demographic that is in the market for a performance vehicle and those looking for a FWD are about as far apart as Mercury and Pluto
Pete..I think you're right......

The HiPo end of the SUV buyer market are all looking for something stylish, something that displays status and an interior that has everything bar the kitchen sink.........that's why the X5 sells in spades and there are probably more AMG ML63's sold than the poor old F6X despite the intergalactic price tag.

The F6X was a confused attempt by FPV to embrace the SUV market........but unfortunately, with that weird stripe package, the stale wheel design and an interior ripped straight from Liberaces wardrobe..........it was as desirable as a botched up circumcision...........

But ........as I said earlier.........they gave it a go at least.....and it shows that FPV had the courage to try something that maybe they themselves weren't quite sure of ??
Old 28-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
FGXR270
Banned

Quote:
Good riddance to it...
flexxy your avatars a ripper ay.
FGXR270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who says the F6X (or the GT-E/F6-E) is too expensive is totally clueless about what these cars deliver compared to equivilant euro offerings..
I'll go the other way, maybe it was too cheap.
Look at the price and appointment of BMW/AUDI/PORCHE/MERC SUV's....
Maybe if it was more GT/F6-E "ish" and closer to 100k it might have sold better..

Last edited by 4Vman; 28-02-2009 at 06:28 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Anyone who says the F6X (or the GT-E/F6-E) is too expensive is totally clueless about what these cars deliver compared to equivilant euro offerings..
True, in comparison to the Euro's that are coming to Australia they are very good value, but the fact of the matter is that it has a Blue oval on the front and the back, and when it comes to cars that are 70k+ new you are paying, in part, for the lable.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I think the issue is more about what the F6X offers compared to its younger brother the TTG !!!!!!!!

More often than not.........the terms value and exclusivity are mutually exclusive. Exclusivity will demand a premium regardless.........but part of exclusivity is desirability and status........the F6X just doesn't quite get there..........its in no mans land..........hence why not many men have purchased it.............In fact, its what the whole FORD / FPV brand struggles with generally.........It's seen more as a value brand.............and based on that, it will struggle to demand a premium $$$ retail price based on that perception.........its why people will buy FORD / FPV's in the first place........value for money........bang for your buck etc etc.

The marketing gurus at HSV realise this which is why they have been branding their premium products as HSV for quite a while...........FPV have finally caught on with the FG. By disassociating themselves with the mainstream FORD branding......they're kind of getting away from the FORD = value and mainstream product image and probably hoping for the FPV = exclusivity and desirability.........aka F6E and GTE product lines.

We'll have to wait and see if it works...........FORCE 8 and FORCE 6 says historically NO.........but then again.they were FORD badged and not exclusively FPV's.....
Old 28-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #21
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

All it needed was a better Kit and i swear it would of done better

But i have only ever ever ever seen one on the roads!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #22
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'll go the other way, maybe it was too cheap.
Look at the price and appointment of BMW/AUDI/PORCHE/MERC SUV's....
Maybe if it was more GT/F6-E "ish" and closer to 100k it might have sold better..
I guess they should be selling the TX for $60k then. :

It's problem was the TTG, a complete lack of difference to the TTG and no FPV in it. The car itself was a ripper, no doubt, however when your major visual difference to it's Ford base is a white interior, and a sticker pack, an idiot could have seen it was doomed. Actually if your interested go back to when it was released and look at all the comments then. It actually sold a few more than a number of Territory and FPV fans predicted in these forums.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok

Last edited by Grunter; 28-02-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I think the issue is more about what the F6X offers compared to its younger brother the TTG !!!!!!!!

More often than not.........the terms value and exclusivity are mutually exclusive. Exclusivity will demand a premium regardless.........but part of exclusivity is desirability and status........the F6X just doesn't quite get there..........its in no mans land..........hence why not many men have purchased it.............In fact, its what the whole FORD / FPV brand struggles with generally.........It's seen more as a value brand.............and based on that, it will struggle to demand a premium $$$ retail price based on that perception.........its why people will buy FORD / FPV's in the first place........value for money........bang for your buck etc etc.

The marketing gurus at HSV realise this which is why they have been branding their premium products as HSV for quite a while...........FPV have finally caught on with the FG. By disassociating themselves with the mainstream FORD branding......they're kind of getting away from the FORD = value and mainstream product image and probably hoping for the FPV = exclusivity and desirability.........aka F6E and GTE product lines.

We'll have to wait and see if it works...........FORCE 8 and FORCE 6 says historically NO.........but then again.they were FORD badged and not exclusively FPV's.....
I do agree with allot of what you say, Ford make life hard for themselves by offering such extreme value for money lower down the range, that said "value for money" is very dependant on your "value set".
As an interesting comparrison i just went to the BMW site to option up a 260kw X5 to something close to F6X in spec, performance and appointments... it came to $142k.... Kind of makes the F6X at $70K a bargain, but then again as has been noted by many people here the 50-70K bracket seems to bring out the biggest most over demanding tight bums in the performance segment.

Old 28-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I do agree with allot of what you say, Ford make life hard for themselves by offering such extreme value for money lower down the range, that said "value for money" is very dependant on your "value set".
As an interesting comparrison i just went to the BMW site to option up a 260kw X5 to something close to F6X in spec, performance and appointments... it came to $142k.... Kind of makes the F6X at $70K a bargain, but then again as has been noted by many people here the 50-70K bracket seems to bring out the biggest most over demanding tight bums in the performance segment.
It is most definitely a bargain...........and herein lies the paradox........most people will see an F6X buyer as a cheap bargain value hunter way before seeing them as the astute buyer that gave up the X5.........

not the image that the buyer or FPV had in mind I bet ?????
Old 28-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
It is most definitely a bargain...........and herein lies the paradox........most people will see an F6X buyer as a bargain value hunter way before seeing them as the astute buyer that gave up the X5.........
Yes.. which brings me back to my original postion.. maybe the F6X was too cheap, and needed a bit more polish and less "stick ons", one thing it definately didnt need was a body kit.., its definately not a "boy racer" proposition like other FPV offerings, i see it more in the GT/F6-E segment.

Here's another way to view the paradox: do people see the X5 as a better premium "value for money" proposition because of its price or because of its appointments and quality? because i see X5's on the roads where i live all the time.., so they are selling, and for significantly more $$$ than the F6X...

Old 28-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #26
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Yes.. which brings me back to my original postion.. maybe the F6X was too cheap, and needed a bit more polish and less "stick ons"....

Here's another way to view the paradox: do people see the X5 as a better premium "value for money" proposition because of its price or because of its appointments and quality? because i see X5's on the roads where i live all the time.., so they are selling, and for significantly more $$$ than the F6X...
Only problem with that argument is that the poor old F6X buyer looks like the moron that paid 40K more than the astute buyer who bought the TTG.......

Sometimes you just can't win..........which is exactly why FPV have pulled the plug.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Only problem with that argument is that the poor old F6X buyer looks like the moron that paid 40K more than the astute buyer who bought the TTG.......

Sometimes you just can't win..........which is exactly why FPV have pulled the plug.
well maybe 20k... or 10k for the ghia...

Old 28-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
well maybe 20k... or 10k for the ghia...
I was going by your original 100K estimate...........LOL
Old 28-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #29
Trendseeker

The people who've recently bought them for sub $60K got a bargain. Cutting off production now at roughly 220 units in total will make them a collector's item and will improve resale value in the future, IMO. If I had one, I'd hold onto it. Sad to see it go.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #30
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008WhiteSR
The people who've recently bought them for sub $60K got a bargain. Cutting off production now at roughly 220 units in total will make them a collector's item and will improve resale value in the future, IMO. If I had one, I'd hold onto it. Sad to see it go.
I doubt it. It's no limited edition collectors item unlike the Cobra's, GT40's etc. That it only sold 220 odd units indicates a sales failure - not a limited edition model.