Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Tuning after X1 SCT

Ok, so we are all pretty aware about whats going on with SCT, and there software.
My question is this, what do we use for tuning now?
Im aware there is Chiptorque and unichip, but both arent really at the tuning capabilities of what SCT offer.
Do we update to x2 or 3, that would be great, but those of us with an X1 already would need to fork out another $1000 plus just for the tuner.
And whos to say that the situation wont happen again with the x2, when they want to outdate it and introdue x4, will they again come up with an excuse to completely disable the x2.
I also dont want to give these people another cent of my money, but if its the only real viable option, I will need to do what I need to do.
There is Sniper tuning, it does AU's but Im sure there is only one place in WA that really uses it.
MoTEC, full stand alone computers?
VCM suite?

Where do we go, what do we do. I know we have 90 days to update our tunes, mines already booked in on the 9th, but what do we do after that?

Discuss it as much as you want, Id love to hear what the AU guys are thinking and what you are planing on doing next.

Josh

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
jetute

was going to keep what I had... but have now decided that if the problem is not 100% resolved, I will be going sniper

BF mk11 XR6T ZF in neo
jetute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

OK, would this scenario be possible.
Find a tuner that has ver2.9, give them $50 to burn it off, and get a copy of it for yourself.
Bring it home, and make a few duplicate copies so that when you reach the 300 upload limit, delete all existing files, uninstall and reinstall.
When your car needs tuning, take the CD, the computer, your car and flash tuner doorstop with you, and let them tune your car on your computer on their dyno.
Yes I understand this would probably be piracy and is illegal, but is that scenario a possibity?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I'm lucky im in WA. I will definitely be going Sniper.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

im sure i read in the other thread that xcal3 does not do AU falcons?

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
UU TS50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
OK, would this scenario be possible.
Find a tuner that has ver2.9, give them $50 to burn it off, and get a copy of it for yourself.
Bring it home, and make a few duplicate copies so that when you reach the 300 upload limit, delete all existing files, uninstall and reinstall.
When your car needs tuning, take the CD, the computer, your car and flash tuner doorstop with you, and let them tune your car on your computer on their dyno.
Yes I understand this would probably be piracy and is illegal, but is that scenario a possibity?
I'm sure that within the ranks of the AU guys, there must be someone familiar with software!

If only i didnt quit software engineering after 1 year, lol

Mine is booked in next Saturday, hopefully get it completed!

Gonna suck for Joe tho, he was gonna bundle my completed tune with his cam and sell it. Dunno if he will still be able to do that now?

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Cam
Stroking it...

I think I will stick with my reprogrammable Chiptourqe chip for now, I was hoping to change to a flash tuner, am awfully glad i didn't..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
I'm lucky im in WA. I will definitely be going Sniper.
+1 to that mate
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Does EMS stinger work with the AU ecu?

I was very close to getting the SCT unit but after this fiasco, forget it. Im prepared to pay more to someone else who can give me as good a product.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Go the moates gear and do it all urself, thats what i do, and can do anything the SCT stuff can. Cost me $300 and a lot of time, but its worth it to not pay these rip of scums.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

never heard of that, any links? more info? Can it be done in SA?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I would be buying another brand of car :P

But yeah, Id go a stand alone computer, motec, haltech, stinger...
SCT can get stuffed, always didnt like my flash tuner for some reason.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #13
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Well considerin the flash tuner loads a "standard tune" back into your car that was neva there in the first place.

www.moates.net - is there website

It is chip tuning, and there is no advantage to falsh over chip, you can have multi programs and switch over between them without even turning off the engine, you can also buy an ostrich 2.0, and real time tune your standard eec.

The software i use to tune is tunerpro RT, www.tunerpro.net

What u do is read your standard eec by plugging into the J3 port, u can then email me a copy and i'll make a quick definition file for you, every catch code is slightly different, and i have been trying to get a read from all AU's so that i can get a full database goin to tune every model.

Once u have a def setup, which can be as complicated or simple as u require, u can make your fuel/timing changes etc. burn your chip and plug it in. you then have a tune to suit your car, not a generic tune file, that doesn't even use the original program made for your vehicle.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Justin@
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Well considerin the flash tuner loads a "standard tune" back into your car that was neva there in the first place.

www.moates.net - is there website

It is chip tuning, and there is no advantage to falsh over chip, you can have multi programs and switch over between them without even turning off the engine, you can also buy an ostrich 2.0, and real time tune your standard eec.

The software i use to tune is tunerpro RT, www.tunerpro.net

What u do is read your standard eec by plugging into the J3 port, u can then email me a copy and i'll make a quick definition file for you, every catch code is slightly different, and i have been trying to get a read from all AU's so that i can get a full database goin to tune every model.

Once u have a def setup, which can be as complicated or simple as u require, u can make your fuel/timing changes etc. burn your chip and plug it in. you then have a tune to suit your car, not a generic tune file, that doesn't even use the original program made for your vehicle.
Hey mate,
You might have covered this but i just want to know what models Moats gear covers?
is it easier than the flash tune?
what can we expect in power gains?
when are you able to start doing cars?
cheers
justin
Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The moates gear will do all falcons up to S3 AU, then they changed the eec in BA's and removed the J3 port, tuning wise it is the same as the flash tuner, except your using the tune file ment for you car from ford, just modifying the actual tune parts.

Tuning with the ostrich is easier/faster and you can obtain more power in less time than with a flash tuner, with flash tuning, they have to put a tune file on, run it up, see the power, turn car off, change settings, program flash again, run it up, try it. over and over again, with the ostrich u set the car to hold down at 3000rpm, vary the fuel mixture slightly in small jumps until u make max power at that rpm, u then move to the next rpm hold the car down and do the same, until u are making max power at all rpm's. A full tune could be done in less than 2hours, and yet making every ounce of power the engine has, from idle too max rpm.

As for tuning them, i am willing to put my time into helping anyone with theirs no probs, I have been trying to find an afforable dyno for a while with the plan of opening a workshop, which once i come across one at a resonable price i'll jump on it.

The reality of the whole thing is that it does not take a genius to tune a car, the whole thing is u let the engine tell u what it wants. If u go leaner and loose power, than go richer.

If u get a knock sensor, and give it a little more timing, and it starts to detonate, well knock it back 2degree's from where it starts too, to give a safety barrier. nothing to difficult here, just some common sence.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #16
Justin@
Banned

Mate this sounds like a great idea. Is there anything that can be done to get this up and running faster?
Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

What do you actually need from the Moates site? Getting a bit confused with all this stuff on there, lol.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Cam
Stroking it...

I had looked at moates as an alternitive, if i could pass the car to someone to do, then i would. But i cant imagine I'd be keen enough to risk grenading my engine and do it myself at home
Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need the burn2 unit, the F2A adapter to read/write the chip
the F2E adapter plugs into F2A and eec to read it.
The F3 Chip is a 2 program chip, so u can store to seperate programs on it.

What i have been thinking about doing is getting onto moates and trying to work out an australian dealership etc. So that we can bulk buy them at a better price, and less postage cost to make it even quicker and cheaper.

As for making it quicker, its more dependent on getting the equipment first, which only took 4 days for me to get mine last time anyway.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cam why cant u pass ur car to someone to do with it?

If u have it all set up ready to go, and drive into a tuning workshop, there is absolutely no reason why they couldn't tune it for you.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Cam why cant u pass ur car to someone to do with it?
Well now that tuners cant offer too many alternitives, i guess there isn't! :

But then theres possibly not much reason I'd go this over my reprogrammable chiptourqe chip, if i was going to pay someon else to tune it
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate your spot on, no reason at all. You already have a good system that is working for you.

I wouldn't mind actually getting hold of a chiptouque or powerchip myself for a play, curious to see if I can read/burn them. plus i wouldn't mind comparing their changes with a factory tune. But with everything their is a risk that in doing so i could end up damaging the chip, so it'll probably never happen.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

In todays dollars, the price is $258 odd. Is that all you need, plus the free programing program?
Do you put it all together yourself?
Is the interface easy to use?
Im not good with electronics though :(
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #24
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah mate its all assembled ready to go, the software u can download, and if u pm me, i will send u a BIN (eec program) and a def file, and can give u some instruction with it, so u can get the idea.

Anyone else interested in having a good look, just pm me your email, and i'll send ya my tune file and def so you can have a look.

Just download the tunerpro RT from www.tunerpro.net

There is a 10sec start up screen u have to wait thru asking for donations but thats it.

Actually i'll add in that i am normally on msn, so if u have msn let me know in pm and can chat ya thru it all, and answer any questions.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #25
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm interested, might do this and go sell my flash tuner to some oblivious fool on ebay, lol j/k. If it only costs $258 why isnt there more AU and pre AU guys using this? 5.0whiteaughia. can you post or pm more information about this.
I think it would be good if someone could arrange with a seller of the gear a bulk buy, not nescesarily a discount buy, but just an easy way for those interested to put our money together and buy it all at once and get it sent out, so yeah a group buy without the discount, however a discoutn would be nice :P

If we can get something going, would be great to all learn the software and hardware together and teach each other how to tune with it.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

PM sent.
Josh
Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate ive brought this up several times on the forum, rarely is anyone interested, at which i can only put it down to people being scared to tune there own vehicle, but yet still as mentioned, if u can guide your way around the software, then there is no reason why u couldn't take your car ready with lappy in hand to a tuner and tune it.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm bit keen to look into this!!
now just need a job and a dyno... i know Rod from Raw Performance (Hotrod on here) built his own dyno from some website.. seems pretty straight forward
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #29
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11248535

A clear thought process wen't into this, despite all the BS!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #30
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I had a little break from the forums .What has happened to the edit? Is it gone? In any case I have been running the haltech interceptor piggyback and its all I really need. I have the wideband logger and away I go.Tune for economy as the day goes on via my laptop lol.Got a bit tired of having to go back to tunning shops and paying for every little mod I did with the cost of a tune on top.It was money well spent and took the car from 14.5 edit tuned to 14.2 me tuned..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post