Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Top Gear in HD

For those who have not noticed, SBS has upgraded its HD channel from 576P to 720P (the same as ABC and BBC). Tonight's Top Gear should be a huge improvement in clarity.

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great info, thanks
but most of us would have already seen the episodes currently airing wouldn't we ? ;-)
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Marduk
BFII XR6

Nice, good to hear.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
For those who have not noticed, SBS has upgraded its HD channel from 576P to 720P (the same as ABC and BBC). Tonight's Top Gear should be a huge improvement in clarity.
Excellent, what time is it on? Its about time SBS HD has gone up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Now they need to show us the Full episode, instead of the cut down version. It really isn't the same as the full version.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Was so funny though watching them race buses
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always loved the Daytona! Another great episode...
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Excellent, what time is it on? Its about time SBS HD has gone up.
7:30, I missed out!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Was so funny though watching them race buses
That has got to be the funnyest thing I've seen in a while!
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

So funny seeing Richard smiling like he has just lost his cherry and James looking like he needs to pee blood after the riviera race.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
great info, thanks
but most of us would have already seen the episodes currently airing wouldn't we ? ;-)
now how would one do that???:dr_Evil:
one would have to transport ones' self into the future wouldn't one?

cough finalgear cough cough
my favourite part on tonights episode was the SIARPC featuring the guy from grand designs. I would never have picked him to be a good steerer. JK has the whole reckless rocker attitude but this guy strikes me as the ultra conservative type.wow!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
So funny seeing Richard smiling like he has just lost his cherry and James looking like he needs to pee blood after the riviera race.
Also seeing huge-*** vehicles like Buses go sideways, especially that long one with the rubber thing connecting it together, I've always wondered if my school bus could go sideways haha and now I know it can
Quote:

Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Also seeing huge-*** vehicles like Buses go sideways, especially that long one with the rubber thing connecting it together, I've always wondered if my school bus could go sideways haha and now I know it can
So it was the episode with the 2 bendy buses...?

IIRC, one of those guys was almost drifting one of those buses, or at least diving into the corner and braking late and hanging the back out. Rather skillful for something that big.

The guy that was tipping the double decker must have cojones the size of bowling balls.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had SBS HD 720P in Sydney for the past few months. Would prefer 1080 for my full HD though...

LOVED the Portofino to St Tropez race. My wife and I are huge Italy fans. We have already replayed it twice. How awesome was that boat too? But my wife and I will take the Daytona though every time though, James didn't look like he was enjoying himself that much. Hell if I was able to drive there right now I would settle for a Hertz Opel Corsa!

Bus race was great too.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

That bus race! How many times did the double decker almost lay down? Articulated bus sideways, they all have brass for body parts that shall not be mentioned on family friendly forums!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #16
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very good episode, sadly i had to watch this one in crappy normal definition! For some reason it would be on for like 3 or 4 seconds before the tv lost the signal, ive got a 1080i 42" HDTV, i dunno if it was because of the updated HD or if it was because i had the PS3 running on the HDMI channel at the same time?

That boat was unreal, like something you'd see from James Bond, however the car was nice too, and it certainly got a lot of peoples attention.
The bus race was insane, doubt the Aussie crew could come up with something as entertaining as that!

BTW did anyone watch the Bugatti lap last week? I was surprised it wasnt the fastest around the track, i get the feeling the car was just too planted, as you can see by the pagani zonda's lap.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Too bad they aren't filmed in HD, last nights broadcast was as bad as the downloaded copy I have from finalgear.com.

When you compare SBS Top gear to Terminator 3 on 9HD or the Superbowl on 10HD its like chalk and cheese. This was on a Pana 50" FullHD Plasma (850a).
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Hmm I noticed Chanel 30 on my plasma (SBS HD) has dissapeared to a black screen about 4 days ago - I thought SBS were having problems....Does this mean I somehow have to reprogram the channels on the tv?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Does this mean I somehow have to reprogram the channels on the tv?
Yes it does.

There was a message running across the bottom of the screen that this was going to change in the last few weeks. You just need to reprogram and it will be all good.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah, who needs drifting jap cars when you can drift a bendy bus!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #21
TZENU
XY Driv3r

That was a pretty good episode... The bus racing was unreal..... .And that boat, bloody hell that thing moved along the water... What was it worth 1,250,000 euro???? And it even had an awesome carbon fibre toilet..
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
doubt the Aussie crew could come up with something as entertaining as that!
Problem is, that if they did do something like that, everyone would whinge and complain about how reckless and wasteful they were being.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Too bad they aren't filmed in HD, last nights broadcast was as bad as the downloaded copy I have from finalgear.com.

When you compare SBS Top gear to Terminator 3 on 9HD or the Superbowl on 10HD its like chalk and cheese. This was on a Pana 50" FullHD Plasma (850a).
I actually got the opposite result. I have lots of episodes of TG recorded in 576P off SBS and last night I recorded it in 720P. It is also broadcast by BBC in UK in 720P and is definitely recorded in HD.

It was far superior last night to previous broadcasts. Equip used, Wiz P1 and 60" FHD.

I cannot compare it to 1080i last night as did not watch T3 as I have it on HD-DVD or superbowl as I only watch football not video games with live actors.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #24
PoMmYwOG

you's are all lucky, i was watching it in HD until the GF came in and decided that 2.5 men was more important, to save arguing and missing the show i had to watch it in the bedroom on my 51cm CRT analog TV:(

still awesome episode...loved the white bus drifting...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
I actually got the opposite result. I have lots of episodes of TG recorded in 576P off SBS and last night I recorded it in 720P. It is also broadcast by BBC in UK in 720P and is definitely recorded in HD.

It was far superior last night to previous broadcasts. Equip used, Wiz P1 and 60" FHD.

I cannot compare it to 1080i last night as did not watch T3 as I have it on HD-DVD or superbowl as I only watch football not video games with live actors.
You are incorrect, Top Gear has never been filmed in HD, however season 13 due to start in June in the UK will be the first season to be filmed in HD.

Any recordings you have in 720p are just upscaled SD, like 90% of the HD content.

Further to that SBS does not have all the equipemt to broadcast HD yet, the upscaler has been upgraded to bradcast 720p on the HD band but all the content is upscaled 576i/p. Picture quality will sharpen and improve on the channel but its not HD. There won't be native HD (1080i to 720p) on SBS for a while.

Links http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=73402

And http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/01/...de-coming.html
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
You are incorrect, Top Gear has never been filmed in HD, however season 13 due to start in June in the UK will be the first season to be filmed in HD.

Any recordings you have in 720p are just upscaled SD, like 90% of the HD content.

Further to that SBS does not have all the equipemt to broadcast HD yet, the upscaler has been upgraded to bradcast 720p on the HD band but all the content is upscaled 576i/p. Picture quality will sharpen and improve on the channel but its not HD. There won't be native HD (1080i to 720p) on SBS for a while.

Links http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=73402

And http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/01/...de-coming.html
Really? The upscaler works well on the Top Gear Blu-rays.......
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #27
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this may be a little off topic and for that I am sorry, but is there going to be a series 2 of TGA? anybody know?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Yes, James Morrison the jazz trumpeter is the new host
Charlie is out
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Really? The upscaler works well on the Top Gear Blu-rays.......
*sigh* Yes really, please see here http://www.finalgear.com/news/2008/0...r-to-be-in-hd/

Clearly states that Top Gear is an SD production and always has been, anything mastered to Blu-Ray is upscaled from 480p. It might look good (because uncompressed SD looks 100 times better than the shait we get on free to air), but its not HD, and its definatelynot Full HD.

Only the Polar Special is in Full HD, which if you have on Blu-ray will look as good as season 13 not yet recorded.