Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How to remove fuel pump/clean sock

I'm having trouble taking the fuel pump out. So far I have removed the fuel lines and hose clamp. What is there left to do and how do you do it? Is is a screw top or something?

Also, what sort of cleaning agent can I use to clean the sock?

Cheers.

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Froudey
Banned

get a large screwdriver and a rag. place the rag ontop of the top of the fuel sender and hit the screw top off firmly but gently as not to break the tips of the screw top.
Froudey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a picture I found on the forums. Where abouts are the screws you mentioned?

EDIT: Do you mean the ribbed plastic around the edge? Tap them with a rag in an anti-clockwise direction?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Undo that hose clamp first then undo the screw cap as described above. You'll also probably need to remove the fuel lines. A small screwdriver and a lot of patience is required for that.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the screw driver goes into the grooves I circled in the pic below?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

That's it, just use a rag and as much of an angle as you can get then hit the screwdriver with a hammer to undo it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that. Any tips on what I can use to clean the sock? Maybe Metho?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

As silly as it sounds wash it in petrol as the bulk of the dirt should be on the outside of it , as it is basicly the first filter, However if it is that full of crap I would be thinking that the tank may also need a clean out as it would have some major contamination issues.

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it a good idea to run the tank down to almost empty before I take the pump out as it is almost full right now or will it be fine doing it now?

EDIT: Before I even pull it out, could a dirty sock cause rough idle?
Old 13-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Before you go to all the trouble of removing the fuel filter, clean your throttle body and Idle Speed Solenoid, if you haven't already done so. If either is gunked up, your idle will normally be rough.

I've found that spraying Throttle Cleaner onto a lint free rag and cleaning inside the throttle body, until all the black gunk is removed, will help the idle smooth out. Just don't leave any bits of rag or cotton lint inside the throttle.

You could then remove the Idle Control Solenoid and spray Throttle Cleaner into both chambers and let it sit for a couple of minutes. This will loosen the black gunk that has built up in the chambers. Gentle persuasion with a very small scraper or screw driver will help remove it.

Replace the ICS and with both cleaned up, you'll probably find that you won't have to remove the fuel filter at all.

Good Luck..
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've tried all that. Changed plugs, leads, fuel filter, pcv etc. Thanks for the help though.

Can anyone confirm that this is a possible cause of rough idle only as the car otherwise runs fine or would I notice it under load also?
Old 13-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I'd go for a dribbly injector based on what you said
It will drip when it's not supposed to and cause the motor to stumble at idle but at acceleration it gets burnt up quickly so no problem

I checked the sock on mine once and it wasn't even there, if it is blocked it should idle OK but at power it would restrict fuel flow then.

Another way to remove the screw lid thing is to get a helper, put 2 large screwdrivers in opposite notches and use another bar/screwdriver to twist by putting it between the other 2. Saves breaking the plastic as much.

Also clean the dirt off the top off the area before you start, otherwise it may go into the tank.

Doesn't hurt to siphon a bit out from the bottom of the tank to make sure there is no water in there either.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info Jastel. I'll try and get my brother to let me swap his over with mine before I fork out cash to have mine cleaned. Would there be any issues with doing that i.e. having to replace o rings once the injectors are out?
Old 15-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Just dont lose the o rings, they sometimes stick in the manifold or sometimes fly off, put some vaseline on them to put back in.
The metal clips can be a pain by flying off or dropping somewhere too

Sometimes you can even see the injectors are blocked with the naked eye

Cost me about $100 to get mine cleaned
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post